Re: nutter552 hypersensitive chin/gum

  • nutter552
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
      Wow thanks for the response, It seemed like no one else knew what I
      was talking about heh. Sorry to hear you are still experiencing the
      sensation 4 months post-op..... did your OS say the hyperactive
      mandibular nerve was anything dangerous/ something to worry about ?
      It's not painful, just awkward (as you obviously know).. I guess I'd
      be able to live with it if need be. Also, is the surgery to remove
      the screws a major surgery, or something that can be done in the
      office ? Im going to contact my OS and find out about this and see
      what he can do. Thanks

      --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, <indyandsam@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Nutter:
      > I'm 4 months post-op and I know exactly what you're talking
      about. I have had ortho for 3 years and still ended up with lower
      jaw advancement and genio. I have a little more going on than you do
      because I also have a mini implant in my jaw with a chain that runs
      to my braces to pull the molars back in order to make room for an
      implant where I'm missing a bicuspid. Anyway, it's a hyperactive
      mandibular nerve only mine is on the right side. I first discovered
      it all of a sudden when I was about 8 weeks post-op and was using a
      floss threader in my molar area and when I tried to pull it up
      through the contact the jolt hit me and ran along the lower right
      side of my jaw to my chin. My OS said it's not very common but he
      decided when I get the implant put in about 3 months from now he is
      going to remove all of the screws on the right side because they may
      be interfering with the nerve. It's not an infection so not to
      worry. Hopefully your sensation will go away as I'm still
      > living with mine.

    • ceast36532
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
        I don't know about hyperactive nerves (and think I don't want to,
        thank you very much!) But believe that when all else is usual,
        removal of screws need not be a big deal. My doc said that he could
        do it in office.

        Now, if you have nerves that are irksome and giving you trouble
        already, things may be different. Talk with your doc.

        And if you have plates, especially if they are high on your facial
        bones, that may be another set of problems. But for most folks,
        removal of the hardware is a lot easier than the procedures that
        install it, unless you have an infection or some other underlying
        medical troubles...

        BEST,

        c.

        --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, nutter552

      • indyandsam@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
          Hi Nutter:
          If what you are having is a hyper-active nerve it's not dangerous so don't worry. Another thought I had was whether your bite may be off a bit which is pretty common after surgery. When I had my upper splint taken off at 8 weeks my molars didn't touch at all which drove me crazy, but my OS informed me that they would settle in to their new bite by themselves and they did. At 8 weeks post op your bone is completely healed so there really isn't a need for the "hardware" anymore. I asked my OS why people have all of the screws taken out and he said because some people don't like the idea of having any metal in their mouth. He said alot of people leave them in because they are made of titanium and so the body readily accepts them. The only reason I'm having the right side removed is because they have to remove the screw that is in my jaw that has the chain connected to it. It's in the same site as the other screws and because I have so much going on with the nerve on that
          side he suggested we just take it all out at the same appointment. I'm leaving the rest of them in on my left side as well as my chin plate and screws. I'm anticipating a little soreness for a few days because of the sutures but after what we've been through that's nothing right? Are you wearing a splint now? If not then just be careful when you are chewing harder things for awhile. You have to break in your new jaw to your new jaw position just like you would your engine in your new car. Let me know what your OS says when you see him but don't worry you'll be fine. Hope this helps a bit.
          Mary