Re: Time is near....

  • ifster00
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hey Mark!

      I'm having my surgery probably about two weeks after you and I am
      beyond nervous. I've had my braces since the summer and being a 19
      year old female, I get very self-conscience when I am talking to
      people. I have been having the same sleep problem as you. I can lay in
      bed for hours thinking about the surgery and it just makes me more
      nervous. I'm from Florida and am having my surgery in Miami. From what
      you said it seems that you are having your surgery in America as well.
      I'm having upper and lower jaw surgery, and then am having my chin
      moved forward to improve my profile. Are you having the same surgery?
      Anyway, write back soon! It would be great to be able to talk to
      someone going through the same thing.
      Jennifer
    • fran
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hi Mark,
        Hang in there! You have gone this far, and this site has helped me
        prepare mentally for surgery. I have seen many people go through
        their procedures, and each goes through a few days of difficulty,
        and then gets better. But the big point is, they get through it.
        And for me, I feel better finding out how to set up my recovery
        station for that first week post op. I want to try to make it as
        easy for myself as I possibly can. And I hope it keeps me busy
        actually setting the station up! lol The busier I will be, the
        less time I have to agitate preop! lol I think we each go through
        this.
        Hugs,
        Fran

        --- In
        orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "mark_hargreaves2003"
        <mark_hargreaves2003@...> wrote:

        > Hey people, yes the time is near, I have had my braces no for 9
        months
        > and i will be having my orthognathic surgery done in 1 month time.
        > must admit, when I started the treatment I thought I would be fine
        but
        > now..... I am worried, I have had several sleepless nights and
        getting
        > concerned.
        > I am a 19 male from South Africa and when reading the American
        ways of
        > doing things compared to South African, its worrying.
        > Apperently, they don't wire the jaw shut but use elastics on the
        > braces!!!
        > I go for my next appointment in 2 weeks to finalise everything so,
        > hope it goes okay.
        > Please note, I am a strong guy and can take alot of pain but I
        dont
        > know about this....

      • ANGELES_28
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
          Mark, don't worry they did not wire me shut either and I did not
          have to wear a splint I am actually using rubber bands but only on
          the right side, today I am 12 days post op so don't worry not all
          doctors wire you shut, mine told me that only if something went
          wrong during the surgery then I would have to be wired shut.
          Angie
          upper/lower/genio
          miami, fl

          --- In orthognathicsurgerysupport@yahoogroups.com, "fran"