Re: Really, really down

  • enthral76
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2007
      Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. It makes me feel better
      knowing that others expereinced the same kind of thing. I'm going to
      check out those excercies Ana. Thanks.
    • betterjaw
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2007
        Hi there, tears!
        I wanted to share something with you becuase I work in the
        photography/video industry. When you see a photographic image of
        yourself, or a video for that matter, you are seeing a reverse of what
        you are used to seeing in the mirror (i.e. left is right, and right is
        left). Nobody's face is symmetrical anyway (except Kate Moss, ok?) and
        our brains become used to seeing our selves the way we see in the
        mirror. The first time I saw myself on video I freaked out that the
        left side of my lip wasn't even with the right. I had never noticed
        before cuz I see myself everyday and I was just 'used' to it. So, my
        point is, other people see you the same way every day and are 'used' to
        what they see, just like you are used to what you see in the mirror.
        They most likely do not see the asymmetry because for one, most people
        aren't very observant anyway ;) and for two, their brains have adjusted
        to your features the way your brain has when you look in the mirror.
        I'm sure they think you look good, like when you see yourself in the
        mirror! Also, when we have any change, we are analyzing things to
        death, and things take some getting used to. Even when I get my hair
        done it always takes a little getting used to. Even if it's exactly
        what I asked for, and the rest of the world thinks it looks great, it
        always takes me some adjusting (I usually give it a couple days to 2
        weeks before I can really judge it).
        Anyway, I just wanted to say HANG IN THERE! and I'm sure it's not as
        bad as you think, it's just the reverse image that is throwing your
        brain for a loop. Be nice to yourself!

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "enthral76"
        <brankort@...> wrote:

        > My husband took a pic of me this morning, and i made the mistake of
        > looking at it. I can't believe how much my face is off kilter -
        > everything looks off center and my lips don't close properly. My nose
        > turns up more...it was crooked before the surgey, but now it is sooo
        > much worse. I never noticed this stuff looking in the mirror. I
        wasn't
        > too worried about appearance until now....but my god if that is how
        > people see me....I want my old face and smile back. I am about 8
        weeks
        > post op. I would think this is how I'll look from here on out. I am
        not
        > happy.
        >
        > *tears*

      • liz
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2007
          You are probably still swollen and of course thats going to change
          your face! It will come down. Don't worry. I took a picture of myself
          and thought I looked pretty good---now I look back at it and I was
          really swollen and you could tell something had happened, which
          explains the looks I got when I went to the store and the comments
          about the pictures! A couple weeks after surgery my surgeon said that
          most the swelling is gone----Then I started to panick because I still
          was pretty swollen. they loose perspective when working with so many
          paitents and their "gone" is "getting better" their "pressure"
          is "unbelivable pain" and don't even get me started on what "its just
          a small tap-tap" means! Anyway give your body a chance to heal and
          don't worry. Easier said then done but its not like there is anything
          you can do at this point but wait.

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "betterjaw"