Re: Jaw Surgery - permanent numbness

  • fiddlesticks22000
    Message 1 of 45 , Sep 1, 2002
      My guess is yes. I had upper/lower/genio surgery last Tuesday the
      27th of August, and prepared for it by having some manual lymph
      drainage therapy before surgery to "open things up" (they go into
      shock after surgery), and also afterwards the day I got out of
      hospital. It has dramatically reduced swelling and subsequent
      numbness, although I still do have some (I can feel it going down
      hour by hour now). I go on Tuesday for another session, and may have
      one more after that depending on the extent of my swelling.

      The lymph network runs over your entire body, and consists of lymph
      nodes and lymph vessels. There are many vessels, or chains, in the
      face, mandible and neck (or cervical). The physiotherapist explained
      to me that the lymph pathways are, in some cases, as fine as a silk
      thread, and easily blocked, causing fluids to back up into the
      tissues causing swelling. The more swelling you have, the more
      possibility of nerve distress or numbness. I can't answer about the
      permanency of it, but my theory, confirmed by the physiotherapist,
      was that the sooner I could get the swelling down, the less nerve
      distress and hence numbness I would encounter. And it's been just
      like that for me. Despite having quite a lot of surgery, I have very
      minimal swelling and little numbness, mostly in areas that are
      difficult for me to self-massage using the techniques she taught me.

      It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a professional look at opening up
      your lymph network. My physiotherapist trained at the Vodder Clinic
      in Austria, and says that you can surf their site to see
      physiotherapists in your area that may have trained there (it's a
      paid listing though, so not all participate).

      Cost to me was CAD 95 an hour. I expect to have a total of 4
      treatments, including the pre-op one, when I'm all done.

      I hope that helps. This therapy is very commonly used for breast
      cancer patients who have had their lymph nodes removed.

      Susan
    • fiddlesticks22000
      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 6, 2002
        Well, I didn't know that the lymphatic system shuts down when we
        sleep. That's very interesting.

        It could be taking longer after the sessions because you
        wren't "opened up" with a treatment pre-op, and also waited so long
        post-op, but I could be wrong. I'm in no way an expert on this stuff!

        I don't think my therapist wants to see me daily as she's given me
        exercises I can do myself. Plus, she is extremely busy. She wants to
        follow my case personally, and is away next week, but thinks I'll be
        ok until she returns, and I'm having another session on Sat 14th of
        Sept, hopefully the final one. But she says, come back if you notice
        any swelling.

        Good news, just got my insurance payment receipt in the mail - my
        benefits package says I need to have a referral from a physician to
        have this covered, but they covered it without! I was going to ask my
        surgeon for a referral next week, but it looks like I don't have to.
        On the downside, they only covered $50 of $95, but at least it's
        something. The balance was paid from tax-free dollars out of my
        health care spending account, which is going to be rapidly depleted
        when I hit it with my surgeon's out-of-hospital fees.

        Let me know how it goes, ok?
        Susan

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@y..., john_taylor_ca