Re: [Orthognathic Surgery Support ] I have a broken jaw and dont know what to do

  • sammy987116
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2008
      Unfortunately, my dental insurance is the same - but it did cover
      $1,000. Not much, but at least it was something. Most OD's do have
      payment plans, but can still dig into one's budget, especially those
      with a single income. Hope that it works out for you.

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, carol tankersley
      <venus91911@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      > thanks for all of your support. Its nice to know ppl understand
      what im going thru. Well doc says the surgery will be covered by the
      insurance. The hard part is the dental work on my teeth and
      braces...I have insurance but the dental pay just for basic stuff.
      > One of you asked me if my jaw was broke twice, no it wasnt. They
      found it had been broken and that probably happened long time ago.
      Its got scar tissue, what surgeon said was a benign mass.
      > Thanks everyone

      of people on here that have had surgery and it has really helped me.

      > A little about myself. Well, Im older than a lot of you and have
      had a problem with my jaw for id say 20 years. Im 40 this year.

      > My face has been crocked, VERY crocked and goes to the left. Ive
      heard it all from people including doctors. Some ppl will make jokes,
      you want me to hit you on the other side to even it out??? Stupid
      stuff like that or did you have a stroke, whats wrong with your face,
      blah blah blah.

      > Ive gone to doctor after doctor and they all said the same thing
      when I asked if they could do anything. No, its not covered or i will
      look into it. Well low and behold about 1 yr ago I finally found a
      doc that would listen and sent me to a maxilofacial surgeon. He took
      an x ray on some weird out of this world equipment and said OH YOUR
      JAW IS BROKE and you have a benign tumor. He sent me to get an MRI??
      I THINK thats what it was called then he said the next step was to go
      to the dentist and get my teeth fixed and get braces. He also told me
      I need 3 surgeries, 2 on the broken side and one on the other. Well,
      here I am STUCK. They say its gonna cost me 8 grand to get my teeth
      fixed and braces. I cant afford it. So IM LOST. Part of me is scared
      &#^#$(# less and about 3 surgeries yet I cant afford to get this work
      done.
      > Any one out there have any suggestions to cover this. IM a single
      mom, I work full time but I cant afford that. I want my face fixed
      but dont know what to do. Any suggestion Id greatly appreciate.
      > Thanks

    • ceast36532
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2008
        One place to look is in dental schools. Not everyone can be
        comfortable with the idea of having students work on the mouth, but
        if you can, you may save some money.

        Cammie