Re: 22 weeks post op and complications

  • Wendy
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
      hi there...

      im 8 weeks post op and my ears were in constant pain right after the
      surgery. my left one was blocked completely up until the other day.
      my ears still get a tiny bit of pain every now and then but nowhere
      near as bad as a few weeks ago. my OS told me that the ears are sort
      of like a medium for the pain. like, it's really my jaw or teeth that
      are hurting, but i can feel the pain through my ears.

      have your ears been hurting the whole 22 weeks? or has this been a
      recent occurance?

      have you had your braces taken off?

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "shaynabrad"
      <shaynabrad@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I had 2 piece lefort and BSSO on 9/6/07. Tomorrow marks 22 weeks.
      > Hard to believe. Since I got home from surgery, I have had
      continous
      > ear pain in both ears, and my jaw. My OS thinks it is due to a
      major
      > case of TMJ now. We have tried muscle relaxers, hot compresses,
      > massage, and just over the last two weeks a splint. Things only get
      > worse, and all of the above seem to be just a bandaid for what
      might
      > now be a problem. My OS said the words surgery again last time I
      saw
      > him (I see him again tomorrow), and I just looked at him. Although
      > am very happy with the outcome of the results other than the whole
      > ear
      > and jaw issue, I just dont know if I could do surgery again. But I
      > cant live with this either.
      >
      > Has anyone out there experienced any symptoms with their ears
      postop?

      > Thanks!!!
      >
      > Shayna

    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
        im 8 weeks post op and have about 30% numbness on my chin, the left
        side only. i have gotton all of my feeling back on my lower gums.. my
        upper gums are taking a bit longer, they are still numb.

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, MASTERJML
        <marioland@...> wrote:

        > im about a week, and my lip/chin tingle like there is no tomorrow...
        Has
        > anyone has any sensation come back? What kind of time table? I was
        told up
        > to a year but what about everyone here?

      • davgin25
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2008
          Shayna, I am sorry to hear you are still having such trouble. If you
          see someone who specializes in TMJ problems they would probably do an
          MRI of your TM Joints and that will tell you if you are having disc
          issues. You know the disc is to cushion the area between the upper
          and lower jaw and maybe yours are out of place. Lauren's MRI showed
          that one of her discs was out of place (when she opened fully it then
          was IN place) and the other disc was detached on one end and in a
          little ball. That was why Dr. Wolford went in through a very small
          incision along her tragus right near her ear canal and got the one
          disc back in proper position and then reattached the other disc. He
          then used a Mitek anchor, a device he developed to hold them in
          place. He sews a bit of suture through the disc and then threads it
          through the anchor and then puts the anchor into the bone where it
          holds the disc in place. She had a running stitch down her tragus
          (about 12 tiny stitches) and had no problems with the surgery. It
          was so minor compared to the jaw surgery she also had!

          Best to you in your search for relief!

          Blessings,
          Ginny

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, swillygb
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Shayna,
          >
          > So good to see you back, but so sorry to hear you are having TMJ
          > issues. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I do suffer from ear
          pain
          > due to my TMJ dysfunction. It is not continuous though, it is like
          > sharp pains that shoot through them from time to time, mainly my
          > right ear where I also have a degenerative condyle. I have the
          hope
          > that my surgery may actually help my condition, but there of course
          > are no guarantees.
          >
          > I would seek other opinions before agreeing to another surgery,
          > particularly someone who specializes in TMJ issues. Not all OS's
          > who perform Orthognathic surgery truly understand the TMJ joints.
          >
          > What kind of surgery does your OS want you to have? Have you had
          > any relapse? Or does he want to do some procedure on the joints?
          >
          > I really feel for you Shayna, I hope you find the answers you are
          > seeking.
          >
          > Stephanie
          >

          > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "shaynabrad"
          > <shaynabrad@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Everyone,
          > >
          > > I had 2 piece lefort and BSSO on 9/6/07. Tomorrow marks 22 weeks.
          > > Hard to believe. Since I got home from surgery, I have had
          > continous
          > > ear pain in both ears, and my jaw. My OS thinks it is due to a
          > major
          > > case of TMJ now. We have tried muscle relaxers, hot compresses,
          > > massage, and just over the last two weeks a splint. Things only
          > get
          > > worse, and all of the above seem to be just a bandaid for what
          > might
          > > now be a problem. My OS said the words surgery again last time I
          > saw
          > > him (I see him again tomorrow), and I just looked at him.
          Although
          > > am very happy with the outcome of the results other than the
          whole
          > > ear
          > > and jaw issue, I just dont know if I could do surgery again. But
          > > cant live with this either.
          > >
          > > Has anyone out there experienced any symptoms with their ears
          > postop?
          > >
          > > Thanks!!!
          > >
          > > Shayna

        • Naida Zecevic
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2008
            Hello,

            I just had my first appointment with Dr. Tufaro at the
            Johns Hopkins. He was nice and I felt comfortable
            during the visit. My surgery would probably take place
            sometimes next year. I am wondering if anyone had any
            experience with him and if it was positive?

            Thanks,

            Naida

            Be a better friend, newshound, and