Re: When does swelling disapear?

  • legacy0193
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
      Just curious, did you have the ramus osteotomy or the sagittal split?

      thanks-Allison

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "wttrainer80"
      <wttrainer80@...> wrote:

      > Allison,
      >
      > I was originally scheduled to have upper and lower but as the
      surgery
      > date neared, my progress models (from 1.5 years of orthodontia)
      > showed that the upper was really unnecessary since the amount of
      > movement could begotten by just sliding the lower jaw back. There
      was
      > concern that my profile would appear "weaker" as a result, and
      that's
      > why they made up for it with the genioplasty. I'm 23 days out and
      > feeling surprisingly normal (except when I eat!) so far.
      >
      > -Chris
      >

      > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "legacy0193"
      > <legacy0193@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a question for both of you. Did you have both upper and
      > lower
      > > surgery?
      > >
      > > Or just one?
      > >
      > > I am a class III as well that is not that noticeable however I
      only
      > > have 4 teeth I can chew on and I have had 5 root canals due to my
      > > bite. I have a surgery date on July 18th and I am only having
      the
      > > lower surgery.
      > >

      > > I am curious to know what type you both had.
      > > thanks-Allison
      > >

      > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "wttrainer80"
      > > <wttrainer80@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hmmmm...I know what you mean. I had a class III underbite that
      > > wasn't
      > > > very noticable either and while the surgery wen't pretty
      > > successfully
      > > > (it was 3 weeks ago and the swelling is almost completely gone
      > > which
      > > > the doc said was VERY rare) a lot of my friends were
      > like "uh..why
      > > > did you do it again?"
      > > >
      > > > I actually have more of a square jaw right now, which I think
      is
      > > > pretty cool (call it an "auxillary benefit"), but my cheeks are
      > > > definitely fuller. The good thing about it is that it makes you
      > > look
      > > > younger - I'm 26 and used to always be mistaken for 10 years
      > > > older..now most say I look like I'm MUCH younger.
      > > >
      > > > So question is..could you get a genioplasty or an implant to
      give
      > > > your jawline more length and your cheeks less "pooling"?
      > > >
      > > > -Chris
      > > >
      > > > which is kinda cool in that I have no more premature lines at
> [...]
    • wttrainer80
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
        Saggittal split. I was tightly banded shut for a week, then had
        looser bands for the next 2 weeks. Now I'm free of all obstruction,
        but taking it easy with regard to jaw use (just to be on the safe
        side). I hear witht he Ramus ostectomy you have to be wired shut for
        a while since there's less surface area for the bone to heal around
        (check out the proceedure on google and you'll see what I mean).
        Either way, in retrospect, if I had the option, I would have elected
        to stay banded longer to ensure that there are no complications with
        the healing process (you never know..). I seem to be doing very well
        so far (except for trying to eat a salad last night *DUMB*) but I'm
        not going to try anything ambitious, food-wise, for another few weeks.

        Hope this helps.

        <legacy0193@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > that's
        > > why they made up for it with the genioplasty. I'm 23 days out and
        > > feeling surprisingly normal (except when I eat!) so far.
        > >
        > > -Chris
        > >

        > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "legacy0193"
        > > <legacy0193@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have a question for both of you. Did you have both upper and
        > > lower
        > > > surgery?
        > > >
        > > > Or just one?
        > > >
        > > > I am a class III as well that is not that noticeable however I
        > only
        > > > have 4 teeth I can chew on and I have had 5 root canals due to
        my
        > > > bite. I have a surgery date on July 18th and I am only having
        > the
        > > > lower surgery.
        > > >

        > > > I am curious to know what type you both had.

      • drew19003
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
          I had a sagittal split and lefort 1 done. I would make sure you talk
          to your surgeon about having your chin done and what his opinion is.
          Mine left my face looking really round and fat. I'm going to talk to
          him in a few weeks about doing something for my chin when I see him
          to get some of my screws removed. Hopefully, this helps my cheeks. It
          looks like it should from other pictures of chin surgeries I have
          viewed.

          <legacy0193@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > that's
          > > why they made up for it with the genioplasty. I'm 23 days out and
          > > feeling surprisingly normal (except when I eat!) so far.
          > >
          > > -Chris
          > >

          > > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "legacy0193"
          > > <legacy0193@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have a question for both of you. Did you have both upper and
          > > lower
          > > > surgery?
          > > >
          > > > Or just one?
          > > >
          > > > I am a class III as well that is not that noticeable however I
          > only
          > > > have 4 teeth I can chew on and I have had 5 root canals due to
          my
          > > > bite. I have a surgery date on July 18th and I am only having
          > the
          > > > lower surgery.
          > > >

          > > > I am curious to know what type you both had.

        • legacy0193
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
            Yes, thanks. I am supposed to have the ramus osteotomy only. I was
            told that I would be wired shut for 2-3 weeks.

            Its good to hear that it worked out for you though!

            Thanks again for your feedback. I appreciate it.