Urgent appeal on behalf of the Haitian Orthodox Mission

  • Fr. Gregory Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      Greetings, dear brothers and sisters, in the coming Feast!

      Please, as you celebrate the Nativity of Our Lord, call to mind the needs of
      the poorest of your brethren, the faithful of the Orthodox missions in
      Haiti.

      Specifically, and urgently: During my December trip we were offered a
      parcel of ground eminently suitable for the badly needed permanent church
      facilities for the parish of St. Augustine, near Jacmel. The tract is
      located within a 5 minute walk of the present (rented, and far too small)
      meeting place, the Hotel Cyvadier, the beach, and -- most important --
      nearly all the parishioners' homes: no one has a car.

      Further, it is situated between the principal road through the region and
      the sea. A dreamed-for church building of some size and height will be
      visible both from the road and for miles at sea. Astoundingly, a (dead-end)
      paved road and power line are both in place alongside the property.

      The community has grown from one 16-year-old boy (now a university student)
      to 2 dozen baptized, and another 1-2 dozen regular participants, several of
      them catechumens, in less than four years. Readers' services are conducted
      Saturday evenings and Sundays, and often during the week as well. Fr.
      Grégoire Legouté is responsible for the parish, visiting monthly for Divine
      Liturgy.

      The urgency? Available land is very scarce in Haiti, and the market very
      "hot". We have until the end of January to raise the $20,000 for the
      property -- and for me to get back to Haiti with the money to conclude the
      transaction. We're well on the way, thanks to several generous donors, but
      there's a long way yet to go. Any "excess" (!) will be set aside for the
      first phases of construction on the property.

      Donations should be sent to:
      Haitian Orthodox Mission
      1180 Orthodox Way
      Liberty TN 37095

      Incidentally -- the Mission was established as an administrative unit of the
      Diocese of New York and Eastern America by Ukase 3/25/34, dated 31 May 1999;
      this ukase specifically authorizes fund-raising throughout the Church for
      the needs of the Mission.

      Please keep us all in your prayers!
    • Sandra Thompson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004