Checking In

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2012
      Hi Everyone,

      I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing. I will be heading back to Dallas again at the end of this month for another minor procedure. All the plates/screws will be removed from the jaw surgery due to a possible biofilm infection. I have been on antibiotics since early November and they are not working. My surgeon stated antibiotics do not kill biofilm infections. I am still waiting on word to remove the prostheses due to being allergic to most of the metals. Fingers crossed this surgery will be done by the end of the year.

      Other than dealing with medical, I have been busy trying to finish up my MBA degree. Looks like I will be about done by the end of this year if all goes well.

      Let me know how all you are all doing. I apologize for not keeping up with the group, but just been so busy!

      Karen--Caboose
    • Elisann
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
        I am confused, I thought you had total joint replacement when you went to dallas, whenever that was. You seem to have had an awful lot of problems, one right after the other. It must be difficult to deal with while trying to finish school.

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <georgek042003@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing. I will be heading back to Dallas again at the end of this month for another minor procedure. All the plates/screws will be removed from the jaw surgery due to a possible biofilm infection. I have been on antibiotics since early November and they are not working. My surgeon stated antibiotics do not kill biofilm infections. I am still waiting on word to remove the prostheses due to being allergic to most of the metals. Fingers crossed this surgery will be done by the end of the year.
        >
        > Other than dealing with medical, I have been busy trying to finish up my MBA degree. Looks like I will be about done by the end of this year if all goes well.
        >
        > Let me know how all you are all doing. I apologize for not keeping up with the group, but just been so busy!
        >
        > Karen--Caboose

      • Karen
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
          Yes, you are correct that I had total joint replacement in 2009. In addition, I had Mitek Anchor, Lefort 4-piece/BSSO in 2008 in Dallas. My first jaw surgery was a Lefort 3-piece in 2005 which was done in Virginia. The reason for this palte/screw removal from the jaw surgery is due to both possible biofilm infection and allergies to the metals. I am not too sure when the prostheses removal will be, but as of now the only option is rib grafting. The plate/screw removal will be done at Baylor Hospital in Dallas.

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Elisann" <el_mcelwain@...> wrote:

          > I am confused, I thought you had total joint replacement when you went to dallas, whenever that was. You seem to have had an awful lot of problems, one right after the other. It must be difficult to deal with while trying to finish school.
          >
          > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <georgek042003@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Everyone,
          > >
          > > I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing. I will be heading back to Dallas again at the end of this month for another minor procedure. All the plates/screws will be removed from the jaw surgery due to a possible biofilm infection. I have been on antibiotics since early November and they are not working. My surgeon stated antibiotics do not kill biofilm infections. I am still waiting on word to remove the prostheses due to being allergic to most of the metals. Fingers crossed this surgery will be done by the end of the year.
          > >
          > > Other than dealing with medical, I have been busy trying to finish up my MBA degree. Looks like I will be about done by the end of this year if all goes well.
          > >
          > > Let me know how all you are all doing. I apologize for not keeping up with the group, but just been so busy!
          > >
          > > Karen--Caboose

        • Elisann
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2012
            I am sorry you are going through this. I hope that is gets better for you. Good luck with any and all surgeries and procedures you have here on out.

            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <georgek042003@...> wrote:

            > Yes, you are correct that I had total joint replacement in 2009. In addition, I had Mitek Anchor, Lefort 4-piece/BSSO in 2008 in Dallas. My first jaw surgery was a Lefort 3-piece in 2005 which was done in Virginia. The reason for this palte/screw removal from the jaw surgery is due to both possible biofilm infection and allergies to the metals. I am not too sure when the prostheses removal will be, but as of now the only option is rib grafting. The plate/screw removal will be done at Baylor Hospital in Dallas.
            >
            > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Elisann" <el_mcelwain@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am confused, I thought you had total joint replacement when you went to dallas, whenever that was. You seem to have had an awful lot of problems, one right after the other. It must be difficult to deal with while trying to finish school.
            > >
            > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <georgek042003@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Everyone,
            > > >
            > > > I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing. I will be heading back to Dallas again at the end of this month for another minor procedure. All the plates/screws will be removed from the jaw surgery due to a possible biofilm infection. I have been on antibiotics since early November and they are not working. My surgeon stated antibiotics do not kill biofilm infections. I am still waiting on word to remove the prostheses due to being allergic to most of the metals. Fingers crossed this surgery will be done by the end of the year.
            > > >
            > > > Other than dealing with medical, I have been busy trying to finish up my MBA degree. Looks like I will be about done by the end of this year if all goes well.
            > > >
            > > > Let me know how all you are all doing. I apologize for not keeping up with the group, but just been so busy!
            > > >
            > > > Karen--Caboose

          • Karen
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2012
              Thanks :)