Re: [orthodox-synod] Teaching history [was Re: Russian inventors [was:A change of topic, please!]

  • Joachim Wertz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
      I was told by a Serbian emigre who was a professor of mine in college,
      that when he was a prisoner of war in a German stalag, when they heard that
      Hitler invaded Russian in June 1922, the war was over. You just don't invade
      Russia by land that late in the year. The Russian winter gets them all the
      time.

      Joachim Wertz

      From: "Rebecca M" <rmatovic@...>
      Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:59:44 -0000
      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [orthodox-synod] Teaching history [was Re: Russian inventors [was:A
      change of topic, please!]

      Drifting further and further off-topic ... re: Fr. John's comment:

      > JRS: I went through U.S. grade school and high school, during
      which I
      > was always told that the United States had won W.W. II virtually
      single-
      > handed.

      This brought to mind that when I was in high school in the '70s, we
      were definitely introduced to some questioning of this. I can
      remember having to write an essay discussing the relative influence
      of the A-bombs versus the Soviet Union's entry into the pacific war
      in precipitating Japan's surrender. Actually, now that I think
      about it, this was in the context of an AP American history class
      that had us read various sources, with a heavy emphasis on primary
      sources, and then examine topics in the light of this. There was a
      lot of consideratuin (not necessarily acceptance) given to various
      revisionist ideas. In the regular world history survey class
      earlier in high school, the US triumphed alone. So, it either shows
      that things changed or things stayed the same in US classrooms from
      the the 60s into the 70s, depending on how you want to look at it.
      By the 70s the idea that the Soviet Union played a role was
      introduced, but as a radical idea.

      Of course, my Yugoslavian husband was taught that Soviet entry into
      the Pacific was the pivotal event, and the A-bombs just a
      contributing factor.

      Perhaps the lesson (struggling back to topic)is that probably none
      of the 'histories' we grow up with are entirely right and that when
      we find ourselves separated from others by widely divergent views of
      reality, we do well at least to try and understand what it is that
      the other sees/understands and be willing to question whether our
      own views are as objective and absolute as they feel.

      Rebecca

      > There was never any suggestion of the enormous role of Russia in
      the
      > war, let alone of the fact that Serbian resistance also helped
      defeat
      > Hitler.
      >
      > What they failed to realize was this -- that any thinking person
      would
      > then have asked *why* it was, that the triumphant USA left all of
      > Eastern Europe, and half of Germany, to a Soviet Union that had
      hardly
      > been involved in the war!
      >
      > In Christ
      > Fr. John R. Shaw

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Hristofor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2004
        Hristos se rodi!
        I am sure you meant 22 June 1941...
        By now the topic seems to have drifted off the list ;-)