Re: Help please!!

  • dlpbach
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi Lisa,

      In the literature I had before the operation it had said about the chances of infection, but I don't think it happens very often, I think I've just been unlucky...I think it's probably the area around the plate that is infected as opposed to the actual plate but not really sure.

      Debbie

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa M. Martinez" <lisamartinez60617@...> wrote:

      > Wow. I have never heard of that at all. How can a steel plate get infected???????
      >
      > My daughter just had her surgery 9 weeks ago today both upper and lower jaw surgery, class III bite she was. She is doing well thank God but now you have me thinking, Is this something that could happen? I am going to call the Surgeon to get his input on this. Just curious. I will let you know what he says.
      >
      > Lisa
      >
      > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "dlpbach" <dlpbach@> wrote:
      > >
      > > So, I had my surgery 11 months ago, and braces off 6 months ago, I've finally got round to uploading some new photos of myself!(Debbie's underbite)and am really really pleased with the results. However I saw my orthodontist yesterday and have been told that one of the plates is infected. I now have to have surgery to remove this plate and replace it. Has anyone else had this experience? What is the surgery like, I know it's not going to be as bad as the last time, however I have no idea on how long the hospital stay will be, or the length of time I can expect to need off work etc.
      > >
      > > If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it!!
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Deb

    • dlpbach
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
        Hi Christine,

        There is a small area inside my mouth (about 5-10mm) which has not healed properly, and lately has been oozing (gross!). I had an x-ray and they could apparently tell from that that the plate was infected.

        Debbie

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Christine Fernandez <jayde1498@...> wrote:

        > hi Debbie how were you able to tell that one of the plates got infected?
        >
        > On Sep 28, 2010, at 5:05 AM, "dlpbach" <dlpbach@...> wrote:
        >
        > > So, I had my surgery 11 months ago, and braces off 6 months ago, I've finally got round to uploading some new photos of myself!(Debbie's underbite)and am really really pleased with the results. However I saw my orthodontist yesterday and have been told that one of the plates is infected. I now have to have surgery to remove this plate and replace it. Has anyone else had this experience? What is the surgery like, I know it's not going to be as bad as the last time, however I have no idea on how long the hospital stay will be, or the length of time I can expect to need off work etc.
        > >
        > > If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it!!
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Deb

      • dlpbach
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010