Re: Couple of questions...

  • msfiratigra
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
      I use a straw. Nothing else seems to work. I find one place in between my teeth and it seems
      to work. Sometimes I need to use the waterpik to clear out food blocking...

      I use the heating pads as well. And I still am so swollen. AHh!
    • goatygirly824
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
        hm I don't feel a place between my teeth where I could put a straw :(
        I've been using ice because my doctor said not to use heat. I guess
        I'll ask him that on Thursday.

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "msfiratigra"
        <msfiratigra@...> wrote:

        > I use a straw. Nothing else seems to work. I find one place in
        between my teeth and it seems
        > to work. Sometimes I need to use the waterpik to clear out food
        blocking...

        > I use the heating pads as well. And I still am so swollen. AHh!

      • w6aav
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
          I had to use a syringe at first then I graduated to a sippy cup and
          just let the fluids flow through. I hope this helps a bit.

          Will

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "goatygirly824"
          <goatygirly824@...> wrote:

          > I had lower jaw surgery on December 28th. I had a few questions
          > about swelling and how to eat. They moved my lower jaw back a few
          > centimeters and to the right 1.5 centimeters.
          >
          > I am swelling more on my right cheek than my left. Is this normal?
          > It's painful and I try to keep ice on it. Does the swelling go
          away?
          > I'm taking Ibuprofen, Amoxicylin (sp?) and Hydrocodone.
          >
          > I don't understand how you can drink through a straw. I've just
          been
          > drinking broth by letting it go through my front teeth. It's very
          > hard to because I'm wired and have elastics on my front teeth. I
          > also have a mouth guard thing that goes between my teeth that I can
          > feel on the inside of my teeth. What is that?
          >
          > Also, my jaws have been feeling very tight, like I'm clenching my
          > teeth. How can I relax?
          >
          > I'm supposed to be going back for my first post-op appt. on
          > Thursday.
          >
          > Thanks everyone I just found this site and hope that yall can help.

        • goatygirly824
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
            did you put the syringe at the back of your mouth in the corner? I
            have stitches there and it hurts.

            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "w6aav"
            <w6aav@...> wrote:

            > I had to use a syringe at first then I graduated to a sippy cup
            and
            > just let the fluids flow through. I hope this helps a bit.
            >
            > Will
            >

            > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "goatygirly824"
            > <goatygirly824@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I had lower jaw surgery on December 28th. I had a few questions
            > > about swelling and how to eat. They moved my lower jaw back a
            few
            > > centimeters and to the right 1.5 centimeters.
            > >
            > > I am swelling more on my right cheek than my left. Is this
            normal?
            > > It's painful and I try to keep ice on it. Does the swelling go
            > away?
            > > I'm taking Ibuprofen, Amoxicylin (sp?) and Hydrocodone.
            > >
            > > I don't understand how you can drink through a straw. I've just
            > been
            > > drinking broth by letting it go through my front teeth. It's
            very
            > > hard to because I'm wired and have elastics on my front teeth. I
            > > also have a mouth guard thing that goes between my teeth that I
            can
            > > feel on the inside of my teeth. What is that?
            > >
            > > Also, my jaws have been feeling very tight, like I'm clenching
            my
            > > teeth. How can I relax?
            > >
            > > I'm supposed to be going back for my first post-op appt. on
            > > Thursday.
            > >
            > > Thanks everyone I just found this site and hope that yall can
            help.

          • w6aav
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
              I actually had a flexable tube attached to the syringe and I pushed
              the tube opening against the teeth around the front or just off to
              the right. As I pushed on the syringe, I sucked in but not very
              hard. Keep in mind I strained the soup I used and it was very thin.
              Anything else just plugged upped my teeth and nothing could get in.

              I had so much scar tissue in the back of my mouth that I could not
              get the tube back in there. I too had an issue with the stitches and
              was very careful not to put the tube in the back to get food back in
              there and cause an infection. Keeping that area clean is very hard
              and I was taking no chances.

              I don't think you are going to get an easy answer to your question.
              For four months I was banded or wired shut and had to eat holding the
              tube against my teeth and sucking in that way. It takes a while to
              get a can of soup down and with my chin numb, sometimes the soup
              ended up all down my shirt and I did not know it. You will get past
              this and I hope you have not issues to prolong your recovery.

              Best of luck and Happy New Year!

              <goatygirly824@...> wrote:

              > did you put the syringe at the back of your mouth in the corner? I
              > have stitches there and it hurts.
              >
              > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "w6aav"
              > <w6aav@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I had to use a syringe at first then I graduated to a sippy cup
              > and
              > > just let the fluids flow through. I hope this helps a bit.
              > >
              > > Will
              > >

              > > --- In
              orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "goatygirly824"
              > > <goatygirly824@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I had lower jaw surgery on December 28th. I had a few questions
              > > > about swelling and how to eat. They moved my lower jaw back a
              > few
              > > > centimeters and to the right 1.5 centimeters.
              > > >
              > > > I am swelling more on my right cheek than my left. Is this
              > normal?
              > > > It's painful and I try to keep ice on it. Does the swelling go
              > > away?
              > > > I'm taking Ibuprofen, Amoxicylin (sp?) and Hydrocodone.
              > > >
              > > > I don't understand how you can drink through a straw. I've just
              > > been
              > > > drinking broth by letting it go through my front teeth. It's
              > very
              > > > hard to because I'm wired and have elastics on my front teeth.
              > > > also have a mouth guard thing that goes between my teeth that I
              > can
              > > > feel on the inside of my teeth. What is that?
              > > >
              > > > Also, my jaws have been feeling very tight, like I'm clenching
              > my
              > > > teeth. How can I relax?
              > > >
              > > > I'm supposed to be going back for my first post-op appt. on
              > > > Thursday.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks everyone I just found this site and hope that yall can
              > help.

            • goatygirly824
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                Man I'm sorry. I've just been putting liquids in the front of my
                mouth like you are. I have to rinse my mouth out alot to keep my
                teeth unplugged. Maybe my doctor will do something so that it is
                easier.

              • spedteacher@cox.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Hey Will
                  I called the OS re: my swelling and he said that it's good to just do salt water rinses for right now-he thinks the hydrogen peroxide irritated the stitches and that's all he thought it was.
                  Seeing your post below in re: to your stitches though-I'm kind of wondering if I'm being bad to myself. I used the zip and squeeze and syringes for like the first week and then went to soup and mashed potatoes etc. I have been able to do squash, mashed potatoes, and soups that don't have any real food in them per se. I am cleaning my mouth after every meal, but I'm wondering in hearing you say what you did for several months,am I doing too much? I hate the idea of going back to the bags and doing nothing but liquids. My OS said anything I dont have to "chew" is okay, and I've been sliding the stuff off the back of my splint if that makes sense. I have one more week to go until my splint is off and then I know I can go to "soft foods" which I'm assuming are like eggs and pasta, etc.
                  Please let me know who you handled this part of the recovery in a little more detail if you can. I don't want to mess anything up, because those stitches are in there tight and there are a LOT of them in all the recesses of my mouth, but I feel better eating "food" than I did just with ensure alone.
                  Thanks!
                  Jennifer

                • sminuyama
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Hi! I had upper and lower jaw surgery on the 13th of december.
                    Promise, you'll feel much better, give it a few more days. My OS
                    told me not to use a straw because the suctioning doesn't do any
                    good... the swelling will go away, I'm still a little swollen, but
                    nothing out of ths world... Hope you get better soon. You'll see
                    this surgery is totally worth it!

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                      Thanks! I'm going tomorrow for my first post-op appt. we'll see how
                      it goes.

                      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, sminuyama