Re: 5 weeks post-op

  • jendai17 <jendai17@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
      Hi Jen!

      I am SO glad to be out of the wires. I have a splint and i HATE
      it. :) I slur right now so people still have a hard time
      understanding me. it doesn't bother me physicallly, doesn't get in
      the way when i eat...i just talk like a complete drunk.

      hmm...the worst thing I've tried to eat is chips. and i ate like TWO
      after breaking them up and stuff. I'm never doing that again. LOL
      the worst i've done lately is tried to eat very soft brisket. that
      was kind of tough...esp since the meat tasted so salty!

      I got copies of my xrays on Thursday when i saw my surgeon. I never
      really realized how bad my open bite was before. i mean..i knew it
      was bad. but seeing the before and afters...it's so different. I
      wonder if I can get photos from my orthodontist too. hehehe. I
      cant' open my mouth that wide. not even 2 fingers right now. but
      last week it wasn't even a full finger wide i could open. but my
      mouth never did open wide before. after surgery my surgeon was
      all "man. we really had to stretch your mouth..it's such a small
      mouth" i'm not sure about measurements..i don't think he measured
      me pre-op.

      YOu lost that much weight too? heheh. my first week out of surgery,
      i dropped 12 lbs. I didn't eat. i was bad..i just moped
      around...sucked down the pain meds and stuff becuase i had to. by
      the time the wires were cut, i lost about 25 lbs. and i was scared
      too about gaining the weight back. I need to lose some weight. hehe.
      but i've lost another 5 lbs since the wires were cut...so 30 lbs
      total. it's up and down every day...depending on what i eat. this
      is the BEST diet ever! hahaha. i just hope i can take more off...and
      keep it off.

      recovery has been excellent since the wires were cut. that month
      was tough...but it wasn't TOO horrible. i learned alot, honestly.
      hehehe. patience, listening, how skipping a meal won't kill
      me...lol. and i kind of enjoyed being wired...as sick as it sounds.
      if I could talk and been wired..i think i would have been fine w/
      it. but it was a blessing when i saw people i didn't want to talk
      to. i didn't have to talk! hahaahah. but you learn alot about
      yourself. what you can handle physically, emotionally. that first
      week i kept saying "WHY did i do this to myself?" now i think "i
      wouldn't have done it any other way".

      oh goodness. i went on and on. lol. i better stop now. hahaa.

      take care, Jen (in Canada). Where in canada are you again? you
      know....i shoot up to Toronto once a year to visit my massive family
      that lives up there. are you in that area?

      -Jen (in Texas)

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "ginnyfur25
      <ginnyfur25@h...>" <ginnyfur25@h...> wrote:
      > Hey Jen,
      >
      > wasn't it such a blessing to be out of those wires?? luckly i
      didn't
      > have a splint, but i have heard they can be a major pain!
      > when i went back to school everyone kept saying how i looked so
      > different, they are still telling me! infact my guidance
      counceller
      > and a teacher i had last semester didn't even recognize me! i
      really
      > don't see what is so differnt, but everyone says its a change for
      the
      > better! which i can kinda see cause now when i smile you can
      actaully
      > see my teeth! (you couldn't before because i had a pretty bad open
      > bite)
      > I've actaully been quite brave with the food, my surgeon told me
      > stick to potatoes, chinese food, fish, moist meat, any kind of
      soup.
      > I've been eating a lot of kiwi and peaches. i've also been eating
      > cheetos (don't know how i lived without them!) i just break them
      into
      > small enough bites and let them soften up in my mouth.
      > I thought i would have started to gain weight after i got the
      wires
      > cut...but no! before i got them cut i had lost about 18 pounds,
      and
      > as of today i've lost 22! not really sure what to think about that
      > considerign my surgeon told me i'd lose 10!
      > How far can you open? i can easily get 2 fingers in, almost 3. i
      got
      > my mom to measure and i'm about 26mm or so. how has your recovery
      > been so far?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jen...in Canada

    • lacrossebabe_26
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 22, 2008
        hi everyone!
        I am new to this group and just started reading everything today. I
        will be 5 weeks tomorrow, upper and lower. They widened my top jaw and
        pulled my bottom jaw forward quite a bit. I did pretty good, minimal
        swelling with lots of congestion. The pain was bearable up until this
        past friday. I stopped taking my pain meds at about a week and half,
        but had to take them this past week. I broke out in hives and became
        very itchy. My left ear/jaw joint is very very painful to the point of
        tears. My question is do you think my regular doctor (not oral surgeon)
        would prescribe pain medicine? My oral surgeon is not in on Mondays and
        I do not have an appoinment until tuesday. I can not wait until then, I
        am in a lot of pain. thank you all

        alice
      • vejaeju
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 22, 2008
          Your OS should have someone on call for him on weekends or a phone
          number where you can reach him/her in case of an emergency. They
          usually can call in pain meds for you. All you have to do is call the
          office main line and listen to the recorded message to the end. It
          will tell you how to reach the doctor or whoever is on call for
          him/her.

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, lacrossebabe_26
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > hi everyone!
          > I am new to this group and just started reading everything today. I
          > will be 5 weeks tomorrow, upper and lower. They widened my top jaw
          and
          > pulled my bottom jaw forward quite a bit. I did pretty good,
          minimal
          > swelling with lots of congestion. The pain was bearable up until
          this
          > past friday. I stopped taking my pain meds at about a week and
          half,
          > but had to take them this past week. I broke out in hives and
          became
          > very itchy. My left ear/jaw joint is very very painful to the point
          of
          > tears. My question is do you think my regular doctor (not oral
          surgeon)
          > would prescribe pain medicine? My oral surgeon is not in on Mondays
          and
          > I do not have an appoinment until tuesday. I can not wait until
          then, I
          > am in a lot of pain. thank you all
          >
          > alice

        • celiag9000
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
            yes - definitely call your surgeon. he/she should be available until
            you are well. surgeon can call in any meds you might need. good luck.

            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "vejaeju"