Re: ~Day 4/5~

  • annw911
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      Thank you for the responses! I know there is light at the end of the
      tunnel, but it's good to hear that all the uncomfortableness, etc. is
      normal. I appreciate the advice.

      Ann

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Jen"
      <jenlarsen@...> wrote:

      > Hi Ann,
      >
      > I'm just checking in after months and months of not being here ... I
      had my upper, lower,
      > and genioplasty surgery in November 2005. Can't believe it's been
      that long!

      > As for you CONGRATULATIONS, right now you are in the hardest part of
      it ... after the
      > hospital meds wear off, you're back home, and trying to transition
      back into your life, it's
      > tough. Just know it gets better from here.
      >
      > Here are some answers based on my experience:
      >
      > 1) breathe through your mouth, and use aquaphor by eucerin for your
      lips to keep them
      > moist, it worked great. The nasal sprays didn't work for me either.
      >
      > 2) you will be swollen for a while. It took me a good 6 months to
      completely lose the
      > chipmunk look. If you can, after the first week, find a massage
      therapist trained in
      > "lymphatic drainage massage", and just tell them to stay away from
      your jaw itself. They
      > will massage all your lymph nodes, and encourage the lymph that's
      making the swelling to
      > move away from the surgery site. It may make you a little dizzy, so
      just move slowly when
      > getting up off the table and drink lots of fluids.
      >
      > 3) I regained the majority of feeling after about 3-6 months. I
      still have portions of my
      > gums that are numb, and the area of my chin under my lower lip is
      still "weird". It's like I
      > have half sensation, when I run my finger across the skin, i can
      feel it, but it's different
      > than the rest of my face. It's been 2.5 years since my surgery, and
      I've read that it can take
      > up to 7 years for nerves to completely regenerate. Half of my lower
      lip was numb for about
      > a year, and I've regained a little sensation in my gums in the last
      6 months ... I can tell
      > when i'm flossing, like, ooo, I felt something there that I didn't
      feel yesterday! Cool!

      > 4) I didn't rinse for the first week. Your mouth will feel like
      something died in it. Just deal
      > with it. maybe go get some liquid chlorophyll from your health food
      store and put in a
      > glass of water to drink to help you feel "fresh". Do whatever your
      OS says. They are the
      > experts.
      >
      > As for eating, I was on a totally liquid diet for 11 weeks. no soft
      foods until then. I went
      > on a weight gaining binge before surgery (I'm a fitness instructor,
      so I knew I'd lose too
      > much after if I didn't gain some before), gained 10 pounds, then
      lost 15 after surgery. The
      > first few weeks were hard, because I didn't really want to eat
      anything. But then I
      > remembered the almighty milkshake! I went and got some ice cream,
      some milk (and also
      > some rice milk, because I don't eat that much dairy usually), and
      protein powder for
      > nourishment. I started having a milkshake every day, and it made me
      feel better physically
      > AND mentally!
      >
      > You could always make a potato soup by blending mashed potatoes with
      broth and some
      > other steamed veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots. I got
      REALLY GOOD at making
      > creative things in the blender after having to do so for TWO MONTHS!
      >
      > The time flies, truly it does. Just you wait and see :)
      >
      > Jen
      >
      > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "annw911"
      <annw911@> wrote:

      > > Hello everyone,
      > >
      > > I had surgery this past Wednesday, June 25, so it's now Day 5. It is
      > > tougher than I anticipated...
      > >
      > > I had a lefort i surgery and will be banded shut for six weeks. Just
      > > wondering what to expect from here on out:
      > > 1) Am having trouble breathing... I am using the nasal sprays but they
      > > don't seem to work well? Any other advice?
      > > 2) I am still very swollen and unable to shut my mouth entirely.
      > > Should I expect this for the entire 6 weeks? I am slated to go back to
      > > work in a couple of weeks, but may need to rethink those plans if
      > > that's the case...
      > > 3) I know that the numbness doesn't go away for quite some time, but
      > > when should I expect to regain the majority of the feeling?
      > > 4) My OS said not to rinse for another week to avoid tearing the
      > > stitches. How long did it take everyone here to start being able to
      > > rinse their mouth?
      > >
      > > Thanks everyone... also, I knew I would need to drink liquids but
      > > didn't quite realize how hard it would be to get food down. (Lost 4
      > > lbs in the first two days...) When did everyone start being able to
      > > eat semi-liquid food (e.g., mash potatoes) again?
      > >
      > > Sincerely,
      > > Ann

    • angc513
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
        Good luck!! I just had surgery 2 weeks ago and my biggest issues
        were pain and communication!! Let the nurse know asap that you need
        pain meds and make sure you have something to write on at all

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Mansooreh
        <mansooreh97@...> wrote:

        > I'm going to have a surgery on July 03 (Thursday). My pictures are
        under folder "Mansooreh".
        > It's a long long time I like to have such a surgery. My
        orthodontics took a long time (more than 3 years) and now it is
        coming.....
        > Through these years I looked at these group member pictures trying
        to guess how I would be after surgery.