Re: [Orthognathic Surgery Support ] Re: CallingPat...Calling Pat!

  • jennifer milligan
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi Pat,

      I have to agree with you on the upper lip thing - I'm about 10 weeks out and my upper lip still gets puffy and is still somewhat numb, although lately I've had the pins and needles feeling showing up there a lot. Sometimes it's just a quick zap of pain. My upper gum is still numb also. My OS told me this is the last place for feeling to return - it's the area with the most stitches and where bone/cartilage was shaved off during the septoplasty. I guess when you have the upper advanced, it bows your septum, and in order for you not to get a turned-up nose post surgery, they shave down a section. My surgeon also used a special "Y" stitch as some refer to it on this site, so that the nostrils don't flare. All of this extra stuff done to this area is the reason for the excess swelling and numbness in the upper lip. I feel like I have a fake smile right now, and when I talk, I feel like a ventriloquist dummy who's mouth only moves on the bottom! My massotherapist
      assures me that all feeling will return and swelling will subside. Have you tried massotherapy? Keep healing and be kind to yourself.

      Jen M.
      lefort 1 July 25th

      plcarle58 <pcarle@...> wrote:
      HELLO Betsy,

      I'm going well. Thanks for asking. I don't get on here as much
      lately. I haven't had a splint since 10 days after my surgery. I
      think you might have me mistaken for someone else.

      What about you? I read a few things about your infection. What
      happened? Last I read, you had a root canal. Was it more? I
      believe my infection is gone. Those antibiotics did a number on my
      intestinal track though.

      I still have some swelling and numbness and I'm still concerned
      about my upper lip. It hasn't come back to normal yet and looks
      really weird. I think it's because of the incision they did below
      the nose and it has tightened the lip. Is yours that way too? I
      don't read much about that bothering too many others. Plus my upper
      lip is numb and most people with upper & lower surgery, the lower is
      more numb. Anyway, I'm still waiting for my lip to soften up and
      look normal. I'm not real thrilled about the looks of my new face.
      Although, my smile is perfect now. That's cool. I just think that
      because he brought my chin out 13mm, that my face is long and flat
      now. I guess I need cheek implants like a couple other were talking
      about on here, but I'm not having another surgery….so that's out of
      the question. I will have to live with what I have and get use to
      it. Eating is slowly getting better and I mean sooooo verrrryyyyyy
      slooowwwllyy.. How about you?

      Anyway, tonight is my high school reunion. 30 years. I'm a little
      apprehensive about going, but probably will. Wish the swelling was
      completely gone. I can't wait to see everyone though. Should be
      fun.

      Take care,
      Pat

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "gb2244"
      <gb2244@...> wrote:

      > Hey Pat,
      >
      > Long time since we have seen any posts from you. How ya doin'?
      You
      > ever get that splint out?
      >
      > Hope you are doing okay!
      >
      > Betsy

    • plcarle58
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Jen,

        Thanks for your comments. Very informative. I really haven't heard
        many people complain/comment about the upper lip as I have. I am 8
        weeks from upper & lower, so you are right in front of me. I am also
        having the zaps of pain in my upper lips and gums. I like it because
        then I know that the numbness is going away (fingers crossed). The
        outer swelling is mostly gone, but I can feel inner swelling still.
        My right side is taking longer to heal than the left. Plus I
        developed an infection on that side a month or so ago, which has now
        cleared. I am still waiting for the final results.

        How is the roof of your mouth? The right side of mine is numb, but
        not the left. Isn't that weird? Like it's split right down the
        middle. I've noticed that the more I talk and/or smile, it seems to
        help the next couple days. I suppose that would be exercising my
        mouth in a way. No, I haven't tried massotherapy.

        How is your chewing? I seem to chew on the left most. As I said,
        the right is a little more sensitive. It's definitely going to take
        more time to be able to chew normal again. It's slowly getting
        better though.

        Thanks again,
        Pat

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, jennifer milligan
        <bvillagegirl@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > because he brought my chin out 13mm, that my face is long and flat
        > now. I guess I need cheek implants like a couple other were talking
        > about on here, but I'm not having another surgery….so that's out of
        > the question. I will have to live with what I have and get use to
        > it. Eating is slowly getting better and I mean sooooo verrrryyyyyy
        > slooowwwllyy.. How about you?
        >
        > Anyway, tonight is my high school reunion. 30 years. I'm a little
        > apprehensive about going, but probably will. Wish the swelling was
        > completely gone. I can't wait to see everyone though. Should be
        > fun.
        >
        > Take care,
        > Pat
        >
        > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "gb2244"
        > <gb2244@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey Pat,
        > >
        > > Long time since we have seen any posts from you. How ya doin'?

      • jennifer milligan
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
          My left side always seems a bit more swollen by the end of the day. I know exercise and being active is good for the swelling, but by the end of the day, with all my talking and chewing, I can tell inside things are tighter and swollen. The roof of my mouth feels like I burned it on piping hot pizza cheese - somewhat numb. My chewing is ok. I think since my teeth still have to be moved into their perm. place, I tend to knock into teeth I shouldn't be when chewing - does that make sense? It's still awkward, but it's getting better - my surgeon told me at 6 weeks to step up the chewing, after I told him I hadn't regained any of the 13 lbs. I lost. I'm really trying but it make my jaw tired and swollen by days end. I really shouldn't complain though - I've had no complications or infections like a lot of people on this sight. I'm learning to count my blessings! Take care.

          Jen M.