Re: Nasal Congestion

  • chadwicked1000
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      I had upper/lower jaw, genio, and turbinectomy on Dec 20. Before
      the surgery I also had sleep apnea and the was the main reason for
      this journey. I am still very much in recovery but breathing better
      then ever.

      Heres the deal. The first three days are the most difficult to get
      past. If your having upper and lower you will most likely be
      staying in the hospital overnight. This night is not too
      unpleasent. I had a machine that blew steam into my face and nose
      and this opened my airways greatly. When you get home is where it
      got a little scary for me. If you have a c-pap I highly recomend
      wearing it. I probably over did it with mine wearing it threw out
      the day but I wasn't able to get air any other way. Your lips will
      be very swollen making it nearly imposible to get air threw your
      mouth. I did figure out however that if you hold your lips open you
      can suck a little air threw your braces but its very uncomfortable.
      Boil water and use the steam to clear your out your nose. Then I
      used q-tips to clean out my nasals (very carefully). My doctor
      sugested that I don't blow my nose for 8 weeks so I will be cleaning
      my nose this way for many weeks to come. Use the nasal spray
      constantly and you shouldn't have a problem.

      For me the breathing problem was only a concern for three days
      tops. Goodluck I hope that everything goes well.

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "kifibon"
      <kifibon@...> wrote:

      > hi-
      >
      > i had upper/lower jaw surgery as well as a septoplasty and
      turbinate
      > reduction 4 weeks ago. prior to surgery i was diagnosed w/ mild
      > sleep apnea primarily while sleeping on my back. i used nasonex to
      > deal w/ nightly congestion as well. i tended to breathe through my
      > mouth rather than through my nose while sleeping. i woke up almost
      > every night out of breath and w/ a dry mouth.
      >
      > i can say that after surgery i noticed a difference in my
      breathing
      > almost immediately even though my nose was very congested. i wasnt
      > wired shut so i was able to breathe out of my mouth. i wasnt
      allowed
      > to blow my nose for 2 weeks after surgery but i could use nasal
      > decongestants like afrin and sudafed. this really helped clear my
      > nose for breathing.
      >
      > i've slept through the entire night almost every night since
      surgery
      > and havent once woken up out of breath. the dry mouth is gone,
      too.
      > basically what my surgeon said was that widening my upper jaw (in
      > addition to the septoplasty and turbinectomy) opened my nasal
      > passages. He also said that moving my lower jaw forward doubled
      the
      > size of my airway.
      >
      > Improving my breathing was something I really wanted to get out of
      > this surgery and I'm very happy with the results. I'm still banded
      > shut so I'm anxious to see what kind of long-term results I'll
      have
      > especially when I can start exercising again.
      >
      > Good luck and lemme know if you have any questions.
      >
      > keith
      >

      > --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "marketbuy2002"
      > <marketbuy2002@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Currently, I have nasal congestion. One of the reasons why I'm
      > having
      > > braces and jaw surgery is that I snore and have mild/moderate
      sleep
      > > apnea.
      > >
      > > What freaks me out about having jaw surgery is that I will be
      wire
      > > shut. That means I'll have to breathe through my congested
      nose.

      > > Question: For those who had congested nasal prior to surgery,
      did
      > > upper jaw surgery improve your breathing? We had talked about
      how
      > jaw
      > > surgery can reduce or eliminate sleep apnea, but can it improve
      > your
      > > breathing after 3 months of surgery? I can understand that
      > immediate
      > > after surgery, the nasal will become congested due to
      > inflammation.
      > > However, once your jaws heal, do you breathe much easier? How
      many
      > > here had partial turbinectomy done while having upper jaw
> [...]
    • violentdissmay
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        Talk to your surgeon and ask if you actually are going to be wired
        shut, I believe alot of surgeons use rubber bands instead of actual
        wires nowadays, you'll be able to breathe comfortably through your mouth.
      • marketbuy2002
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
          Thanks for the reply. Did your snoring go away too after jaw surgery?