Re: [Orthognathic Surgery Support ] Basic reason to have orthognathic surgery

  • Wendy Benkotic
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2008
      If you go to the photo albums and click on LIST (instead of thumbnails) i am the 7th down - Wendy's BEFORE upper/lower surgery pics.

      I didnt have an open bite. i just had a really gummy smile and couldnt close my lips without strraining.

      It has been 12 weeks now, and i will put a newer pic on here soon.

      I get my braces off in exactly 4 weeks!!!

      Cant wait until the whole ordeal is over so i dont have to think about it anymore.

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi, Nick,

        Would you mind telling me what palette expansion involves, and how old you are?

        Thanks!

        Margaret

        Nick Safis <nsafis@...> wrote: hey wendy, just wondering did you have an open bite? cause i'm having the same thing done in may/june, i had upper palette expansion back in september, also, where are your pics, couldn't find them on here, if you could let me know, that would be great

        Wendy Benkotic <wbenkotic@...> wrote: hello.

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 2, 2008
              I also had my upper jaw expanded but I was not as fortunate to only
              have my jaw broken in 1 place. Mine was broken in 4 places and then
              put back together with plates and screws. Guess that is what happens
              when you have the surgery when you are older. :(

              --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, margaret wilson
              <kjpmemw@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the useful info, Nick. I hadn't considered that
              expanding the palette means that your lips have to go along for the
              ride. Ouch. Margaret

              > Nick Safis <nsafis@...> wrote: Hi
              Margaret, I just turned 24 a couple weeks ago. I've had a severe
              open bite pretty much since adolescence, there are two surgeries that
              I had to have, the first being upper palette expansion because I had
              a very narrow upper jaw. They cut down the middle of your jaw and
              widen it. I also had to wear a medal expander for about 4 months
              after the surgery to hold it in place. A couple weeks after the
              surgery I had a "key" that I had to put into the expander to widen it
              little by little. I was pretty swollen for a couple weeks but it
              started to go down eventually. I also had numbness in my upper lip
              which took about 2-3 months to fully get feeling back. I'm pretty
              much back to normal, there was some strain on my upper lip, that took
              the longest to go away. It is almost pretty much gone but I can
              still feel it a little bit. I have to have one more surgery to
              actually bring my upper and lower jaws
              > together, I have confidence in my OS but I'm still nervous about
              it.

              > margaret wilson <kjpmemw@...> wrote: Hi, Nick,
              >
              > Would you mind telling me what palette expansion involves, and how
              old you are?

              > Thanks!
              >
              > Margaret
              >
              > Nick Safis <nsafis@...> wrote: hey wendy, just wondering did you
              have an open bite? cause i'm having the same thing done in may/june,
              i had upper palette expansion back in september, also, where are your
              pics, couldn't find them on here, if you could let me know, that
              would be great

              > Wendy Benkotic <wbenkotic@...> wrote: hello.
              >
              > i HAD the same problem as you. had upper and lower surgery three
              months ago. check out my pics under Wendy's BEFORE surgery pics.
              THese include pics of bfore and after.

              > best thing i have ever done. the recovery process was hard but it
              was well worth the results.

              > i did it for cosmetic reasons only and i look 200% better.
              >
              > Wendy.

            • nealrodge
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 3, 2008
                For me it wasn't that drastic. I haven't had mine yet but it will be
                soon. I had jaw locking issues. The doc went in and tried to do
                orthoscopic repair of the cartilage disc but ended up opening the skin
                to expose my joint and fix the disc. The disc had been pushed up like a
                a blanket and had formed wrinkles. Afterwards my rear teeth didn't
                touch at all. After the swelling went down a few months later and I
                was already in braces my teeth touch but don't align at all. The ortho
                is basically engineering my teeth to align after my surgery. So right
                now he is increasing my overbite. I'll have a BSSO to correct the
                bite.

              • margaret wilson
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Hi, Sammy,

                  So, you also had the palette expander? Might i ask how old you are? Somehow I had gotten the idea the the palette expander was only for teens or very young adults with flexible bone. Do you think you had four incisions instead of one because it meant that less bone needed to fill in each space?

                  Margaret

                  sammy987116 <sammy987116@...> wrote: I also had my upper jaw expanded but I was not as fortunate to only

                  <kjpmemw@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the useful info, Nick. I hadn't considered that
                  expanding the palette means that your lips have to go along for the
                  ride. Ouch. Margaret

                  > Nick Safis <nsafis@...> wrote: Hi
                  Margaret, I just turned 24 a couple weeks ago. I've had a severe
                  open bite pretty much since adolescence, there are two surgeries that
                  I had to have, the first being upper palette expansion because I had
                  a very narrow upper jaw. They cut down the middle of your jaw and
                  widen it. I also had to wear a medal expander for about 4 months
                  after the surgery to hold it in place. A couple weeks after the
                  surgery I had a "key" that I had to put into the expander to widen it
                  little by little. I was pretty swollen for a couple weeks but it
                  started to go down eventually. I also had numbness in my upper lip
                  which took about 2-3 months to fully get feeling back. I'm pretty
                  much back to normal, there was some strain on my upper lip, that took
                  the longest to go away. It is almost pretty much gone but I can
                  still feel it a little bit. I have to have one more surgery to
                  actually bring my upper and lower jaws
                  > together, I have confidence in my OS but I'm still nervous about
                  it.

                  > margaret wilson <kjpmemw@...> wrote: Hi, Nick,
                  >
                  > Would you mind telling me what palette expansion involves, and how
                  old you are?

                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Margaret
                  >
                  > Nick Safis <nsafis@...> wrote: hey wendy, just wondering did you
                  have an open bite? cause i'm having the same thing done in may/june,
                  i had upper palette expansion back in september, also, where are your
                  pics, couldn't find them on here, if you could let me know, that
                  would be great

                  > Wendy Benkotic <wbenkotic@...> wrote: hello.
                  >
                  > i HAD the same problem as you. had upper and lower surgery three
                  months ago. check out my pics under Wendy's BEFORE surgery pics.
                  THese include pics of bfore and after.

                  > best thing i have ever done. the recovery process was hard but it
                  was well worth the results.

                  > i did it for cosmetic reasons only and i look 200% better.
                  >
                  > Wendy.

                • D Going
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4, 2008
                    Hi Nick

                    I have just been told I will require this upper palette expansion in a few months.
                    I've not heard of this before and wanted to ask:

                    how long are you off work for?
                    are you in hospital overnight or longer?
                    When do you start to look 'normal' again?
                    And what about removal of this applicance? is that a day trip surgery?
                    Is it hard to talk with this stuck to the roof of your mouth?

                    Many thanks
                    Dianne

                    margaret wilson <kjpmemw@yahoo. com> wrote: Hi, Nick,

                    Nick Safis <nsafis@yahoo. com> wrote: hey wendy, just wondering did you have an open bite? cause i'm having the same thing done in may/june, i had upper palette expansion back in september, also, where are your pics, couldn't find them on here, if you could let me know, that would be great

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 4, 2008
                      Yea it's gonna be really annoying the first few days with the expander on because your tongue has to get adjusted to this thing that's now on the roof of your mouth. You will get used to it after a few days, but there will be certain sounds that you will not be able pronounce without sounding kinda silly, but they are few and far between. The removal of the appliance isn't that big of deal, it takes a few minutes. After surgery your gonna have a "key" that you have to slip into a tiny hole in the appliance to gradually expand it, your ortho will show you how to do it.

                      As far as the surgery, I was off for two weeks, I still had kinda the chipmunk cheeks when I went back into work, but people were pretty cool about it. The swelling really started to fully go away after about 3-4 weeks. If your skin starts to peel after the swelling goes down, don't worry, this is normal, it happened to me and it was only for a couple days. You start to really look normal again after this. The numbness in your upper and nasal area takes the longest to go away. The numbness in my upper lip didn't fully go away till about 2-3 months afterwards, and it's a slow process, it's nothing horrible though. I did stay in the hospital overnight and I was out the following afternoon after evalutions and such. The hardest part is the first few days because you look like a monster, but just know that it's only temporary and it's part of a long process. This is a long journey, i'm about three quarters of the way through, but I still have one more surgery to go in
                      June that's supposedly gonna be a tougher recovery than the expansion surgery. If you have any more questions, let me know.

                      Good luck!!

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 8, 2008
                        Did you get insurance to cover your procedure...If not, how much did
                        it cost? I have pretty much the same situation and am seriously
                        starting the consultation process to see where I need to begin...How
                        old are you? Thanks in advance for any info! : )
                        Lori

                        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Wendy Benkotic