Re: It's been a long time!

  • ceast36532
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
      Congratulations, Denise. It's time for you to move on, and find other
      things that keep your energies and attentions.

      I don't think they think you're crazy. I think maybe they don't know
      how to fix it, or think you have to wait a while longer to get where
      you want to be. I'd be impatient -- heck, I AM impatient. But no,
      once again, the answer is that nobody knows how long. Keep on
      working, and keep on keeping on, and maybe it will happen before you
      expect it.

      I am so glad to be as far along as I am -- and thanks! -- and my
      little short fat legs are racing as fast as they can to keep out in
      front!

      I wish you well. Count every zippie, and every penny and tell them
      you wanna know how they're counting, too!

      C.
    • sorejuel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
        Denise wrote:
        >> I had my surgery 5 months ago today, I can't believe it has been
        > that long now. Time has flown by and I'm doing very well. I can
        > open my mouth 38mm which is still about 8mm short of what I was at
        > before surgery. Time will tell if I will be able to get that extra
        > 8 back.

        Good going, Denise! Thanks for taking the time to update us. You've
        got great mobility. How soon were you instructed to do exercises and
        what specifically did you have to do? My daughter is supposed to do
        some every 20 min.--I don't think it's happening that frequently. ;)

        I have absolutely no cracking when I
        > open mouth so all that is hopefully gone forever. The pain is
        > completely gone but once in a while I get a little twinge. The
        > numbness is going away gradually but I have seen a lot of
        > improvement in the last 2 weeks. My bottom lip and chin are still
        > slightly numb on the right side and I feel like I'm drooling
        >because > it is a little cold.

        Since you mention cracking and pain, I assume you had some sort of
        TMD going on pre-op. Is that the case? How bad was the TMD? What
        were the procedures you had done--was it lower and upper for class
        II? We're hoping that the miserable TMD problems my daughter had pre-
        op will be gone. She still has some cracking in one joint but no pain
        like she did before surgery. I'm glad to hear your numbness is going
        away--hope it all continues to improve. Sue
      • turtle21sp
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
          Denise,

          It's good to hear about the progress you've made. I'm 4 months
          post-op, so not far behind you. I understand the part about your jaw
          not feeling that it doesn't belong to you, because I feel the same
          way about my upper jaw, even more so since I got my braces off last
          week. I don't know if the fact that mine was segmented makes any
          difference--was yours? It still feels rather "stiff," though the
          exact feeling is impossible to describe. My lower jaw has never
          bothered me much except for a little tingling, but the upper has
          always felt kind of foreign. It's not really bothersome, but just a
          daily reminder that I had the surgery.

          Regarding your other post about insurance, I was shocked when I saw
          the claims to my insurance company and what they paid. I knew what
          my surgeon's fees were, and insurance only paid about 20% of that.
          Fortunately, his office told me that they would write off the rest.
          I haven't received a bill from the hospital, but know that a
          relatively small percentage was paid by insurance. However, it is
          really difficult to understand how they can charge so much for so
          little. I did not see an itemized list, so I don't know the cost of
          the small tube of medicated Vaseline that helped to save my lips.

          I'd be interested to know when you reach the point that your jaw
          feels like your own. It's hard for me to imagine not thinking about
          it daily, but I look forward to that day. I hope it comes for both
          of us soon.

          Best wishes for continued healing and recovery. Sandy

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@y..., niserise <no_reply@y...>
        • niserise
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
            Hi Sue, I was told to do five minutes of exercises every 2 hours or
            so. I started doing exercises as soon as the wires came off, 4 weeks
            after surgery. My doc told me to open as wide as I could until I
            was uncomfortable, then to move my mouth from side to side as far as
            I could and from front to back as far as I could. I still don't
            have good side to side movement but don't see any problems with that
            so far.

            > Good going, Denise! Thanks for taking the time to update us.
            You've
            > got great mobility. How soon were you instructed to do exercises
            and
            > what specifically did you have to do? My daughter is supposed to
            do
            > some every 20 min.--I don't think it's happening that
            frequently. ;)

            I had cracking on the right side due to 4mm bone loss on the
            condyle. Nothing was done to build up the condyle but the surgery is
            supposed to prevent any more loss. I'm wondering if the cracking
            will come back when I can open all the way. I wish wonderful things
            for your daughter's recovery.

            Denise

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
              HI Sue, I sent the previous message and forgot to tell you what I
              had done. My lower jaw was advanced 10mm and my upper jaw was
              widened several millimeters, I'm not sure how many.

              Denise

              > Since you mention cracking and pain, I assume you had some sort of
              > TMD going on pre-op. Is that the case? How bad was the TMD? What
              > were the procedures you had done--was it lower and upper for class
              > II?
            • niserise
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                Hi Sandy, I can't tell you how good it is to be able to talk to
                someone that knows what I mean about my jaw not being my own! I
                think it is the stiffness you mention that makes it weird and it is
                impossible to describe, especially to those who have never had jaw
                surgery. My lower jaw was advanced 10mm, my upper jaw was widened
                but only splint down the middle, not segmented. I had no screws or
                plates in the upper and only 2 screws in the lower. Wires held me
                together for 4 weeks with a splint in between. I've healed very
                well and get my braces off in the next few months. I was hoping it
                would make me feel more like they are my own but, from what you say,
                it may be just the opposite. I guess I just have to wait and see.

                Denise

                > week. I don't know if the fact that mine was segmented makes any
                > difference--was yours? It still feels rather "stiff," though the
                > exact feeling is impossible to describe. My lower jaw has never
                > bothered me much except for a little tingling, but the upper has
                > always felt kind of foreign. It's not really bothersome, but just
              • shavis121
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                  Hi Denise -- Thanks for the post.

                  It's nice and interesting to hear post oper's recovery status.

                  Best Wishes,

                  Randy

                  wrote:
                  > Hi everyone, I have been off the board for a while due to very
                  busy
                  > life being 5 months post-op. It seems that the farther I get away
                  > from the surgery, the less I feel the need to talk about it. I
                  > think we all go through that as we recover. Especially if the
                  > experience was a good one.
                  >
                  > I had my surgery 5 months ago today, I can't believe it has been
                  > that long now. Time has flown by and I'm doing very well. I can
                  > open my mouth 38mm which is still about 8mm short of what I was at
                  > before surgery. Time will tell if I will be able to get that extra
                  > 8 back. The scar tissue needs to get softer and stretch more
                  before
                  > I will be all the way there. I have absolutely no cracking when I
                  > open mouth so all that is hopefully gone forever. The pain is
                  > completely gone but once in a while I get a little twinge. The
                  > numbness is going away gradually but I have seen a lot of
                  > improvement in the last 2 weeks. My bottom lip and chin are still
                  > slightly numb on the right side and I feel like I'm drooling
                  because
                  > it is a little cold. I keep wiping my mouth because of the drool
                  > feeling but nothing is there. This too shall pass soon. The
                  > problem is that I am rubbing my lip raw and that isn't good. My
                  > brain just needs to get used to the feeling and realize that it
                  > isn't really wet. It's that phantom feeling thing again and I'm
                  > grateful that it isn't painful.
                  >
                  > My biggest complaint is that my jaw still doesn't feel like it's my
                  > own yet. My orthodontist doesn't understand this at all and there
                  > is no one else I can talk to about this because they think I'm
                  > crazy. Does anyone here know what I'm talking about? If you do or
                  > did, how long will it be before I am completely comfortable and
                  feel
                  > like it's all mine? I once had a bridge put in and it took me over
                  > a year before I got used to it. Weird huh? I hope you guys know
                  > what I mean, I don't of any other way to describe it.
                  >
                  > Congratulations Cammie! I'm so happy that you are on the other
                  > side. Isn't it great to not be nervous about it anymore? Things
                  > can only get better from here. You done good. I was reading some
                  > post and came upon your surgery story. I thought, "Oh, I don't
                  > think I'll read this as I have read so many and am past that now."
                  > Well, it was riveting and I enjoyed it tremendously. I read it all
                  > and was there with you as you went through everything. Your doctor
                  > and hospital are very thorough and I didn't have to go through many
                  > of the procedures that you had to. I didn't have to take any
                  > showers or even brush my teeth and I got to check in 2 hours before
                  > the surgery began. You put up with a lot and came out the other
                  > side all the better for it. I'm proud of you. Good luck with your
                  > recovery and I hope that you fulfill your promise to be the
                  quickest
                  > and easiest recovery your doc has ever see.

> [...]
                • cshecmia
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                    --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@y..., ceast36532 <no_reply@y...>
                    wrote:

                    Cammie,

                    Sorry to hear that the numbness has really set in..that's probably
                    why you keep hitting your jaw. I'm glad that you're being
                    appropriately pampered. Are you losing weight? Keep resting and
                    recuperating. I loved your post op account. Made me clean out my
                    purse in anticipation of the big day.

                    Cheryl

                    > Congratulations, Denise. It's time for you to move on, and find
                    Heyother
                    > things that keep your energies and attentions.
                    >
                    > I don't think they think you're crazy. I think maybe they don't
                    know
                    > how to fix it, or think you have to wait a while longer to get
                    where
                    > you want to be. I'd be impatient -- heck, I AM impatient. But no,
                    > once again, the answer is that nobody knows how long. Keep on
                    > working, and keep on keeping on, and maybe it will happen before
                    you
                    > expect it.
                    >
                    > I am so glad to be as far along as I am -- and thanks! -- and my
                    > little short fat legs are racing as fast as they can to keep out in
                    > front!
                    >
                    > I wish you well. Count every zippie, and every penny and tell them
                    > you wanna know how they're counting, too!
                    >
                    > C.
                  • ceast36532
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
                      Wheee! Cheryl -- down about 12 pounds, I think. And that's Good
                      Thing, although I have not been particularly trying. Just haven't
                      cared. But yessm,s and sirs, I have eaten my spinach and yogurt and
                      ice cream and sweet potatoes and all that good stuff. Even!! Shrimp
                      Mousse!

                      I believe that would fall under the category of "pampered out of her
                      mind," actually.