Re: Dr. W. Arnett, Santa Barbara

  • mattbslo
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
      Val

      I'm an hour north of Santa Barbara, I chose to go with a surgeon in LA
      rather than Arnett.(I actually had 2 surgeons in the OR during the
      procedure) While Arnett is renown and is supposed to be very good, he
      will always suggest implants for your cheeks even if you dont need
      them. He does not use a hospital after the surgery but rather a place
      where you get your own room etc.
      Personally, after my surgery (4 months post) I was VERY glad to be IN
      the hospital. I dont care how trained the people are at the place he
      uses, it's 10x more comforting to know if something went wrong I'd
      already be in the place where they could get to work immediately and
      have a complete staff availible in case of a reaction to pain killers
      etc.
      Also, beware Arnett's attitude. He will seem very cold and uncaring
      but that is just his nature and it obviously doesn't matter to those
      that flood his office and make him hard to meet/schedule a surgery
      with.
      My advice is that if you're on the central coast then get
      consultations from people in LA and San Fran since its not that far
      away and is such a major surgery.

      Good luck
      Matt

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@y..., valerit1 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > Anyone had surgery experience with Dr. Arnett?
      > Thanks,
      >

      > Val
    • valerit1
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
        Matt,

        Thank you for the reply! You are the first one I hear some
        critical things about Dr. Arnett from. Could you tell me
        more you know about him? Also, I would appreciate any info on
        L.A. surgeons and orthos you could give me. How was your personal
        experience? Thanks again,

        Val

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@y..., mattbslo <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > Val
        >
        > I'm an hour north of Santa Barbara, I chose to go with a surgeon in
        LA
        > rather than Arnett.(I actually had 2 surgeons in the OR during the
        > procedure) While Arnett is renown and is supposed to be very good,
        he
        > will always suggest implants for your cheeks even if you dont need
        > them. He does not use a hospital after the surgery but rather a
        place
        > where you get your own room etc.
        > Personally, after my surgery (4 months post) I was VERY glad to be
        IN
        > the hospital. I dont care how trained the people are at the place
        he
        > uses, it's 10x more comforting to know if something went wrong I'd
        > already be in the place where they could get to work immediately
        and
        > have a complete staff availible in case of a reaction to pain
        killers
        > etc.
        > Also, beware Arnett's attitude. He will seem very cold and uncaring
        > but that is just his nature and it obviously doesn't matter to
        those
        > that flood his office and make him hard to meet/schedule a surgery
        > with.
        > My advice is that if you're on the central coast then get
        > consultations from people in LA and San Fran since its not that far
        > away and is such a major surgery.
        >
        > Good luck
        > Matt
        >

        > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@y..., valerit1 <no_reply@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Anyone had surgery experience with Dr. Arnett?
        > > Thanks,
        > >

        > > Val
      • stevesf_2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
          Val,

          I had a consult with Dr. Arnett and was very impressed. It was the
          most detailed consult/surgical plan I had received (I had consults
          with two other surgeons besides him).

          I would agree and disagree with some of Matt's comments. I would
          agree that Dr. Arnett (in my consult at least) was a little on the
          cool side. Not unfriendly; just very professional. But I know two
          folks who had the surgery with him and liked him so maybe he's
          friendlier during surgery. :-)

          I would also agree that he is very focused on the aesthetic as well
          as the functional. Obviously, functional is the big issue but he
          tries to make the best of both. But I did not feel any pressure to
          do anything cosmetic one way or the other.

          I think there is some confusion on the hospital issue. You do stay
          overnight in the hospital (St. Francis). You are not moved to a
          separate facility. If you are from out of town, then after your
          hospital stay you need to stay 5-10 days in a local motel of your
          choice. That's basically for the post-surgery appointments. Maybe
          it's different if you are only doing lower, but for upper/lower you
          stay overnight at the hospital. I know with other docs/plans it's
          not uncommon to be sent home the same day if you are having lower
          only. So maybe it depends on what you are having done.

          The big plus with Arnett is that he has done this procedure a lot
          (something like over 4000 times). If you
          call his office, they will send you a pamphlet detailing his
          background and experience. The downside is he is not associated with
          any insurance plans so you need PPO style insurance to use him.

          It's a tough call - either way. All the surgeons I saw seemed
          qualified. You have to weigh everything and make your choice. Feel
          free to e-mail me at steve126@... if you have any questions.

          Steve

          wrote:
          > Val
          >
          > I'm an hour north of Santa Barbara, I chose to go with a surgeon in
          LA
          > rather than Arnett.(I actually had 2 surgeons in the OR during the
          > procedure) While Arnett is renown and is supposed to be very good,
          he
          > will always suggest implants for your cheeks even if you dont need
          > them. He does not use a hospital after the surgery but rather a
          place
          > where you get your own room etc.
          > Personally, after my surgery (4 months post) I was VERY glad to be
          IN
          > the hospital. I dont care how trained the people are at the place
          he
          > uses, it's 10x more comforting to know if something went wrong I'd
          > already be in the place where they could get to work immediately
          and
          > have a complete staff availible in case of a reaction to pain
          killers
          > etc.
          > Also, beware Arnett's attitude. He will seem very cold and uncaring
          > but that is just his nature and it obviously doesn't matter to
          those
          > that flood his office and make him hard to meet/schedule a surgery
          > with.
          > My advice is that if you're on the central coast then get
          > consultations from people in LA and San Fran since its not that far
          > away and is such a major surgery.
          >
          > Good luck
          > Matt
          >

          > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@y..., valerit1 <no_reply@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Anyone had surgery experience with Dr. Arnett?
          > > Thanks,
          > >

          > > Val
        • valerit1
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
            Thank you, Steve. So, he is going to do your surgery?

            Val

            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@y..., stevesf_2000 <no_reply@y...>

          • stevesf_2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
              Yep

              wrote:
> [...]
              > > he
              > > > uses, it's 10x more comforting to know if something went wrong
              > I'd
              > > > already be in the place where they could get to work
              immediately
              > > and
              > > > have a complete staff availible in case of a reaction to pain
              > > killers
              > > > etc.
              > > > Also, beware Arnett's attitude. He will seem very cold and
              > uncaring
              > > > but that is just his nature and it obviously doesn't matter to
              > > those
              > > > that flood his office and make him hard to meet/schedule a
              > surgery
              > > > with.
              > > > My advice is that if you're on the central coast then get
              > > > consultations from people in LA and San Fran since its not that

            • valerit1
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
                Thanks, Steve. If it is not too much to ask - what kind of surgery(s)
                are you getting and how much and for what is he charging you?

                wrote:
> [...]
                > you
                > > > stay overnight at the hospital. I know with other docs/plans
                > it's
                > > > not uncommon to be sent home the same day if you are having
                lower
                > > > only. So maybe it depends on what you are having done.
                > > >
                > > > The big plus with Arnett is that he has done this procedure a
                lot
                > > > (something like over 4000 times). If you
                > > > call his office, they will send you a pamphlet detailing his
                > > > background and experience. The downside is he is not
                associated
                > > with
                > > > any insurance plans so you need PPO style insurance to use
                him.

                > > > It's a tough call - either way. All the surgeons I saw seemed
                > > > qualified. You have to weigh everything and make your choice.

              • gat_jim
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 15, 2007
                  --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, ladybelkus
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Julie OR ANY ONE ELSE WHO MIGHT KNOW: You said "I know there were
                  a lot of people who used to frequent this board that
                  > went to Dr Arnett. He's supposed to be very excellent.
                  Unfortunately
                  > since we switched to groups some people have disappeared. Maybe if
                  > you do a search you can pull up the previous posts about him. As I
                  > remember there were quite a few.

                  HOW DO I pull up the previous posts about him AND OTHER SURGEONS????

                • gb2244
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 15, 2007
                    Gat jim,

                    Just put his name in the search box about the posts...but within
                    this site. A bunch of posts will come up...

                    Betsy

                    --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "gat_jim"