Surgery tomorrow--March 2!

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
      I can't believe it's here already. I have to be at the OR at 6:30am
      (5:30 EST) tomorrow morning and my surgery will be around 8:30am (7:30
      EST). I'm a little sick with a cold and have a mild sore throat and
      slight cough, but my OD thinks I will be good to go. I can breath
      through my nose and there's no congestion in my chest.

      I'm getting a Lefort 1 and genio. My OD told me yesterday that I was
      in for a huge cosmetic change and was I prepared for it. I told him "I
      think so". LOL! I'm not sure how one can prepare for a new face.

      I'm not nervous at all. I'm very excited and can't wait to get it over
      with. I want to go NOW. :-)

      I'm packing for the hospital and was wondering if you guys had any
      suggestions on what to bring. I have pajamas, a mirror, chapstick,
      glasses case, cleansing wipes for my face (will it hurt to much to
      clean my face?), shampoo, soap, Nasonex, Afrin, slippers, housecoat,
      book, brush, deodorant, and I forget what else. Help!

      Rebecca
      http://rearrangemyface.blogspot.com
    • fiddlesticks220002
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hi Rebecca,

        Best wishes for tomorrow!

        A couple of things to consider:
        [1] Use the hospital's pjs - better to bleed on theirs than yours.
        [2] Breathe Right nose strips will help with the congestion,
        particularly since you have a bit of a cold. You can get them in a
        menthol version too. Vick's vaporub for the chest is also good (I
        think they make strips for that too)
        [3] Some picture magazines in case you don't want TV in the
        hospital. That's about all I could focus on.
        [4] A hat (you'll have terrible bed-head and will probably not be
        able to wash your hair post-op before going home)

        For a friend to take and keep custody for you:
        [1] camera (we want to see photos!)
        [2] CD or MP3 player or IPOD with your favourite soothing music

        Do NOT leave anything unattended (even if you're asleep) in the
        hospital. Have a friend take anything you couldn't live without out
        of the room for you (purse, electronic equip, etc), bringing it back
        when you're alert.

        As for the cosmetic change, well, I had plenty and it was
        unexpected. Don't be concerned if you feel a bit detached from the
        stranger in the mirror - you'll get used to it over time. It's still
        you inside.

        Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope to hear back from you soon.
        Susan

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca"
        <sillymom@...> wrote:

        > I can't believe it's here already. I have to be at the OR at 6:30am
        > (5:30 EST) tomorrow morning and my surgery will be around 8:30am
        (7:30
        > EST). I'm a little sick with a cold and have a mild sore throat and
        > slight cough, but my OD thinks I will be good to go. I can breath
        > through my nose and there's no congestion in my chest.
        >
        > I'm getting a Lefort 1 and genio. My OD told me yesterday that I
        was
        > in for a huge cosmetic change and was I prepared for it. I told
        him "I
        > think so". LOL! I'm not sure how one can prepare for a new face.
        >
        > I'm not nervous at all. I'm very excited and can't wait to get it
        over
        > with. I want to go NOW. :-)
        >
        > I'm packing for the hospital and was wondering if you guys had any
        > suggestions on what to bring. I have pajamas, a mirror, chapstick,
        > glasses case, cleansing wipes for my face (will it hurt to much to
        > clean my face?), shampoo, soap, Nasonex, Afrin, slippers,
        housecoat,
        > book, brush, deodorant, and I forget what else. Help!
        >
        > Rebecca
        > http://rearrangemyface.blogspot.com

      • kgower5529
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
          Hey Rebecca...I didn't have a shower in my room so those items would
          have been for naught. Plus when I got home I took baths for the
          first two days. I was too tired to stand plus I had stiches in my
          face from two mole removals....compliments of the anesthesiologist.
          No matter glad they are gone, but my point is that I couldn't
          shower. It'll probably depend upon the same things whether or not
          you will be able to. I went to the hospital in sweat pants, t-
          shirt, and sweat shirt....exactly what I wore home. I did get a dry
          erase board and a pen & pad to write on. Make sure you take those
          two things. I think I was too exhausted to even pick up a book for
          more than a week. Kim

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
            PS....good luck!! Kim

            --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "kgower5529"
            <kgower5529@...> wrote:

            > Hey Rebecca...I didn't have a shower in my room so those items
            would
            > have been for naught. Plus when I got home I took baths for the
            > first two days. I was too tired to stand plus I had stiches in my
            > face from two mole removals....compliments of the
            anesthesiologist.
            > No matter glad they are gone, but my point is that I couldn't
            > shower. It'll probably depend upon the same things whether or not
            > you will be able to. I went to the hospital in sweat pants, t-
            > shirt, and sweat shirt....exactly what I wore home. I did get a
            dry
            > erase board and a pen & pad to write on. Make sure you take those
            > two things. I think I was too exhausted to even pick up a book
            for
            > more than a week. Kim
            >

            > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca"
            > <sillymom@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I can't believe it's here already. I have to be at the OR at
            6:30am
            > > (5:30 EST) tomorrow morning and my surgery will be around 8:30am
            > (7:30
            > > EST). I'm a little sick with a cold and have a mild sore throat
            and
            > > slight cough, but my OD thinks I will be good to go. I can breath
            > > through my nose and there's no congestion in my chest.
            > >
            > > I'm getting a Lefort 1 and genio. My OD told me yesterday that I
            > was
            > > in for a huge cosmetic change and was I prepared for it. I told
            > him "I
            > > think so". LOL! I'm not sure how one can prepare for a new face.
            > >
            > > I'm not nervous at all. I'm very excited and can't wait to get
            it
            > over
            > > with. I want to go NOW. :-)
            > >
            > > I'm packing for the hospital and was wondering if you guys had
            any
            > > suggestions on what to bring. I have pajamas, a mirror,
            chapstick,
            > > glasses case, cleansing wipes for my face (will it hurt to much
            > > clean my face?), shampoo, soap, Nasonex, Afrin, slippers,
            > housecoat,
            > > book, brush, deodorant, and I forget what else. Help!
            > >
            > > Rebecca
            > > http://rearrangemyface.blogspot.com

          • l55evans
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
              <sillymom@...> wrote:

              > I can't believe it's here already. I have to be at the OR at 6:30am
              > (5:30 EST) tomorrow morning and my surgery will be around 8:30am
              (7:30
              > EST). I'm a little sick with a cold and have a mild sore throat and
              > slight cough, but my OD thinks I will be good to go. I can breath
              > through my nose and there's no congestion in my chest.
              >
              > I'm getting a Lefort 1 and genio. My OD told me yesterday that I
              was
              > in for a huge cosmetic change and was I prepared for it. I told
              him "I
              > think so". LOL! I'm not sure how one can prepare for a new face.
              >
              > I'm not nervous at all. I'm very excited and can't wait to get it
              over
              > with. I want to go NOW. :-)
              >
              > I'm packing for the hospital and was wondering if you guys had any
              > suggestions on what to bring. I have pajamas, a mirror, chapstick,
              > glasses case, cleansing wipes for my face (will it hurt to much to
              > clean my face?), shampoo, soap, Nasonex, Afrin, slippers,
              housecoat,
              > book, brush, deodorant, and I forget what else. Help!
              >
              > Rebecca
              > http://rearrangemyface.blogspot.com

              I had the surgery 12/6. Still a bit numb but it's coming around. I
              would suggest wear something loose and comfortable to the hospital
              tomorrow and don't take alot of stuff. They give you stuff for your
              lips. I had the same exact surgery that you are having. I wasn't
              wired so I was brushing my teeth right away. Make sure you get a
              baby toothbrush. I was on a liquid/pureed diet for 2 months. I
              bought a magic bullet and ate just about everything. It's an
              amazing little machine. I did lose 10 pounds which was good. I was
              only in the hospital 23 hours. Can you believe that????? The
              resident doctor said "We like to release well people. You can catch
              nasty stuff here. You will recuperate much faster at home". I was
              on pain/nausea medicine the whole time. My surgery was 5 1/2
              hours. Right before they released me they take you for xrays all
              over again and then they rubberbanded four teeth. You really need
              someone to help you when you go home.

              Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, I recommend liquid
              nutrition which is a liquid vitamin that I bought at Costco. Sams
              also has it. I bought two cases of boost and ensure and still have
              some left. I ate mainly pureed food thinned with either water/milk
              or broth.
            • l55evans
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
                --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, l55evans
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca"
                > <sillymom@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I can't believe it's here already. I have to be at the OR at
                6:30am
                > > (5:30 EST) tomorrow morning and my surgery will be around 8:30am
                > (7:30
                > > EST). I'm a little sick with a cold and have a mild sore throat
                and
                > > slight cough, but my OD thinks I will be good to go. I can breath
                > > through my nose and there's no congestion in my chest.
                > >
                > > I'm getting a Lefort 1 and genio. My OD told me yesterday that I
                > was
                > > in for a huge cosmetic change and was I prepared for it. I told
                > him "I
                > > think so". LOL! I'm not sure how one can prepare for a new face.
                > >
                > > I'm not nervous at all. I'm very excited and can't wait to get
                it
                > over
                > > with. I want to go NOW. :-)
                > >
                > > I'm packing for the hospital and was wondering if you guys had
                any
                > > suggestions on what to bring. I have pajamas, a mirror,
                chapstick,
                > > glasses case, cleansing wipes for my face (will it hurt to much
                > > clean my face?), shampoo, soap, Nasonex, Afrin, slippers,
                > housecoat,
                > > book, brush, deodorant, and I forget what else. Help!
                > >
                > > Rebecca
                > > http://rearrangemyface.blogspot.com
                > >

                > I had the surgery 12/6. Still a bit numb but it's coming around.
                > would suggest wear something loose and comfortable to the hospital
                > tomorrow and don't take alot of stuff. They give you stuff for
                your
                > lips. I had the same exact surgery that you are having. I wasn't
                > wired so I was brushing my teeth right away. Make sure you get a
                > baby toothbrush. I was on a liquid/pureed diet for 2 months. I
                > bought a magic bullet and ate just about everything. It's an
                > amazing little machine. I did lose 10 pounds which was good. I
                was
                > only in the hospital 23 hours. Can you believe that????? The
                > resident doctor said "We like to release well people. You can
                catch
                > nasty stuff here. You will recuperate much faster at home". I
                was
                > on pain/nausea medicine the whole time. My surgery was 5 1/2
                > hours. Right before they released me they take you for xrays all
                > over again and then they rubberbanded four teeth. You really need
                > someone to help you when you go home.
                >
                > Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, I recommend liquid
                > nutrition which is a liquid vitamin that I bought at Costco. Sams
                > also has it. I bought two cases of boost and ensure and still
                have
                > some left. I ate mainly pureed food thinned with either
                water/milk
                > or broth.
                I just realized I didn't sign the above message.
                .....Linda

              • Wendy Ballard
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
                  Best of luck tomorrow Rebecca. I would strongly suggest the following:

                  1) Vaseline (for your lips) - ask your family who will be with you to put it on every time they notice.
                  2) PJ that button up in the front - you won't want to pull anything over your head.
                  3) Afrin & saline

                  All other items were irrelevant to me and/or the hospital provided them.

                  One other item - if you can, ask the hospital to give you a high humidity mask post-op. This will just provide steam to your face but it helps so much in keeping your sinuses moving. I would think this would be extremely helpful to you if you are already a little bit stuffed.

                  Looking forward to hearing from you on the other side.

                  Thanks,
                  Wendy

                  <sillymom@...> wrote:

                  > I can't believe it's here already. I have to be at the OR at 6:30am
                  > (5:30 EST) tomorrow morning and my surgery will be around 8:30am
                  (7:30
                  > EST). I'm a little sick with a cold and have a mild sore throat and
                  > slight cough, but my OD thinks I will be good to go. I can breath
                  > through my nose and there's no congestion in my chest.
                  >
                  > I'm getting a Lefort 1 and genio. My OD told me yesterday that I
                  was
                  > in for a huge cosmetic change and was I prepared for it. I told
                  him "I
                  > think so". LOL! I'm not sure how one can prepare for a new face.
                  >
                  > I'm not nervous at all. I'm very excited and can't wait to get it
                  over
                  > with. I want to go NOW. :-)
                  >
                  > I'm packing for the hospital and was wondering if you guys had any
                  > suggestions on what to bring. I have pajamas, a mirror, chapstick,
                  > glasses case, cleansing wipes for my face (will it hurt to much to
                  > clean my face?), shampoo, soap, Nasonex, Afrin, slippers,
                  housecoat,
                  > book, brush, deodorant, and I forget what else. Help!
                  >
                  > Rebecca
                  > http://rearrangemyface.blogspot.com

                  I had the surgery 12/6. Still a bit numb but it's coming around. I
                  would suggest wear something loose and comfortable to the hospital
                  tomorrow and don't take alot of stuff. They give you stuff for your
                  lips. I had the same exact surgery that you are having. I wasn't
                  wired so I was brushing my teeth right away. Make sure you get a
                  baby toothbrush. I was on a liquid/pureed diet for 2 months. I
                  bought a magic bullet and ate just about everything. It's an
                  amazing little machine. I did lose 10 pounds which was good. I was
                  only in the hospital 23 hours. Can you believe that????? The
                  resident doctor said "We like to release well people. You can catch
                  nasty stuff here. You will recuperate much faster at home". I was
                  on pain/nausea medicine the whole time. My surgery was 5 1/2
                  hours. Right before they released me they take you for xrays all
                  over again and then they rubberbanded four teeth. You really need
                  someone to help you when you go home.

                  Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, I recommend liquid
                  nutrition which is a liquid vitamin that I bought at Costco. Sams
                  also has it. I bought two cases of boost and ensure and still have
                  some left. I ate mainly pureed food thinned with either water/milk
                  or broth.

                • guzman_anny
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
                    My God Rebecca! Your going through surgery like right this minute!
                    Can't wait to hear from you and know how it went.

                    Hahahaha, I barely packed stuff. Just took my pj's, baby toothbrush,
                    toothpaste, hairbrush, vaseline and deodorant. And I think the only
                    thing I used was the deodorant and vaseline, lol (God!!! Put
                    soooooooooo much vaseline all around your lips!). But then again, I
                    was only there for a day... Oh wait! My mom also took me some dvd's
                    because I had tv so I wouldn't get bored. I slept with the same robe
                    thingy they give you to put on for surgery and left with the same
                    clothes I went in with.

                    I didn't bathe for 3 days I think because I felt sooo weak and the
                    day I decided to take a bath my mom was close by just in case I felt
                    kind of dizzy. My hair? Washed it terribly for a week or so hahahaha
                    because your neck feels kind of stiff and it's hard to drop your
                    head back (feels like it takes too much effort for your neck to hold
                    your head).

                    Wishing you a great recovery!!! Hugs,
                    Ana