Re: Hi all - particularly anyone in the UK who is undergoing NHS teatment.

  • jenlm1973
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi
      I am also in the UK, down south in Devon! I've just finished my
      treatment, well i'm in retainers at night but braces are off, no
      more ops!

      I am more than willing to give anyone support and help if I can. I
      had upper and lower followed by septorhynoplasty all on the NHS.
      I'm no doctor or expert, buy hey I'm an ear to bend lol.

      Keep smiling
      Jen UK xx

      --- In
      orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cheekiestchappie"
      <cheekiestchappie@...> wrote:

      > Just thought I'd say hello to the Group and in particular anyone
      who
      > is in the UK and undergoing treatment on the NHS.
      >
      > I'm about to have my braces fitted and can't wait to get the
      treatment
      > underway.
      >
      > So far, just about every aspect of the NHS has been excellent, bar
      the
      > waiting list, but even that was better than I was anticipating.
      >
      > I just wish I'd started all this years ago (I'm 37).
      >
      > If I may be of any help to anyone with questions about the NHS
      > process, please just ask - I'm no expert, but where possible I'll
      > share my own personal experiences, if that might help.

    • molders32
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hi

        Another Londoner here - Class III malocclusion, an asymetric mandible,
        upper arch crowding and the rest. Didn't jump at the chance to have OG
        treatment in my teens (badly explained, essentially "we want to break
        your face) but now in my late 20s and made up my mind to get treated
        and start smiling! Have been on the waiting list at the Eastman Dental
        Hospital since May 2006 and hoping to get into braces early next year.
        Impressed with the consultants I have seen so far and so, so grateful
        for the NHS!

        <cheekiestchappie@...> wrote:

        > Just thought I'd say hello to the Group and in particular anyone who
        > is in the UK and undergoing treatment on the NHS.
        >
        > I'm about to have my braces fitted and can't wait to get the treatment
        > underway.
        >
        > So far, just about every aspect of the NHS has been excellent, bar the
        > waiting list, but even that was better than I was anticipating.
        >
        > I just wish I'd started all this years ago (I'm 37).
        >
        > If I may be of any help to anyone with questions about the NHS
        > process, please just ask - I'm no expert, but where possible I'll
        > share my own personal experiences, if that might help.

      • emi_lou15
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
          Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have you been waiting?
          Emma
        • Sarah Penketh
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
            HI Emma,

            I had braces put on June 2004 and was told 18-24 months in brace before surgery. At the end of March 2005 I was told I was ready for surgery, as I needed the whole day in theatre I had to wait until May 2005 for my surgery. And it was done on the NHS.

            Sarah

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
              Hi Sarah,
              Could you tell me what problem you were having sorted with your
              braces and the surgery ie a Deep bite etc

              Emma

              --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Penketh
              <s_penketh@...> wrote:

              > HI Emma,
              >
              > I had braces put on June 2004 and was told 18-24 months in brace
              before surgery. At the end of March 2005 I was told I was ready for
              surgery, as I needed the whole day in theatre I had to wait until May
              2005 for my surgery. And it was done on the NHS.

              > Sarah
              >
              > emi_lou15 <ema_elsworth65@...> wrote:
              > Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have you
              been waiting?
              > Emma

            • emi_lou15
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                Hi again,
                I forgot to ask how long was the waiting list for you to have your
                braces on?

                Emma

                -- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "emi_lou15"
                <ema_elsworth65@...> wrote:

                > Hi Sarah,
                > Could you tell me what problem you were having sorted with your
                > braces and the surgery ie a Deep bite etc
                >
                > Emma
                >
                > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Penketh
                > <s_penketh@> wrote:
                > >
                > > HI Emma,
                > >
                > > I had braces put on June 2004 and was told 18-24 months in
                brace
                > before surgery. At the end of March 2005 I was told I was ready for
                > surgery, as I needed the whole day in theatre I had to wait until
                May
                > 2005 for my surgery. And it was done on the NHS.
                > >
                > > Sarah
                > >
                > > emi_lou15 <ema_elsworth65@> wrote:
                > > Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have
                you
                > been waiting?
                > > Emma

              • Sarah Penketh
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Hi Emma,

                  When I first went to see the team I all ready had braces on that were put on by a different ortho, they took the old set off and gave me a month "off" braces before putting the new set in. Where in the UK are you?

                  I was born with a cleft lip and palate and as a result my upper jaw didn't grow fully. I had upper jaw surgery to bring the top jaw forward I also had other stuff done during the surgery.

                  <ema_elsworth65@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Sarah,
                  > Could you tell me what problem you were having sorted with your
                  > braces and the surgery ie a Deep bite etc
                  >
                  > Emma
                  >
                  > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Penketh
                  > <s_penketh@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > HI Emma,
                  > >
                  > > I had braces put on June 2004 and was told 18-24 months in
                  brace
                  > before surgery. At the end of March 2005 I was told I was ready for
                  > surgery, as I needed the whole day in theatre I had to wait until
                  May
                  > 2005 for my surgery. And it was done on the NHS.
                  > >
                  > > Sarah
                  > >
                  > > emi_lou15 <ema_elsworth65@> wrote:
                  > > Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have
                  you
                  > been waiting?
                  > > Emma

                • emi_lou15
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Hi sarah,
                    I live in Dorset,south england.
                    Iv been told i need to have my top jaw moved back, to sort out my
                    gummy smile,also i have a few teeth missing(second teeth didnt
                    appear) at the top which means my other teeth have moved into the
                    spaces.

                    Im currently waiting to hear back from my ortho as to when the
                    treatment will start, as he said there are a few options i could have.

                    Il be 20 soon, and i wish something had been done sooner rather than
                    starting things now! However if it means straight teeth and a less
                    gummy smile,im warming to the idea of braces and surgery!

                    How are things now, are you happy with the result?

                    <s_penketh@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Emma,
                    >
                    > When I first went to see the team I all ready had braces on that
                    were put on by a different ortho, they took the old set off and gave
                    me a month "off" braces before putting the new set in. Where in the
                    UK are you?

                    > I was born with a cleft lip and palate and as a result my upper
                    jaw didn't grow fully. I had upper jaw surgery to bring the top jaw
                    forward I also had other stuff done during the surgery.

                    > Sarah
                    >
                    > emi_lou15 <ema_elsworth65@...> wrote:
                    > Hi again,
                    > I forgot to ask how long was the waiting list for you to have your
                    > braces on?
                    >
                    > Emma
                    >
                    > -- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "emi_lou15"
                    > <ema_elsworth65@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Sarah,
                    > > Could you tell me what problem you were having sorted with your
                    > > braces and the surgery ie a Deep bite etc
                    > >
                    > > Emma
                    > >
                    > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Penketh
                    > > <s_penketh@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > HI Emma,
                    > > >
                    > > > I had braces put on June 2004 and was told 18-24 months in
                    > brace
                    > > before surgery. At the end of March 2005 I was told I was ready
                    for
                    > > surgery, as I needed the whole day in theatre I had to wait until
                    > May
                    > > 2005 for my surgery. And it was done on the NHS.
                    > > >
                    > > > Sarah
                    > > >
                    > > > emi_lou15 <ema_elsworth65@> wrote:
                    > > > Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have
                    > you
                    > > been waiting?
                    > > > Emma

                  • cheekiestchappie
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Hi,

                      I can identify with the "badly explained" comment - although I had to
                      wait until I was about your age to even receive that much..!

                      Thank god I re-investigated it - although that was driven my desperation!

                      I was quoted an 18-month waiting period initially, but they had "an
                      initiative" to clear the list. GP-referral Sept 2006 to braces (if all
                      goes to plan) in Dec 2007.

                      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "molders32"

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Hi Emma,

                        I was referred by my GP Sept 2006. First MaxFac appointment Nov 2006 -
                        met with Orthodontic Consultant March 2007 - met with O-Surgeon Nov
                        2007 - due into braces Dec 2007.

                        Not sure whereabouts in that timeline you actually go "onto the
                        waiting list" - if you see what I mean!

                        How far have you got?

                        <ema_elsworth65@...> wrote:

                        > Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have you been waiting?
                        > Emma

                      • emi_lou15
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                          Hi,
                          Im due to come out the forces in the nxt few months and was at the
                          point of meeting with people now,saw ortho few weeks ago,however, due
                          to the way the MOD work, they have to send all my stuff to Civi
                          surgeons and everyone else involved as they cant start treatment if i
                          am leaving, so in view of how far iv got, not very far at all!!

                          From reading what yourself and sarah wrote im expecting to wait at
                          least a year from now. As im goin to have to start everything from
                          scratch again.

                          How do you feel about getting your braces next month? Any ideas how
                          long your whole process will take?

                          <cheekiestchappie@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Emma,
                          >
                          > I was referred by my GP Sept 2006. First MaxFac appointment Nov
                          2006 -
                          > met with Orthodontic Consultant March 2007 - met with O-Surgeon Nov
                          > 2007 - due into braces Dec 2007.
                          >
                          > Not sure whereabouts in that timeline you actually go "onto the
                          > waiting list" - if you see what I mean!
                          >
                          > How far have you got?
                          >

                          > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "emi_lou15"
                          > <ema_elsworth65@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have you been
                          waiting?
                          > > Emma

                        • susan
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                            Hi

                            I skipped the orthodontic treatment wait list by paying for te
                            orthodontics privately with exactly the same OD. Timelines
                            wise....first saw my surgeon privately in Feb 2005 who got me to go
                            see my doctor to refer me to see him again on the NHS. Had all my
                            wisdom teeth out in August 2005 and finally got the go-ahead to start
                            the orthodontics late in 2005. Got the braces on Jan 6th 2006 and a
                            full two years later I will be having my op on Jan 15th 2008 on the
                            NHS...not got a spare 11k to pay for private surgery! eek!

                            <cheekiestchappie@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Emma,
                            >
                            > I was referred by my GP Sept 2006. First MaxFac appointment Nov
                            2006 -
                            > met with Orthodontic Consultant March 2007 - met with O-Surgeon Nov
                            > 2007 - due into braces Dec 2007.
                            >
                            > Not sure whereabouts in that timeline you actually go "onto the
                            > waiting list" - if you see what I mean!
                            >
                            > How far have you got?
                            >

                            > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "emi_lou15"
                            > <ema_elsworth65@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have you been
                            waiting?
                            > > Emma

                          • susan
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 3, 2007
                              Should also say my estimate was 18 months of Orthodontics which was
                              just about spot on - was ready for surgery in October but have been
                              at the mercy of NHS surgery wait lists. I have a class III
                              malloclusion and wil be having top jaw brought forward bottom
                              backwards plus genioplasty.

                              --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "susan"
                              <suzan72@...> wrote:

                              > Hi
                              >
                              > I skipped the orthodontic treatment wait list by paying for te
                              > orthodontics privately with exactly the same OD. Timelines
                              > wise....first saw my surgeon privately in Feb 2005 who got me to go
                              > see my doctor to refer me to see him again on the NHS. Had all my
                              > wisdom teeth out in August 2005 and finally got the go-ahead to
                              start
                              > the orthodontics late in 2005. Got the braces on Jan 6th 2006 and
                              > full two years later I will be having my op on Jan 15th 2008 on the
                              > NHS...not got a spare 11k to pay for private surgery! eek!
                              >
                              > --- In
                              orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cheekiestchappie"
                              > <cheekiestchappie@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Emma,
                              > >
                              > > I was referred by my GP Sept 2006. First MaxFac appointment Nov
                              > 2006 -
                              > > met with Orthodontic Consultant March 2007 - met with O-Surgeon
                              Nov
                              > > 2007 - due into braces Dec 2007.
                              > >
                              > > Not sure whereabouts in that timeline you actually go "onto the
                              > > waiting list" - if you see what I mean!
                              > >
                              > > How far have you got?
                              > >

                              > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "emi_lou15"
                              > > <ema_elsworth65@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have you been
                              > waiting?
                              > > > Emma

                            • lucyms1984
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 4, 2007
                                Hi Susan,

                                Which part of the UK are you from? At my last appointment in Nov I
                                was told Im getting close. I have an appointment in March to have
                                moulds & x-rays done, Ive been in braces for just over a year. Does
                                this give an indication to how far from surgery I am? Im really
                                worried when I go in March that surgery won't be for another few
                                months.

                                Thanks,

                                Lucy

                                <suzan72@...> wrote:

                                > Hi
                                >
                                > I skipped the orthodontic treatment wait list by paying for te
                                > orthodontics privately with exactly the same OD. Timelines
                                > wise....first saw my surgeon privately in Feb 2005 who got me to
                                go
                                > see my doctor to refer me to see him again on the NHS. Had all my
                                > wisdom teeth out in August 2005 and finally got the go-ahead to
                                start
                                > the orthodontics late in 2005. Got the braces on Jan 6th 2006 and
                                > full two years later I will be having my op on Jan 15th 2008 on
                                the
                                > NHS...not got a spare 11k to pay for private surgery! eek!
                                >
                                > --- In
                                orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cheekiestchappie"
                                > <cheekiestchappie@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi Emma,
                                > >
                                > > I was referred by my GP Sept 2006. First MaxFac appointment Nov
                                > 2006 -
                                > > met with Orthodontic Consultant March 2007 - met with O-Surgeon
                                Nov
                                > > 2007 - due into braces Dec 2007.
                                > >
                                > > Not sure whereabouts in that timeline you actually go "onto the
                                > > waiting list" - if you see what I mean!
                                > >
                                > > How far have you got?
                                > >

                                > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "emi_lou15"
                                > > <ema_elsworth65@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hi! Im about to go on the waiting list! How long have you been
                                > waiting?
                                > > > Emma

                              • cheekiestchappie
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 4, 2007
                                  Emma,

                                  I'm not aware how it works with services vs civi. But some of my
                                  initial waiting time was:

                                  a) GP Sept 2006 - First MaxFac appointment Nov 2006
                                  b) First MaxFac - Orthodontic Consultant March 2007

                                  Not that I know how it works or anything, but would you not be able
                                  to shortcut these bits as you've already been approved for the
                                  treatment by forces docs?

                                  Re how do I feel about the braces?

                                  "Mixed" is the real answer. I'm definitely not overjoyed that I have
                                  to wear them. Not because I'll feel any more self-conscious (people
                                  stare at me all the time anyway) but because flossing will be such a
                                  chore.

                                  I also know that in the months prior to surgery the apparent
                                  underbite is even more pronounced. So for a few months I'll be
                                  really quite freakish looking. In fact, that probably concerns me
                                  most of all.

                                  But I keep reminding myself that the final results will be worth it!

                                  --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "lucyms1984"
                                  <lucyms1984@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Susan,
                                  >
                                  > Which part of the UK are you from? At my last appointment in Nov I
                                  > was told Im getting close. I have an appointment in March to have
                                  > moulds & x-rays done, Ive been in braces for just over a year.
                                  Does
                                  > this give an indication to how far from surgery I am? Im really
                                  > worried when I go in March that surgery won't be for another few
                                  > months.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Lucy
                                  >

                                  > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "susan"
                                  > <suzan72@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi
                                  > >
                                  > > I skipped the orthodontic treatment wait list by paying for te
                                  > > orthodontics privately with exactly the same OD. Timelines
                                  > > wise....first saw my surgeon privately in Feb 2005 who got me to
                                  > go
                                  > > see my doctor to refer me to see him again on the NHS. Had all
                                  my
                                  > > wisdom teeth out in August 2005 and finally got the go-ahead to
                                  > start
                                  > > the orthodontics late in 2005. Got the braces on Jan 6th 2006
                                  and
                                  > > full two years later I will be having my op on Jan 15th 2008 on
                                  > the
                                  > > NHS...not got a spare 11k to pay for private surgery! eek!
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In
                                  > orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cheekiestchappie"
                                  > > <cheekiestchappie@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hi Emma,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I was referred by my GP Sept 2006. First MaxFac appointment
                                  Nov
                                  > > 2006 -
                                  > > > met with Orthodontic Consultant March 2007 - met with O-
                                  Surgeon
                                  > Nov
                                  > > > 2007 - due into braces Dec 2007.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Not sure whereabouts in that timeline you actually go "onto the
                                  > > > waiting list" - if you see what I mean!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > How far have you got?
                                  > > >

                                  > > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "emi_lou15"

                                  > > waiting?

                                • lucyms1984
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 4, 2007
                                    Hi Cheekiestchappie!

                                    Unfortunatley the freakish awkward stage you were talking about is
                                    the stage Im at now! Ive had my brace on for just over a year now, I
                                    wasn't too chuffed about wearing them in the first place but I was
                                    warned by my ortho about making my bite more prominent so that was
                                    what I dreaded the most.
                                    I have an underbite like yourself & my bottom teeth had been tilted
                                    in before but now they've straightend up it does look a bit worse.
                                    (On the brightside, I have a bottom lip now! ;oP)
                                    Its not been easy but knowing that my surgery should be just a few
                                    more months down the line is what keeps me going.

                                    Lucy

                                    <cheekiestchappie@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "susan"
                                    > > <suzan72@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Hi
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I skipped the orthodontic treatment wait list by paying for te
                                    > > > orthodontics privately with exactly the same OD. Timelines
                                    > > > wise....first saw my surgeon privately in Feb 2005 who got me
                                    > > go
                                    > > > see my doctor to refer me to see him again on the NHS. Had
                                    all
                                    > my
                                    > > > wisdom teeth out in August 2005 and finally got the go-ahead
                                    > > start
                                    > > > the orthodontics late in 2005. Got the braces on Jan 6th 2006
                                    > and
                                    > > > full two years later I will be having my op on Jan 15th 2008
                                    on
                                    > > the
                                    > > > NHS...not got a spare 11k to pay for private surgery! eek!

                                  • emi_lou15
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 4, 2007
                                      Hi susan,
                                      Im thinking of goin down the route of private orthodontics and nhs
                                      surgery after looking into things today. Would you be able to tell me
                                      a rough amount you payed for you orthodontic work? I know it
                                      vary's,just as an idea?
                                      Thanks

                                      <suzan72@...> wrote:

                                      > Should also say my estimate was 18 months of Orthodontics which was
                                      > just about spot on - was ready for surgery in October but have been
                                      > at the mercy of NHS surgery wait lists. I have a class III
                                      > malloclusion and wil be having top jaw brought forward bottom
                                      > backwards plus genioplasty.
                                      >
                                      > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "susan"
                                      > <suzan72@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi
                                      > >
                                      > > I skipped the orthodontic treatment wait list by paying for te
                                      > > orthodontics privately with exactly the same OD. Timelines
                                      > > wise....first saw my surgeon privately in Feb 2005 who got me to
                                      go
                                      > > see my doctor to refer me to see him again on the NHS. Had all
                                      my
                                      > > wisdom teeth out in August 2005 and finally got the go-ahead to
                                      > start
                                      > > the orthodontics late in 2005. Got the braces on Jan 6th 2006
                                      and
                                      > > full two years later I will be having my op on Jan 15th 2008 on
                                      the
                                      > > NHS...not got a spare 11k to pay for private surgery! eek!
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In
                                      > orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cheekiestchappie"
                                      > > <cheekiestchappie@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Hi Emma,
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I was referred by my GP Sept 2006. First MaxFac appointment Nov
                                      > > 2006 -
                                      > > > met with Orthodontic Consultant March 2007 - met with O-Surgeon
                                      > Nov
                                      > > > 2007 - due into braces Dec 2007.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Not sure whereabouts in that timeline you actually go "onto the
                                      > > > waiting list" - if you see what I mean!
                                      > > >
                                      > > > How far have you got?
                                      > > >

                                      > > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "emi_lou15"

                                      > > waiting?

                                    • susan
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 4, 2007
                                        wow suddenly there;s lots of us from the UK!!!

                                        I'm 35 and due in surgery in January eek! in Surrey

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 4, 2007
                                          Hi

                                          absolutely no problem. My ortho work is costing £3800 which my OD
                                          does on an instalment plan. So I paid £100 up front followed by
                                          monthly payments of £100 which makes it a bit easier to swallow hehehe

                                          <ema_elsworth65@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi susan,
                                          > Im thinking of goin down the route of private orthodontics and nhs
                                          > surgery after looking into things today. Would you be able to tell
                                          me
                                          > a rough amount you payed for you orthodontic work? I know it
                                          > vary's,just as an idea?
                                          > Thanks
                                          >
                                          > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "susan"
                                          > <suzan72@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Should also say my estimate was 18 months of Orthodontics which
                                          was
                                          > > just about spot on - was ready for surgery in October but have
                                          been
                                          > > at the mercy of NHS surgery wait lists. I have a class III
                                          > > malloclusion and wil be having top jaw brought forward bottom
                                          > > backwards plus genioplasty.
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "susan"
                                          > > <suzan72@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Hi
                                          > > >
                                          > > > I skipped the orthodontic treatment wait list by paying for te
                                          > > > orthodontics privately with exactly the same OD. Timelines
                                          > > > wise....first saw my surgeon privately in Feb 2005 who got me
                                          > go
                                          > > > see my doctor to refer me to see him again on the NHS. Had all
                                          > my
                                          > > > wisdom teeth out in August 2005 and finally got the go-ahead to
                                          > > start
                                          > > > the orthodontics late in 2005. Got the braces on Jan 6th 2006
                                          > and
                                          > > > full two years later I will be having my op on Jan 15th 2008 on
                                          > the
                                          > > > NHS...not got a spare 11k to pay for private surgery! eek!
                                          > > >
                                          > > > --- In
                                          > > orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cheekiestchappie"

                                          Nov
                                          > > > 2006 -
                                          Surgeon
                                          > > Nov

                                          > been
                                          > > > waiting?

                                        • susan
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 4, 2007
                                            In terms of the surgery wait list - I didn't get put on that until my
                                            OD was sure I was ready so went on in October and got a date for
                                            January, would've been earluer but for a mis-booked appointment by
                                            the hospital which meant I missed seeing my surgeon in October.
                                            Really once your teeth are in place the wait for the surgical date
                                            should not be too long, I think 2 months would be fairly average.

                                            <ema_elsworth65@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi susan,
                                            > Im thinking of goin down the route of private orthodontics and nhs
                                            > surgery after looking into things today. Would you be able to tell
                                            me
                                            > a rough amount you payed for you orthodontic work? I know it
                                            > vary's,just as an idea?
                                            > Thanks
                                            >
                                            > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "susan"
                                            > <suzan72@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Should also say my estimate was 18 months of Orthodontics which
                                            was
                                            > > just about spot on - was ready for surgery in October but have
                                            been
                                            > > at the mercy of NHS surgery wait lists. I have a class III
                                            > > malloclusion and wil be having top jaw brought forward bottom
                                            > > backwards plus genioplasty.
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "susan"
                                            > > <suzan72@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Hi
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I skipped the orthodontic treatment wait list by paying for te
                                            > > > orthodontics privately with exactly the same OD. Timelines
                                            > > > wise....first saw my surgeon privately in Feb 2005 who got me
                                            > go
                                            > > > see my doctor to refer me to see him again on the NHS. Had all
                                            > my
                                            > > > wisdom teeth out in August 2005 and finally got the go-ahead to
                                            > > start
                                            > > > the orthodontics late in 2005. Got the braces on Jan 6th 2006
                                            > and
                                            > > > full two years later I will be having my op on Jan 15th 2008 on
                                            > the
                                            > > > NHS...not got a spare 11k to pay for private surgery! eek!
                                            > > >
                                            > > > --- In
                                            > > orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "cheekiestchappie"

                                            Nov
                                            > > > 2006 -
                                            Surgeon
                                            > > Nov

                                            > been
                                            > > > waiting?

                                          • cheekiestchappie
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 5, 2007
                                              Lucy,

                                              Stick in there!

                                              If it's any small consolation, despite all the worries I have about
                                              having an even more prominent underbite, I'm still envious of you
                                              because you're more than a year ahead of me in the treatment.

                                              Also, I'm guessing that you're probably quite a few years younger
                                              than me, so I'm actually double-envious of you :-) because you're
                                              getting all this done at a more appropriate time of your life.

                                              Good luck getting an early date for the op!!

                                              <lucyms1984@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                              > > really quite freakish looking. In fact, that probably concerns
                                              me
                                              > > most of all.
                                              > >
                                              > > But I keep reminding myself that the final results will be worth
                                              > it!
                                              > >

                                              > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "lucyms1984"
                                              > > <lucyms1984@> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Hi Susan,
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Which part of the UK are you from? At my last appointment in
                                              Nov
                                              > > > was told Im getting close. I have an appointment in March to
                                              > have
                                              > > > moulds & x-rays done, Ive been in braces for just over a year.
                                              > > Does
                                              > > > this give an indication to how far from surgery I am? Im
                                              really
                                              > > > worried when I go in March that surgery won't be for another

                                            • lucyms1984
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 5, 2007
                                                Cheekiestchappie!

                                                Im 23 but Ive been going through this for the last 6 years!

                                                After waiting so long, I was absolutley desperate to get my brace
                                                on & just get things going so I know how frustraited you must feel!

                                                My first year in braces really has just flown by. I can't believe
                                                Ive managed to stick it out seeing as Im such an impatient person
                                                anyways! I think you gradually get used to how your bite looks (Im
                                                more bothered by how awkward it feels) so try not worry too much
                                                about it.

                                                Keep us updated on how your getting on!

                                                <cheekiestchappie@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                > > able
                                                > > > to shortcut these bits as you've already been approved for the
                                                > > > treatment by forces docs?
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Re how do I feel about the braces?
                                                > > >
                                                > > > "Mixed" is the real answer. I'm definitely not overjoyed that
                                                > > have
                                                > > > to wear them. Not because I'll feel any more self-conscious
                                                > > (people
                                                > > > stare at me all the time anyway) but because flossing will be
                                                > such
                                                > > > chore.
                                                > > >
                                                > > > I also know that in the months prior to surgery the apparent
                                                > > > underbite is even more pronounced. So for a few months I'll be
                                                > > > really quite freakish looking. In fact, that probably concerns
                                                > me
                                                > > > most of all.
                                                > > >
                                                > > > But I keep reminding myself that the final results will be

                                              • Sarah Penketh
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 5, 2007
                                                  Hi Emma,

                                                  Sorry for the late reply I had a appointment with my surgeon.

                                                  From jaw surgery point of view I am very happy with the results, the difference was amazing. Unfortunatley due to my cleft my surgery journey doesn't stop there. But I have no regrest about going through with the surgery.

                                                  I live in wales but have my treatment done in Liverpool.

                                                  Sarah