How long did you need a caregiver?

  • death.disko
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi everyone!

      I'm hoping to have my lower jaw advancement surgery in late Dec or early Jan because that's when I have a break from school. However, my boyfriend works in the grocery industry and it will be hard for him to get many days off during this period because of the holidays.

      So my question is:

      How many days post surgery did you need a caregiver with you 24/7?

      If my boyfriend only gets three days off to take care of me, I'm thinking of asking my friends to check in on me or to take care of me those extra days if I need it.

      Thanks for your help!

      --Shannon
    • Heidi Fink
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2011
        I know the answer to this question varies from person to person, and also depends on how well someone's recovery is going. I had a segmental upper jaw surgery and I only had a 24/7 caregiver for 2 days. However, it would've probably been helpful to have one for another day or two. Some people are actually back to school or work after only a few days (I wasn't one of them!) So, I guess my answer is really not helpful at all...you will just kind of have to wait and see. Two days is probably enough for most people, if you have someone who will be around at least part of the time after that. During the first couple of days, most people are just so tired and swollen, so it's helpful to have someone around to bring you food and other things you might need. After that, you should be able to manage most of those things on your own.

        Good luck and take care,
        Heidi F. :)

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2011
          I had your same surgery. I have some serious medical issues that required
          intensive care for three days after surgery, but when I went home I didn't
          need any extra care. I was able to care for myself, even though my daughter
          and husband were home with me. The did a lot of sleeping, and I did a lot
          of laundry and cleaning! LOL

          Nancy
          --
          Nancy Buckman
          AACC Symphony

        • Karen K
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2011
            Hi. I'd say 3-7 days.

            On Sep 2, 2011, at 5:41 AM, "death.disko" <death.disko@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone!
            >
            > I'm hoping to have my lower jaw advancement surgery in late Dec or early Jan because that's when I have a break from school. However, my boyfriend works in the grocery industry and it will be hard for him to get many days off during this period because of the holidays.
            >
            > So my question is:
            >
            > How many days post surgery did you need a caregiver with you 24/7?
            >
            > If my boyfriend only gets three days off to take care of me, I'm thinking of asking my friends to check in on me or to take care of me those extra days if I need it.
            >
            > Thanks for your help!
            >
            > --Shannon

          • Karen K
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2011
              That is, 3 days min. Preferably 4-5 days depending on your condition post surg. After that, someone nearby here and there for a car lift or help with this and that but not for full on nursing care.

              On Sep 2, 2011, at 5:41 AM, "death.disko" <death.disko@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone!
              >
              > I'm hoping to have my lower jaw advancement surgery in late Dec or early Jan because that's when I have a break from school. However, my boyfriend works in the grocery industry and it will be hard for him to get many days off during this period because of the holidays.
              >
              > So my question is:
              >
              > How many days post surgery did you need a caregiver with you 24/7?
              >
              > If my boyfriend only gets three days off to take care of me, I'm thinking of asking my friends to check in on me or to take care of me those extra days if I need it.
              >
              > Thanks for your help!
              >
              > --Shannon

            • keppers79
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 2, 2011
                I've been wondering about these things myself. Also, how long do you need a driver for appointments? How long are people on drugs to where they can't drive?

                --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Karen K <idiotsparkle@...> wrote:

                > That is, 3 days min. Preferably 4-5 days depending on your condition post surg. After that, someone nearby here and there for a car lift or help with this and that but not for full on nursing care.
                >

                > On Sep 2, 2011, at 5:41 AM, "death.disko" <death.disko@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi everyone!
                > >
                > > I'm hoping to have my lower jaw advancement surgery in late Dec or early Jan because that's when I have a break from school. However, my boyfriend works in the grocery industry and it will be hard for him to get many days off during this period because of the holidays.
                > >
                > > So my question is:
                > >
                > > How many days post surgery did you need a caregiver with you 24/7?
                > >
                > > If my boyfriend only gets three days off to take care of me, I'm thinking of asking my friends to check in on me or to take care of me those extra days if I need it.
                > >
                > > Thanks for your help!
                > >
                > > --Shannon

              • aussiere
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 2, 2011
                  I agree with Karen K.

                  I had upper, lower and genio, so a little more intense. Day 5, I was showering, walking around a little bit and finally had some appetite. I got very fatigued due to the lack of food and that contributed a lot. As far as pain, for me anyway, I was surprised how little there was. I see a lot of people stopping after only a few days. I had my surgery in Costa Rica and I don't think the pain medication there is a strong as they prescribe in the states and I was only given a 3 day supply.
                  --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "keppers79" <kep-at-home@...> wrote:

                  > I've been wondering about these things myself. Also, how long do you need a driver for appointments? How long are people on drugs to where they can't drive?
                  >
                  > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Karen K <idiotsparkle@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > That is, 3 days min. Preferably 4-5 days depending on your condition post surg. After that, someone nearby here and there for a car lift or help with this and that but not for full on nursing care.
                  > >

                  > > On Sep 2, 2011, at 5:41 AM, "death.disko" <death.disko@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi everyone!
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm hoping to have my lower jaw advancement surgery in late Dec or early Jan because that's when I have a break from school. However, my boyfriend works in the grocery industry and it will be hard for him to get many days off during this period because of the holidays.
                  > > >
                  > > > So my question is:
                  > > >
                  > > > How many days post surgery did you need a caregiver with you 24/7?
                  > > >
                  > > > If my boyfriend only gets three days off to take care of me, I'm thinking of asking my friends to check in on me or to take care of me those extra days if I need it.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks for your help!
                  > > >
                  > > > --Shannon

                • Heidi Fink
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 2, 2011
                    I needed a driver for about 2 weeks due to pain medication or just sheer exhaustion.

                    I've been wondering about these things myself. Also, how long do you need a driver for appointments? How long are people on drugs to where they can't drive?

                    --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Karen K <idiotsparkle@...> wrote:

                    > That is, 3 days min. Preferably 4-5 days depending on your condition post surg. After that, someone nearby here and there for a car lift or help with this and that but not for full on nursing care.
                    >

                    > On Sep 2, 2011, at 5:41 AM, "death.disko" <death.disko@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi everyone!
                    > >
                    > > I'm hoping to have my lower jaw advancement surgery in late Dec or early Jan because that's when I have a break from school. However, my boyfriend works in the grocery industry and it will be hard for him to get many days off during this period because of the holidays.
                    > >
                    > > So my question is:
                    > >
                    > > How many days post surgery did you need a caregiver with you 24/7?
                    > >
                    > > If my boyfriend only gets three days off to take care of me, I'm thinking of asking my friends to check in on me or to take care of me those extra days if I need it.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for your help!
                    > >
                    > > --Shannon

                  • Nancy Buckman
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 2, 2011
                      And I should have said that those issues that kept me hospitalized had
                      nothing to do with my jaw surgery itself. If I didn't have those problems I
                      could have gone home the next day with no extra care necessary.

                      Nancy

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 4, 2011
                        Thanks so much everyone! =)

                        I'm very relieved knowing that I will likely only need someone 24/7 for a few days. My bf can easily get a few days off and I can have a few friends on call just in case I need someone for longer.

                        --Shannon

                        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "death.disko" <death.disko@...> wrote:

                        > Hi everyone!
                        >
                        > I'm hoping to have my lower jaw advancement surgery in late Dec or early Jan because that's when I have a break from school. However, my boyfriend works in the grocery industry and it will be hard for him to get many days off during this period because of the holidays.
                        >
                        > So my question is:
                        >
                        > How many days post surgery did you need a caregiver with you 24/7?
                        >
                        > If my boyfriend only gets three days off to take care of me, I'm thinking of asking my friends to check in on me or to take care of me those extra days if I need it.
                        >

                        > Thanks for your help!
                        >
                        > --Shannon

                      • ceast36532
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 4, 2011
                          One key to all this, I think, is flexibility. Do have one (or better yet, two or three) people you can rely on to do whatever winds up being needed. You may need a round-the-clock team of caregivers, or one part time person. But the main thing is, whoever has to be reliable, and you can't know ahead of time.

                          Lower jaw alone is the easiest surgery, I think. The more you have done, the more likely it is that you will need more help. Still, you won't know until you're on the recovery path.

                          Whoever, though, or however many, you need reliable folks. I had lower jaw only, and I think my husband was really frustrated because I didn't need much help. He didn't realize how important it was that I had him nearby -- not to make soup, but to know that he was available it I had worse trouble! And he didn't go waltzing off to spend an afternoon with the guys when I was trying to get better!

                          Cammie

                          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "death.disko" <death.disko@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks so much everyone! =)
                          >
                          > I'm very relieved knowing that I will likely only need someone 24/7 for a few days. My bf can easily get a few days off and I can have a few friends on call just in case I need someone for longer.
                          >
                          > --Shannon
                          >
                          > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "death.disko" <death.disko@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi everyone!
                          > >
                          > > I'm hoping to have my lower jaw advancement surgery in late Dec or early Jan because that's when I have a break from school. However, my boyfriend works in the grocery industry and it will be hard for him to get many days off during this period because of the holidays.
                          > >
                          > > So my question is:
                          > >
                          > > How many days post surgery did you need a caregiver with you 24/7?
                          > >
                          > > If my boyfriend only gets three days off to take care of me, I'm thinking of asking my friends to check in on me or to take care of me those extra days if I need it.
                          > >

                          > > Thanks for your help!
                          > >
                          > > --Shannon

                        • ceast36532
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 4, 2011
                            Actually, Heidi, I think your answer is one of the best -- because it suggests that you can't totally know in advance. You can plan, and try, and if you have piles of people who can be summoned in an instant, (but won't stay if they're not needed, after all) so much the better. But mostly, we can't know all that in detail, and not until we're in recovery can we really know what we will need post-op.

                            That's where docs and family can fill in, though. If any post-op patient finds him or herself needing more than expected, I would hope that a doc can suggest a mode of finding care for the patient who's in need, whether it's a care facility, a visiting nurse or a family member or caring friend or family person. Just important, I think, that nobody wind up alone and wishing for a caregiver, whether it's someone to help make a meal, drive a car or call for help.

                            C.

                            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Heidi Fink <finkheidi@...> wrote:

                            > I know the answer to this question varies from person to person, and also depends on how well someone's recovery is going. I had a segmental upper jaw surgery and I only had a 24/7 caregiver for 2 days. However, it would've probably been helpful to have one for another day or two. Some people are actually back to school or work after only a few days (I wasn't one of them!) So, I guess my answer is really not helpful at all...you will just kind of have to wait and see. Two days is probably enough for most people, if you have someone who will be around at least part of the time after that. During the first couple of days, most people are just so tired and swollen, so it's helpful to have someone around to bring you food and other things you might need. After that, you should be able to manage most of those things on your own.
                            >
                            > Good luck and take care,
                            > Heidi F. :)
                          • death.disko
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 5, 2011
                              Hi Cammie,

                              That's a great point. I'm lucky because I know my boyfriend can take off a few days. If I need help additional days my friend is volunteering to help out. I still think I will create some back up caregivers just in case.

                              My orthodontist and surgeon made the surgery sound so easy. My orthodontist told me I could go back to work and school in a few days. Although I'm sure that happens, I don't think I'm going to be one of those people. I think I will need a break from everything, even if it's mostly for vanity issues. =)

                              Thanks so much for your input!

                              --Shannon

                              --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "ceast36532" <ceast36532@...> wrote:

                              > One key to all this, I think, is flexibility. Do have one (or better yet, two or three) people you can rely on to do whatever winds up being needed. You may need a round-the-clock team of caregivers, or one part time person. But the main thing is, whoever has to be reliable, and you can't know ahead of time.
                              >
                              > Lower jaw alone is the easiest surgery, I think. The more you have done, the more likely it is that you will need more help. Still, you won't know until you're on the recovery path.
                              >
                              > Whoever, though, or however many, you need reliable folks. I had lower jaw only, and I think my husband was really frustrated because I didn't need much help. He didn't realize how important it was that I had him nearby -- not to make soup, but to know that he was available it I had worse trouble! And he didn't go waltzing off to spend an afternoon with the guys when I was trying to get better!
                              >
                              > Cammie
                              >
                              > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "death.disko" <death.disko@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Thanks so much everyone! =)
                              > >
                              > > I'm very relieved knowing that I will likely only need someone 24/7 for a few days. My bf can easily get a few days off and I can have a few friends on call just in case I need someone for longer.
                              > >
                              > > --Shannon
                              > >
                              > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "death.disko" <death.disko@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi everyone!
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm hoping to have my lower jaw advancement surgery in late Dec or early Jan because that's when I have a break from school. However, my boyfriend works in the grocery industry and it will be hard for him to get many days off during this period because of the holidays.
                              > > >
                              > > > So my question is:
                              > > >
                              > > > How many days post surgery did you need a caregiver with you 24/7?
                              > > >
                              > > > If my boyfriend only gets three days off to take care of me, I'm thinking of asking my friends to check in on me or to take care of me those extra days if I need it.
                              > > >

                              > > > Thanks for your help!
                              > > >
                              > > > --Shannon

                            • keppers79
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 6, 2011
                                Hi Shannon,

                                I'm with you a little. I've been worrying about this, because my spouse's work is rather unflexible. He might be able to help me for a week, maybe a few days more, if it is a certain week. My mom might be able to help for a week or two if it is certain time (but of course different from my spouse's time). My dad might be able to help with late afternoon appointments after full time help is gone. I'm not sure if anyone else maybe might surface to help, but I think those are the people I can count on for sure. I'm pretty independent; however, my surgeon has already hinted he thinks I will be one of those who has a hard recovery, which worries me. I know my friend who had a double jaw surgery really did have a hard recovery, and it seems like her mom stayed with her from out of town for a few weeks or maybe even a month. It does seem like there is wide variance in how quickly and easily people recover. I just keep racking my brain how this all will work if I do have a hard recovery.

                                The other thing is my surgeon hinted he wanted someone at the hospital the 2 days I was there. Is this normal? Do I really need someone there the whole time? I'm not sure if I will be able to have this, especially since that will subtract against the amount of days I have someone to help after I leave the hospital. I mean I'm sure different family members would pop in if they have the chance, I just don't know if I want to ask people to stay there with me. I will have to bring this up again with my doctor when I see him again.

                                KC

                                --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "death.disko" <death.disko@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Cammie,
                                >
                                > That's a great point. I'm lucky because I know my boyfriend can take off a few days. If I need help additional days my friend is volunteering to help out. I still think I will create some back up caregivers just in case.
                                >
                                > My orthodontist and surgeon made the surgery sound so easy. My orthodontist told me I could go back to work and school in a few days. Although I'm sure that happens, I don't think I'm going to be one of those people. I think I will need a break from everything, even if it's mostly for vanity issues. =)
                                >
                                > Thanks so much for your input!
                                >
                                > --Shannon
                                >

                                > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "ceast36532" <ceast36532@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > One key to all this, I think, is flexibility. Do have one (or better yet, two or three) people you can rely on to do whatever winds up being needed. You may need a round-the-clock team of caregivers, or one part time person. But the main thing is, whoever has to be reliable, and you can't know ahead of time.
                                > >
                                > > Lower jaw alone is the easiest surgery, I think. The more you have done, the more likely it is that you will need more help. Still, you won't know until you're on the recovery path.
                                > >
                                > > Whoever, though, or however many, you need reliable folks. I had lower jaw only, and I think my husband was really frustrated because I didn't need much help. He didn't realize how important it was that I had him nearby -- not to make soup, but to know that he was available it I had worse trouble! And he didn't go waltzing off to spend an afternoon with the guys when I was trying to get better!
                                > >
                                > > Cammie
                                > >
                                > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "death.disko" <death.disko@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks so much everyone! =)
                                > > >
                                > > > I'm very relieved knowing that I will likely only need someone 24/7 for a few days. My bf can easily get a few days off and I can have a few friends on call just in case I need someone for longer.
                                > > >
                                > > > --Shannon

                              • carolynnsparker
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 7, 2011
                                  --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "keppers79" <kep-at-home@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Shannon,
                                  >
                                  > I'm with you a little. I've been worrying about this, because my spouse's work is rather unflexible. He might be able to help me for a week, maybe a few days more, if it is a certain week. My mom might be able to help for a week or two if it is certain time (but of course different from my spouse's time). My dad might be able to help with late afternoon appointments after full time help is gone. I'm not sure if anyone else maybe might surface to help, but I think those are the people I can count on for sure. I'm pretty independent; however, my surgeon has already hinted he thinks I will be one of those who has a hard recovery, which worries me. I know my friend who had a double jaw surgery really did have a hard recovery, and it seems like her mom stayed with her from out of town for a few weeks or maybe even a month. It does seem like there is wide variance in how quickly and easily people recover. I just keep racking my brain how this all will work if I do have a hard recovery.
                                  >
                                  > The other thing is my surgeon hinted he wanted someone at the hospital the 2 days I was there. Is this normal? Do I really need someone there the whole time? I'm not sure if I will be able to have this, especially since that will subtract against the amount of days I have someone to help after I leave the hospital. I mean I'm sure different family members would pop in if they have the chance, I just don't know if I want to ask people to stay there with me. I will have to bring this up again with my doctor when I see him again.

                                  Shannon,

                                  I had double jaw surgery a year ago. My boyfriend was with me the two days in the hospital (bless his 6 foot soul he even slept on the couch in my room). I needed him. They really count on family members to provide the extra care like helping you to the bathroom, heating packs, getting water etc. The nurses do the IV's and complicated stuff. My boyfriend stayed with me two more days (I had out-of-state surgery) and then had to get home. I managed without him okay after that. Just my experience. Best wishes for a smooth surgery.

                                  Carolynn
                                • Karen K
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 8, 2011
                                    Hi Shannon,

                                    Don't know if this is a possibility for you but I hired a person to stay with me in the hospital for the 4 days i was there. She helped me with food and water and bathroom as well as any other thing I could not do or get for myself. We call her a nurse but she did not have any real nursing training but her job is to be a helpmate to people recovering in hospitals. My family all work and could not stay overnight at the hospital so that was my best option. It worked really well for me.

                                    On Sep 8, 2011, at 8:04 AM, "carolynnsparker" <carolynnsparker@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "keppers79" <kep-at-home@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi Shannon,
                                    > >
                                    > > I'm with you a little. I've been worrying about this, because my spouse's work is rather unflexible. He might be able to help me for a week, maybe a few days more, if it is a certain week. My mom might be able to help for a week or two if it is certain time (but of course different from my spouse's time). My dad might be able to help with late afternoon appointments after full time help is gone. I'm not sure if anyone else maybe might surface to help, but I think those are the people I can count on for sure. I'm pretty independent; however, my surgeon has already hinted he thinks I will be one of those who has a hard recovery, which worries me. I know my friend who had a double jaw surgery really did have a hard recovery, and it seems like her mom stayed with her from out of town for a few weeks or maybe even a month. It does seem like there is wide variance in how quickly and easily people recover. I just keep racking my brain how this all will work if I do have a hard recovery.
                                    > >
                                    > > The other thing is my surgeon hinted he wanted someone at the hospital the 2 days I was there. Is this normal? Do I really need someone there the whole time? I'm not sure if I will be able to have this, especially since that will subtract against the amount of days I have someone to help after I leave the hospital. I mean I'm sure different family members would pop in if they have the chance, I just don't know if I want to ask people to stay there with me. I will have to bring this up again with my doctor when I see him again.
                                    >
                                    > Shannon,
                                    >
                                    > I had double jaw surgery a year ago. My boyfriend was with me the two days in the hospital (bless his 6 foot soul he even slept on the couch in my room). I needed him. They really count on family members to provide the extra care like helping you to the bathroom, heating packs, getting water etc. The nurses do the IV's and complicated stuff. My boyfriend stayed with me two more days (I had out-of-state surgery) and then had to get home. I managed without him okay after that. Just my experience. Best wishes for a smooth surgery.
                                    >
                                    > Carolynn

                                  • keppers79
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 8, 2011
                                      Wow, the hospital bill is ~$30,000, and they expect family members to do most of the work?! Amazing... Anyways, that's good to know. I haven't spend much time around hospitals.

                                      KC

                                      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "carolynnsparker"
                                      > Shannon,
                                      >
                                      > I had double jaw surgery a year ago. My boyfriend was with me the two days in the hospital (bless his 6 foot soul he even slept on the couch in my room). I needed him. They really count on family members to provide the extra care like helping you to the bathroom, heating packs, getting water etc. The nurses do the IV's and complicated stuff. My boyfriend stayed with me two more days (I had out-of-state surgery) and then had to get home. I managed without him okay after that. Just my experience. Best wishes for a smooth surgery.
                                      >
                                      > Carolynn

                                    • ceast36532
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 15, 2011
                                        Hi, Kep,

                                        Sorry to say this, with all its suggestions, but your doc knows the hospital, and I'd follow his/her suggestions.

                                        It can be a hired person (adult), a well-trained and responsible teen, a family member, or anybody else (and I'd not hesitate to ask the doc for help in finding such a person). Hereabouts there are a number of folks looking for work (some for aides, CNRs, sitters or other designations). But you want to be sure this person is trained to and will insist on help if you need it. Perhaps your doc has a list of such people, or knows an agency that can help. This is not a place in which to cut costs, and you may be able to get help from your insurance company, a social agency, a nursing school or others. If you're facing not having someone, lay it out flat for your doc and ask for help!

                                        Cammie

                                        I'm so fortunate -- I didn't need it, didn't need to ask. But I had only simple surgery, and my doc knew his hospital and provided most excellent care. I have known others, though, who had unbelievably difficult experiences in hospitals while they were in no position to help themselves. You do NOT want that under any circumstance.

> [...]
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Lower jaw alone is the easiest surgery, I think. The more you have done, the more likely it is that you will need more help. Still, you won't know until you're on the recovery path.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Whoever, though, or however many, you need reliable folks. I had lower jaw only, and I think my husband was really frustrated because I didn't need much help. He didn't realize how important it was that I had him nearby -- not to make soup, but to know that he was available it I had worse trouble! And he didn't go waltzing off to spend an afternoon with the guys when I was trying to get better!

                                      • keppers79
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 19, 2011
                                          Thanks for your opinion, Cammie. You make some good points. The other thing that I guess I wasn't considering is not only does the doc know my hospital...but he knows me. And despite considering myself robust, healthy, and independent, he seems to think me a delicate flower who will wilt at the slightest blow...ha, ha... At any rate, maybe he's thinking for me personally, I definitely need someone there. I do remember when I had to stay in the ER once, I really appreciated my spouse there with me into the wee hours of the night when I was released. On the other hand, when I had a small surgery once, I just had someone drop me off and pick me up when I was done. I just haven't spent much time in hospitals other than that, so it's good to hear people's point of view. As to the extent of the surgery, I think the doctor won't decide on that until right before the surgery. It will definitely be upper, but possibly lower as well if it cannot be avoided in the end (I have a strong feeling it will be unavoidable). I think it will be a huge change, either way, though, because my bite is WAY off.

                                          KC

> [...]
                                          > >
                                          > > KC
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "death.disko" <death.disko@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Hi Cammie,
                                          > > >
                                          > > > That's a great point. I'm lucky because I know my boyfriend can take off a few days. If I need help additional days my friend is volunteering to help out. I still think I will create some back up caregivers just in case.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > My orthodontist and surgeon made the surgery sound so easy. My orthodontist told me I could go back to work and school in a few days. Although I'm sure that happens, I don't think I'm going to be one of those people. I think I will need a break from everything, even if it's mostly for vanity issues. =)

                                        • ceast36532
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 19, 2011
                                            I don't doubt that you're full of spunk and vinegar, Kep. But this surgery may well leave you limp, especially if you have somoe of the not-so-pleasant after-effects that can arise. Usually, most of them are not serious, but they can be exhausting -- and most everybody is TIRED, and really wants to sleep, sleep, sleep.

                                            You may be different, but I had very little surgical work done, and I sure didn't want to take anybody on, about anything. Just let me alone and let me sleep!

                                            I really don't wanna play "let's compare operations," here -- but I'd previously had two carpal tunnel ops, a removal of a small growth in an indelicate spot and a colonoscopy -- all of which required some anesthesia administered through the veins. Some of them left me with some residual weariness, but nothing like the general anesthesia for the jaw surgery. It's just a big procedure, I think... And I was glad to have the time to get my usual oompf back -- especially since everything was also complicated by the diet protocols.

                                            Best,

                                            C.

                                            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "keppers79" <kep-at-home@...> wrote:

                                            > Thanks for your opinion, Cammie. You make some good points. The other thing that I guess I wasn't considering is not only does the doc know my hospital...but he knows me. And despite considering myself robust, healthy, and independent, he seems to think me a delicate flower who will wilt at the slightest blow...ha, ha... At any rate, maybe he's thinking for me personally, I definitely need someone there. I do remember when I had to stay in the ER once, I really appreciated my spouse there with me into the wee hours of the night when I was released. On the other hand, when I had a small surgery once, I just had someone drop me off and pick me up when I was done. I just haven't spent much time in hospitals other than that, so it's good to hear people's point of view. As to the extent of the surgery, I think the doctor won't decide on that until right before the surgery. It will definitely be upper, but possibly lower as well if it cannot be avoided in the end (I have a strong feeling it will be unavoidable). I think it will be a huge change, either way, though, because my bite is WAY off.
                                            >
                                            > KC
                                          • leena.maasarani
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 28, 2011
                                              I agree with what has been posted here. I think everyone is different, but you are going to need some help.

                                              The best advise I can give is don't let them rush you out of the hospital too quickly. My first jaw surgery, I was in the hospital really just overnight one day and left the next day. I was a hot mess at home.

                                              So what happens is this: you wake up from surgery in the hospital a bit disorented, but after that, you are happy to be okay and in one piece. If you are anything like me, I had some anxiety and couldn't sleep before surgery and was on edge, so finally getting it done, yes I was in physical pain but emotionally I was happy to have it over. Plus, in my case, they pumped me full of steriods during the surgery to recover faster/easier.

                                              You stay overnight in the hospital and the next morning, you are feeling better and happy that you are alive and survived the procedure. So sometimes the hospitals try to get you out the door before you come down from that.

                                              Then, day 2.5 or day 3 is when it hits you that you are messed up beyond belief, you can't talk, you can't eat, you are on drugs and your face is beyond recognition. You have had serious trama and serious stuff done to you. You barely have the strength to make it to the restroom or to go up and down stairs to get an ensure to drink from the fridge. This is precisely when the doctor should be checking in on you and making sure you are okay -- which they can't do if you are at home.

                                              So the best advise I can give you is to try to resist the feeling that you want to get out of the hospital because it is uncomfortable -- wait until you are sure you are okay.

                                              The second time I had surgery, I ended up in the hospital for 5 days with anemia -- if I had gone home, my anemia may have gone un-noticed.

                                              I don't want to freak you out, rather, just want to offer some advise to be sure to take care of yourself and listen to your body. :)

                                              --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "ceast36532" <ceast36532@...> wrote:

                                              > I don't doubt that you're full of spunk and vinegar, Kep. But this surgery may well leave you limp, especially if you have somoe of the not-so-pleasant after-effects that can arise. Usually, most of them are not serious, but they can be exhausting -- and most everybody is TIRED, and really wants to sleep, sleep, sleep.
                                              >
                                              > You may be different, but I had very little surgical work done, and I sure didn't want to take anybody on, about anything. Just let me alone and let me sleep!
                                              >
                                              > I really don't wanna play "let's compare operations," here -- but I'd previously had two carpal tunnel ops, a removal of a small growth in an indelicate spot and a colonoscopy -- all of which required some anesthesia administered through the veins. Some of them left me with some residual weariness, but nothing like the general anesthesia for the jaw surgery. It's just a big procedure, I think... And I was glad to have the time to get my usual oompf back -- especially since everything was also complicated by the diet protocols.
                                              >
                                              > Best,
                                              >
                                              > C.
                                              >

                                              > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "keppers79" <kep-at-home@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Thanks for your opinion, Cammie. You make some good points. The other thing that I guess I wasn't considering is not only does the doc know my hospital...but he knows me. And despite considering myself robust, healthy, and independent, he seems to think me a delicate flower who will wilt at the slightest blow...ha, ha... At any rate, maybe he's thinking for me personally, I definitely need someone there. I do remember when I had to stay in the ER once, I really appreciated my spouse there with me into the wee hours of the night when I was released. On the other hand, when I had a small surgery once, I just had someone drop me off and pick me up when I was done. I just haven't spent much time in hospitals other than that, so it's good to hear people's point of view. As to the extent of the surgery, I think the doctor won't decide on that until right before the surgery. It will definitely be upper, but possibly lower as well if it cannot be avoided in the end (I have a strong feeling it will be unavoidable). I think it will be a huge change, either way, though, because my bite is WAY off.
                                              > >
                                              > > KC

                                            • keppers79
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 29, 2011
                                                Thanks Leena. It is always helpful to have more of a picture of what it will be like.

                                                KC

                                                --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "leena.maasarani" <leena.maasarani@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Thanks for your opinion, Cammie. You make some good points. The other thing that I guess I wasn't considering is not only does the doc know my hospital...but he knows me. And despite considering myself robust, healthy, and independent, he seems to think me a delicate flower who will wilt at the slightest blow...ha, ha... At any rate, maybe he's thinking for me personally, I definitely need someone there. I do remember when I had to stay in the ER once, I really appreciated my spouse there with me into the wee hours of the night when I was released. On the other hand, when I had a small surgery once, I just had someone drop me off and pick me up when I was done. I just haven't spent much time in hospitals other than that, so it's good to hear people's point of view. As to the extent of the surgery, I think the doctor won't decide on that until right before the surgery. It will definitely be upper, but possibly lower as well if it cannot be avoided in the end (I have a strong feeling it will be unavoidable). I think it will be a huge change, either way, though, because my bite is WAY off.

                                              • keppers79
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 13, 2011
                                                  I can imagine you're right Cammie!

                                                  Well, I did finally get to bring it up with surgeon, and I guess I misunderstood. He said as long as I have visitors for moral support in the hospital I should be okay without full time extra care (it is an especially nice hospital he does the surgery at I've heard). He just assumed family would be there because they usually are. Whew, that makes me feel better. My mom's going to see if she can get off extra to help me in the hospital, so I'll count that a nice surprise if she can. Due to the timing we're considering, she should have 2 week Christmas break to help me at home. Is that enough? He just wants to make sure he has a full week before he goes on vacation in case I need him and that pushes the hospital days out of my mom's vacation. The doctor at least seemed okay with the plan. I feel a little better. I mainly just feel better we're talking dates and actual surgery plans. I sure hope I'm finally getting closer to getting this over with.

                                                  KC

                                                  --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "ceast36532" <ceast36532@...> wrote:

                                                  > I don't doubt that you're full of spunk and vinegar, Kep. But this surgery may well leave you limp, especially if you have somoe of the not-so-pleasant after-effects that can arise. Usually, most of them are not serious, but they can be exhausting -- and most everybody is TIRED, and really wants to sleep, sleep, sleep.
                                                  >
                                                  > You may be different, but I had very little surgical work done, and I sure didn't want to take anybody on, about anything. Just let me alone and let me sleep!
                                                  >
                                                  > I really don't wanna play "let's compare operations," here -- but I'd previously had two carpal tunnel ops, a removal of a small growth in an indelicate spot and a colonoscopy -- all of which required some anesthesia administered through the veins. Some of them left me with some residual weariness, but nothing like the general anesthesia for the jaw surgery. It's just a big procedure, I think... And I was glad to have the time to get my usual oompf back -- especially since everything was also complicated by the diet protocols.
                                                  >
                                                  > Best,
                                                  >
                                                  > C.
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "keppers79" <kep-at-home@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thanks for your opinion, Cammie. You make some good points. The other thing that I guess I wasn't considering is not only does the doc know my hospital...but he knows me. And despite considering myself robust, healthy, and independent, he seems to think me a delicate flower who will wilt at the slightest blow...ha, ha... At any rate, maybe he's thinking for me personally, I definitely need someone there. I do remember when I had to stay in the ER once, I really appreciated my spouse there with me into the wee hours of the night when I was released. On the other hand, when I had a small surgery once, I just had someone drop me off and pick me up when I was done. I just haven't spent much time in hospitals other than that, so it's good to hear people's point of view. As to the extent of the surgery, I think the doctor won't decide on that until right before the surgery. It will definitely be upper, but possibly lower as well if it cannot be avoided in the end (I have a strong feeling it will be unavoidable). I think it will be a huge change, either way, though, because my bite is WAY off.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > KC

                                                • Karen K
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Oct 14, 2011
                                                    Hi. 2weeks help should be quite adequate!

                                                    On Oct 14, 2011, at 10:03 AM, "keppers79" <kep-at-home@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Thanks for your opinion, Cammie. You make some good points. The other thing that I guess I wasn't considering is not only does the doc know my hospital...but he knows me. And despite considering myself robust, healthy, and independent, he seems to think me a delicate flower who will wilt at the slightest blow...ha, ha... At any rate, maybe he's thinking for me personally, I definitely need someone there. I do remember when I had to stay in the ER once, I really appreciated my spouse there with me into the wee hours of the night when I was released. On the other hand, when I had a small surgery once, I just had someone drop me off and pick me up when I was done. I just haven't spent much time in hospitals other than that, so it's good to hear people's point of view. As to the extent of the surgery, I think the doctor won't decide on that until right before the surgery. It will definitely be upper, but possibly lower as well if it cannot be avoided in the end (I have a strong feeling it will be unavoidable). I think it will be a huge change, either way, though, because my bite is WAY off.

                                                  • ceast36532
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Oct 14, 2011
                                                      I think so, too, unless something very unusual and very unpleasant happens, in which case you will have good and loving people around you in time to figure it out.

                                                      I have known people who hit some big snags, with bad reactions to painkillers or other drugs, and some who had unpleasant reactions develop (be sure you take in enough liquids and nutrition, post op, for instance. Dehydration isn't nice, and can send you back to the hospital.)

                                                      Emphasis here: DO NOT let that become a self-fulilling prophecy. If you do what your doc tells you and have good nursing care while in the hospital, probably you will do just fine, and wonder what and why you've been worrying so much ahead of time. Mine was an easy procedure, and healed well and quickly. I was in excellent physical shape going in, did as asked, had excellent care -- thank you, all. You just probably shouldn't be alone at home until you KNOW how you are going to progress.

                                                      Cammie