How long it took to eat real food after upper jaw surgery?

  • azgurl82
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hey everyone,

      I am suppose to be having upper jaw surgery done on june 9th, my mom is
      freaking out about this whole surgery so is making me nervous but I am
      also exicted. I was wondering how long did it take to eat real food
      after having upper jaw surgery?

      Thanks,

      Melissa
    • sammy987116
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
        After a couple weeks after surgery, I could eat aything that I did not
        have to chew. I don't think that I was allowed to chew for almost 2.5
        or 3 months.

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "azgurl82"
        <azgurl82@...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone,
        >
        > I am suppose to be having upper jaw surgery done on june 9th, my mom
        is
        > freaking out about this whole surgery so is making me nervous but I
        am
        > also exicted. I was wondering how long did it take to eat real food
        > after having upper jaw surgery?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Melissa

      • taraolmo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
          Everyone's experience is different and I had lower advancement; I
          wasn't eating "real food" until 2-3 months. Good luck...it will be
          over before you know it and the first few days will suck, but it will
          be uphill from there....! Just keep a sense of humor and be
          patient....in no time, you will be back to eating normal and relieved
          that it's all over!!

          Tara

        • Gaynor Black
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
            I had my surgery on April 9th and I still have to swallow liquids. The
            tissue inside my mouth is very sore still. However, I eat the same
            food as others with the exception of anything hard like a raw carrot
            -- I just have to put it in the food processor and I add a little
            water. Its not much fun eating mush but you get used to it.

            Good luck with your surgery --- the first few days are rough but you
            do get better little by little after that.

            Regards, Gaynor