Re: Just started my journey...

  • momtoboys47
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
      I get them sometimes. I swear by a product called Canker-X that you can get at any drugstore. I put some of that on the sore and then put lots of wax on my braces near the sore. The pain will usually go away in 12 hours or so and the sore will be gone in two days. I forgot to take my Canker-X on vacation and got a sore in my mouth. We were on an island and the one grocery store didn't have anything for canker sores. I finally went off-island after about three days of being miserable. Now I don't leave home without Canker-X and plenty of wax!

      I cannot stress enough that you need to put wax on as soon as you start to get any type of irritation. Don't suffer needlessly.

      One more thing - I always say wax because that is what I prefer. My ortho has found that most of her patients prefer silicone. Play with both and find out which one works best for you.

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, scouse_366 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Guys and gals
      >
      > I know it's disgusting and for this I apologise. I've added a pic of the inside of my mouth, I now have an ulcer caused by my brace that is the size of a pea (this having occurred oin the last 24 hours!). Is this something you guys suffered from (and is therefore 'normal') or should I consider calling my ortho?
      >
      > Thanks

    • keppers79
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hi Scouse,

        I have had canker sores, too. It's hard when you already have a mouthful because of bite problems (I haven't been able to comfortably close my mouth for as long as I can remember), and then on top of it you have all this hardware in your mouth. I used the wax a lot when I was an oboist, and later a music major in college, the first time I had braces. However, this time, I haven't used it as much. Of course, if you have a really, really bad one, wax might be necessary to let it heal. I also rinse once a day with salt water, and once a day with hydrogen peroxide (diluted down to 1% or less). Of course, it might help with the sores. Also, I think it helps keep the mouth cleaner. Actually, it was my hygienist who recommended the hydrogen peroxide to help with tooth soreness from the braces. It seems like the sores have gotten less frequent with time, though.

        Although, I haven't been able to use it much right now since I've been wearing a splint a lot (and don't want the tonic to get on the splint), I have found this product to be helpful with sores:

        http://www.amazon.com/Herbs-Etc-Mouth-Tonic-trade/dp/B0014CGY9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309540767&sr=8-1

        It tastes awful but it has a lot of good things in it, and you can swallow it after you rinse if I remember correctly.

        KC

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Heidi Fink <finkheidi@...> wrote:

        > Scouse,
        >
        > I had canker sores nearly the entire time I had braces....I actually even have
        > two right now. It is nothing to be alarmed about. Rinse your mouth out with warm
        > salt water a few times a day to help it heal faster. I would also suggest
        > wearing wax on your braces until the ulcer heals...the irritation of the braces
        > rubbing against it will prevent it from healing, (and as you know, it hurts like
        > h*ll!) I also sometimes rinse with a water/peroxide mixture to help my ulcers to
        > heal faster. I take ibuprofen for the pain when it's really bad, (especially in
        > the morning), and mouth ulcers can also cause swollen glands in your neck, and
        > ibuprofen is helpful for that discomfort as well.
        >
        > I feel so bad for you and wish that I had a magical cure to offer you, but
        > unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do other than the above to speed the
        > healing process. Some people are more prone to them than others. If I bite
        > myself or bump my mouth (at all!) I develop canker sores...I hate it. Stress can
        > also bring them on for me. If it's really painful, there are over the counter
        > numbing medications that you can use as well. I can really empathize with you
        > regarding your situation, and I hope that you're healed up soon!
        >

        > Take care and enjoy the Holiday weekend!
        > Heidi F. :)
        >

        > ________________________________

      • ceast36532
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
          Just wondering -- how is it going now? Things should be at least a bit better by now. I'd think if you're still having really bad troubles, it's time to call the ortho and ask. But I'll bet it's easing up at least a bit, especially if you're using wax and taking aspirin or Tylenol or whatever otc pain stuff you prefer!

          Best wishes,

          Cammie

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, scouse_366 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Well ladies and gents on Wednesday I got my braces on and I am finally on the orthognathic journey.
          >
          > Could I ask that some of you cast your mind back to when you got your braces. How long did it hurt to eat? How long before the braces stopped scrubbing the skin from your cheek/lips?
          >
          > Any hints or tips to make living with them easier?

        • ceast36532
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
            Hope all you Canadian folks up there are enjoying your Canada Day!

            Cammie

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
              some folks have found that it helped if they rinsed out their mouths with Pepto Bismol, or milk of magnesia (yukk. I dunno how they did the taste of that one) or other antacids.) These were mainly people who were wired shut and found the brackets and wires irritating the interiors of their mouths. It might be worth a try.

              Mercifully, I was spared that problem all around -- I have seen the products that numb the mouth's interior -- I think hereabouts they were made by Ora-jel.

              Good luck! I'm also wondering whether your doc or your ortho could prescribe an anti-viral pill for them. It's my understanding that canker sores are a product of one form of the herpes virus. I don't know on that one, but it might be worth asking.

              Cammie

              --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, scouse_366 <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Guys and gals
              >
              > I know it's disgusting and for this I apologise. I've added a pic of the inside of my mouth, I now have an ulcer caused by my brace that is the size of a pea (this having occurred oin the last 24 hours!). Is this something you guys suffered from (and is therefore 'normal') or should I consider calling my ortho?
              >
              > Thanks

            • Brit
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
                ceast36532 <ceast36532@...> wrote:

                >Just wondering -- how is it going now? Things should be at least a bit better by now. I'd think if you're still having really bad troubles, it's time to call the ortho and ask. But I'll bet it's easing up at least a bit, especially if you're using wax and taking aspirin or Tylenol or whatever otc pain stuff you prefer!
                >
                >Best wishes,
                >
                >Cammie
                >
                >--- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, scouse_366 <no_reply@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Well ladies and gents on Wednesday I got my braces on and I am finally on the orthognathic journey.
                >>
                >> Could I ask that some of you cast your mind back to when you got your braces. How long did it hurt to eat? How long before the braces stopped scrubbing the skin from your cheek/lips?
                >>
                >> Any hints or tips to make living with them easier?

              • scouse_366
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
                  Cammie,

                  Thanks for asking.

                  I put wax on last night and put a gel on my cheek which numbs it, reduces the swelling and prevents infection. That has helped. It hasn't gone but it has been nice to spend a day without it getting worse. :-)