4.5 months post-op!!

  • orcapeach15
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
      hello!

      I haven't posted too much on here, but before, during and even
      now, after my surgery, i read the posts all the time and appreciate
      all the help i was given. I never thought i'd make it through that
      recovery.

      I'm now 4.5 months post-op. I had my upper jaw shortened and moved
      forward, my bottom jaw moved forward, genioplasty and my wisdom
      teeth taken out. i was wired/banded with a splint for 10 days, which
      overall really wasn't too long compared to how long most of you have
      to be wired shut for, but it seemed like forever. Anyways, now here
      i am, 2 weeks away from being 5 months post-op, i never thought i'd
      get to this point.

      I'm still a little swollen in my cheeks around my nose, but only i
      can tell, the feeling in my gums and chin is coming back slowly and
      my bite and joints still feel funny but my doc said the joints would
      take about a year to re-form so it's normal if they feel wierd.

      I got my braces off 2 weeks ago which was the greatest feeling ever,
      and i saw my surgeon after i got them off and he pretty much cleared
      me. Told me i am allowed to eat anything i want and can run, play
      basketball and snowboard. So the next time i see him will be a year
      from my surgery date. It was kind of sad after getting my braces off
      and getting cleared from him, because for the past 3 years of my
      life i have been seeing my surgeon and for the past year have been
      seeing my orthodontist every 3 weeks and as happy as i am that i am
      pretty much done with this whole procedure, i'll kind of miss them,
      as funny as it may sound! hehe.

      Well i just wanted to share my post-op status for anyone who is
      going through the process right now. As far away that the light at
      the end of the tunnel seems, you will reach it someday. And you'll
      look back on the surgery and recovery and it will just be like a bad
      dream. That you will hopefully never have to experience again! Good
      luck to you all!
    • cberkshire
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
        Thanks for sharing your story-and Congratulations! It's encouraging
        to hear how things have gone for you and I hope to be in the same
        place as you one day.I've had the braces for only 2 months and I
        already can't imagine what it will be like to have them gone!So far
        so good, I have had very little pain after those first 2 weeks where
        wax was my best friend! My spacers didn't hurt too much and the
        adjustments don't bother me very much either...hoping for the best re
        the surgery!:)

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "orcapeach15"