New to the group, a few questions?

  • crybabychick1954
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1 9:13 AM
      Hi all, a brief introduction:
      This is my second time wearing braces because the first time I was too afraid to get the surgery and my orthodontist said in that case, there's nothing else he could do and he took them off. Fast forward a couple years later, I decide that I can't stand my smile and want a "normal" one, so I got the braces back on and have been working with an oral surgeon for over a year now. My oral surgeon is not trhat great when it comes to scheduling. The surgery was supposed to happen in the spring, then the summer, but now it's finally happening on Dec. 14th or 15th (like I said my surgeon is... *rolls eyes*).
      I'm getting upper and lower jaw surgery and just had a few questions. Since I'll be getting it basically 10 days before Christmas, will I feel well enough on Christmas to be able to enjoy gift giving? I don't really want to be out of it on Christmas day. I want to know what I'm doing. Also, the risk of permanently being numb scares me to death. What are your experiences with the numbness? Obviously everything has to be a liquid type diet, but how was it eating right after surgery? To me it seems like even if a syringe was used to eat it would be kinda difficult because of the numbness. Also, if anyone just wants to share experiences in general that would be great too.
      Thanks :)
    • Heidi Fink
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1 1:20 PM
        I am six days post op from upper jaw surgery only. I went to see my OS today because I was sure that something went wrong during the surgery because I think I look so different and bad. However, I still have a lo of numbness (it will go away), and also a lot of swelling and bruising, so it's impossible to see what I really look like. I keep thinking that I should look better by now and he reminded me that six days ago I had all of the muscles and skin dissected off my face from below my eyes to my chin (genio). He said that I'm supposed to look like I got hit with a bat! :)

        Anyhow, Physically, I would be able to attend Christmas with family/friends right now, but I'm so uncomfortable because of the pain and also because of my appearance. I probably wouldn't have much fun though. I hate to sound like a bummer and this is only my experience. Everyday is getting better though and maybe by day 10 I will feel differently. I just had kind of a rough day. Going through this type of surgery can be difficult both emotionally and physicallly, but everyone gets through it. The OS told me today that it's common the first week for most people to wish that they had never done it, but by 4 - 6 weeks they are very happy that they did. I just need to be patient and wait to heal. How did everyone else feel about their decision the first week? I hope that my feelings are normal.

        Good luck with you surgery!

        ~ Heidi :)

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2 7:35 AM
          Hello,

          Well I am 7 months post-surgery now. I see my surgeon today for final x-rays and such. It's been an interesting process and my chin is still numb, but I feel like I am making small progress and believe my doctors that I have up to a year to get rid of it.

          Each person is different. They moved my top jaw forward and my bottom jaw over, I was wired shut for 11 days.

          With all that said, would I have enjoyed Christmas at day 10 wired shut, um not much. Looking back at my blog, I was cranky when watching the rest of the family eat food, my lips hurt so bad and were chapped and I wasn't getting much sleep.

          I don't think you will be out of it on Christmas day, but depending on if you are wired shut still you may be near done by that point.

          I pretty much didn't eat much the first 5 days, I got down as much as I could (which wasn't much), but what I got down was mostly ensure and did make me feel better. It's important to eat even when you don't feel like it.

          It's very much a mental game. I couldn't be alone, I had to have family and friends around me to keep my spirits up. Some people have a hard time doing that because of how they look, from what I have read.

          I have not decided whether or not I am happy that I did it. I hated my bite before but it never really affected me mentally, it was more that I was doing damage in chipping my bottom teeth.

          Good Luck deciding. I suppose I'd rather have it done in the winter than the summer when I have to be snuggled up inside.

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, crybabychick1954 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, a brief introduction:
          > This is my second time wearing braces because the first time I was too afraid to get the surgery and my orthodontist said in that case, there's nothing else he could do and he took them off. Fast forward a couple years later, I decide that I can't stand my smile and want a "normal" one, so I got the braces back on and have been working with an oral surgeon for over a year now. My oral surgeon is not trhat great when it comes to scheduling. The surgery was supposed to happen in the spring, then the summer, but now it's finally happening on Dec. 14th or 15th (like I said my surgeon is... *rolls eyes*).
          > I'm getting upper and lower jaw surgery and just had a few questions. Since I'll be getting it basically 10 days before Christmas, will I feel well enough on Christmas to be able to enjoy gift giving? I don't really want to be out of it on Christmas day. I want to know what I'm doing. Also, the risk of permanently being numb scares me to death. What are your experiences with the numbness? Obviously everything has to be a liquid type diet, but how was it eating right after surgery? To me it seems like even if a syringe was used to eat it would be kinda difficult because of the numbness. Also, if anyone just wants to share experiences in general that would be great too.
          > Thanks :)

        • Alessandra vecchia
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2 10:43 AM
            to heidi-
            hello-
            I saw that you are seven month post recovery. I 7 months post recovery. i had a similar surgery and for the same reasons you did it. I just move my upper because I was to scare to also do the lower. my bottom slided and it worked out fine. however, my skin did not totally "recovered" I I still have some loose skin next to my mouth. I noticed that in this last month my skin got thighter. my nose got really wide and I will have another surgery ro fix that in the summer. you said that you are waiting an year to see the final resutlts. are you still seeing chenges? if yes, which ones? how old are you?
            I am not sure I did the right thing, maybe I woudl have been fine anyway..