Teaching history [was Re: Russian inventors [was:A change of topic, please!]

  • Rebecca M
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
      Drifting further and further off-topic ... re: Fr. John's comment:

      > JRS: I went through U.S. grade school and high school, during
      which I
      > was always told that the United States had won W.W. II virtually
      single-
      > handed.

      This brought to mind that when I was in high school in the '70s, we
      were definitely introduced to some questioning of this. I can
      remember having to write an essay discussing the relative influence
      of the A-bombs versus the Soviet Union's entry into the pacific war
      in precipitating Japan's surrender. Actually, now that I think
      about it, this was in the context of an AP American history class
      that had us read various sources, with a heavy emphasis on primary
      sources, and then examine topics in the light of this. There was a
      lot of consideratuin (not necessarily acceptance) given to various
      revisionist ideas. In the regular world history survey class
      earlier in high school, the US triumphed alone. So, it either shows
      that things changed or things stayed the same in US classrooms from
      the the 60s into the 70s, depending on how you want to look at it.
      By the 70s the idea that the Soviet Union played a role was
      introduced, but as a radical idea.

      Of course, my Yugoslavian husband was taught that Soviet entry into
      the Pacific was the pivotal event, and the A-bombs just a
      contributing factor.

      Perhaps the lesson (struggling back to topic)is that probably none
      of the 'histories' we grow up with are entirely right and that when
      we find ourselves separated from others by widely divergent views of
      reality, we do well at least to try and understand what it is that
      the other sees/understands and be willing to question whether our
      own views are as objective and absolute as they feel.

      Rebecca

      > There was never any suggestion of the enormous role of Russia in
      the
      > war, let alone of the fact that Serbian resistance also helped
      defeat
      > Hitler.
      >
      > What they failed to realize was this -- that any thinking person
      would
      > then have asked *why* it was, that the triumphant USA left all of
      > Eastern Europe, and half of Germany, to a Soviet Union that had
      hardly
      > been involved in the war!
      >
      > In Christ
      > Fr. John R. Shaw
    • Joachim Wertz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
        I was told by a Serbian emigre who was a professor of mine in college,
        that when he was a prisoner of war in a German stalag, when they heard that
        Hitler invaded Russian in June 1922, the war was over. You just don't invade
        Russia by land that late in the year. The Russian winter gets them all the
        time.

        Joachim Wertz

        From: "Rebecca M" <rmatovic@...>
        Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:59:44 -0000
        To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [orthodox-synod] Teaching history [was Re: Russian inventors [was:A
        change of topic, please!]

        Drifting further and further off-topic ... re: Fr. John's comment:

        > JRS: I went through U.S. grade school and high school, during
        which I
        > was always told that the United States had won W.W. II virtually
        single-
        > handed.

        This brought to mind that when I was in high school in the '70s, we
        were definitely introduced to some questioning of this. I can
        remember having to write an essay discussing the relative influence
        of the A-bombs versus the Soviet Union's entry into the pacific war
        in precipitating Japan's surrender. Actually, now that I think
        about it, this was in the context of an AP American history class
        that had us read various sources, with a heavy emphasis on primary
        sources, and then examine topics in the light of this. There was a
        lot of consideratuin (not necessarily acceptance) given to various
        revisionist ideas. In the regular world history survey class
        earlier in high school, the US triumphed alone. So, it either shows
        that things changed or things stayed the same in US classrooms from
        the the 60s into the 70s, depending on how you want to look at it.
        By the 70s the idea that the Soviet Union played a role was
        introduced, but as a radical idea.

        Of course, my Yugoslavian husband was taught that Soviet entry into
        the Pacific was the pivotal event, and the A-bombs just a
        contributing factor.

        Perhaps the lesson (struggling back to topic)is that probably none
        of the 'histories' we grow up with are entirely right and that when
        we find ourselves separated from others by widely divergent views of
        reality, we do well at least to try and understand what it is that
        the other sees/understands and be willing to question whether our
        own views are as objective and absolute as they feel.

        Rebecca

        > There was never any suggestion of the enormous role of Russia in
        the
        > war, let alone of the fact that Serbian resistance also helped
        defeat
        > Hitler.
        >
        > What they failed to realize was this -- that any thinking person
        would
        > then have asked *why* it was, that the triumphant USA left all of
        > Eastern Europe, and half of Germany, to a Soviet Union that had
        hardly
        > been involved in the war!
        >
        > In Christ
        > Fr. John R. Shaw

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Hristofor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2004
          Hristos se rodi!
          I am sure you meant 22 June 1941...
          By now the topic seems to have drifted off the list ;-)