Re: Bilateral TMJ joint replacement

  • ceast36532
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
      My thought is that those are questions best answered by your experts, especially including Dr. Wolford, who has treated patients on these boards with particularly diffiult jaw problems. I'm a total lay person.

      Any time the joints start going really wonky, that sounds like trouble, and trouble that seems often only to get worse.

      That said, though, repairs for such troubles can be an undertaking that requires a number of years. (It also can go quickly, and that I will hope for you!) Once the joints are destroyed by arthritis and other deterioration, it can be really tough to get good function restored.

      I'd think you'd want a consult with your OB/GYN, and with Dr. Wolford regarding the reproductive issues.

      TV docs say that the biological clock's ticking should not be ignored, if you know you want babies. I have no clue how to balance that all out.

      I have been told that obstetricians think one is no longer young after 32 -- although clearly women have fine, healthy babies much later, in at least some cases.

      If I were the subject of this discussion, I'd welcome the chance to turn it all over to the experts, and let them decide!

      I certainly would want to know what the docs thought would be expectable, both for the jaw and for the babies. How soon you could give birth, for instance, after the jaw surgery -- and how long you'd have to wait to try. The converse as well. (And maybe I'm nuts, as I've never done any of this, but I'd be inclined to have some fertility tests as well, to try to see how all functions are working.)

      I wish you well in any choices you make.

      Cammie

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "kktyler2002" <kktyler2002@...> wrote:

      > Hi. My name is Kelly. I had a consult with Dr. Larry Wolford in Dallas this past week and he recommended I have Bilateral TMJ joint replacements and a 3-piece Lefort I. I have an anterior open bite of approx 3 mm due to condylar resorption. My TMJ discs are completely dislocated and degenerated. I have daily headaches and TMJ pain that is annoying, but nothing that can't be fixed with Advil at this point.
      >
      > I am only 29. Has anyone else had bilateral jaw replacement surgeries this young? I am overwhelmed with trying to decide whether or not to do this now. My husband and I are thinking about starting a family in the next few years but feel like the jaw situation either has to be taken care of now or put off for 5-10 yrs. HELP!!!
      >
      > Kelly

    • Lois Turley
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hello Kelly,

        I have a friend who had the same as you. She was in her mid forties, I
        think, when her joint disease became critical. She could barely swallow
        without choking on food. As far as I know she did not have much breathing
        difficulty, which amazes me. She had difficulty getting her insurance to
        cover it, and lost a lot of weight while she waited because she could hardly
        eat. Finally she had the joint replacement, about 4 or 5 years ago, and has
        done very well since.

        In my case, my airway gradually became blocked due to jaw issues. I was
        about to lose my job/insurance by the time I found out what was causing my
        breathing problems, and my airway became critical. Mine was due to
        undergrowth of my upper jaw, plus crushed mandible with both joints broken
        back in 1965. I was told almost 3 years ago I needed upper and lower jaw
        surgery, and I'm just now with insurance that will enable me to do it. At
        first I was told joint replacement was needed, but had since been told that
        my joints are functional and I am planning maxillary/mandibular advancement
        instead.

        Five to ten years is a long time. If your joint disease has reached the
        point that "discs are completely dislocated and degenerated," you may have
        major issues by then, or sooner. With all the changes in economics and
        health insurance, who knows what will be involved in getting it covered by
        health insurance by that time? Even now, it may take you years to get it
        covered. I encourage you to ask Dr. Wolford about safety issues of putting
        this off.

        I hate to scare you, but these are serious things to think about.

        Lois

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
          Hi Kelly,

          I had a total of three surgeries with Wolford with the last being Total Joint Replacement combined with Coronoid surgery that was done this past October. He performed mitek anchor surgery in 2008 and a Lefort 4-piece combined with lower jaw surgery later in the year of 2008. E-mail me when you get a chance at Georgek04@... and we can talk further and I will be happy to give you my cell number. I actually had my first jaw surgery in 2005 which was a Lefort 3-piece.

          Karen--Caboose

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "kktyler2002" <kktyler2002@...> wrote:

          > Hi. My name is Kelly. I had a consult with Dr. Larry Wolford in Dallas this past week and he recommended I have Bilateral TMJ joint replacements and a 3-piece Lefort I. I have an anterior open bite of approx 3 mm due to condylar resorption. My TMJ discs are completely dislocated and degenerated. I have daily headaches and TMJ pain that is annoying, but nothing that can't be fixed with Advil at this point.
          >
          > I am only 29. Has anyone else had bilateral jaw replacement surgeries this young? I am overwhelmed with trying to decide whether or not to do this now. My husband and I are thinking about starting a family in the next few years but feel like the jaw situation either has to be taken care of now or put off for 5-10 yrs. HELP!!!
          >
          > Kelly

        • margaret wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
            Lois, I'm about to run out of breath :-)  I so hope your test went okay and you are still on for Monday!!!!!

            Margaret

          • Lois Turley
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
              Sorry, I was too sick yesterday to write and tell you that we could stop
              running! LOL