Re: Chekhov in the Evening

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2004
      Dear "Podnoss",

      I love Chekhov, maybe as much as you do. Chekhov used to say that it
      was impossible to be joyous in our world. In the emigration circles
      of the White army's survivors, as well as among those who now, in
      Russia, somehow survived morally and hence suffer bitterly from
      Russia's humiliation, destruction, spiritual and moral devastation,
      the judgement on the pre-Revolutionary "intelligentsia" is rather
      severe.

      They condemn the passivity, sadness, indecision, complacency, "états
      d'âme", in which those sentimental artists and writers dwelled. The
      country was drifting to the catastrophe and needed resolute action
      and faith while facing determined communist terrorists. This war
      against God and mankind is only continuing, in a much more vicious
      and subtle way however. The devil has just changed denomination and
      refined his tactics. He has become stronger. We have become weaker
      and lukewarm.

      I remember a description by Chekhov of a landscape with isbas, an
      willows under the moonlight, which Chekhov qualifies as "beautiful
      and sad" (not "beautiful but sad"), which is very Russian, close and
      familiar to my feelings. In his house in Yalta, a night landscape by
      Levitan with haystacks gives the same impression of beauty and
      sadness. Chekhov had an immense love for Russia and is thus so close
      to me in that sense. Moreover, how not being sad about Russia?

      I do not think however that Chekhov, with his hesitating faith in
      Christ and in the Church is what we need in our time of schisms and
      confusion. We need resolution and clarity. We need most of all an
      alert judgement, as well as an explicit and unambiguous faith in the
      Church and in Christ.

      This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah: "A voice of
      one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make
      straight paths for him.' "[ 3:3 Isaiah 40:3] Matthew 3:3

      We are indeed on a deserted island, we are calling in the desert, and
      we must make straight paths, I mean *straight* ones.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      " The calling of all mankind, says Chekhov through the artist of "
      the Small house with an attic ", is in spiritual activity, in the
      constant search for the truth and the meaning of life... only
      sciences, arts can religion can satisfy man... Sciences and arts,
      when they represent the truth, when they aspire not at worldly
      things, not at personal interests, but at the eternal and the
      universal, - they search the truth, the meaning of life, God, the
      soul ".

      The general content of Chekhov's work and himself can be summarised
      by these words. His work is devoted to what he saw as being the task
      of true science and art: to search for the truth, God, the soul, the
      meaning of life.

      SN Bulgakov , Chekhov as a thinker

      Very few valuable...writers of that time, reflected the Church life.
      Neither Leskov, nor Pisemsky and even less Chekhov were true and
      consistent mirrors of any church life in all of its completeness.
      They all a detached view of it. Chekhov called himself a non-
      believer, a non-orthodox.
      http://www.svet.orthodoxy.ru/2003/n23/s016.htm

      Merezhkovsky...says: " the Religion of mankind ", without God, the
      religion of mankind alone, always was and has been the unconscious
      religion of the Russian intelligentsia ". Chekhov and Gorky ... are
      the first conscious teachers and prophets of this religion...

      " We are the supreme beings, and if, we would really learn all the
      power of the human genius, we would be as gods ". (A.Chehov).

      The religious ideas the work of A.Chekhov, M.Gorky, L.Tolstoy and
      F.Dostoevsky's. (on the basis of D.S.Merezhkovsky's critiques).
      www.booksite.ru/fulltext/dos/toj/evs/kii/dostojevskii_f/sbor_stat/32.h
      tm

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:
      > What can we do? We must live our lives. Yes, we shall live... We
      > shall live through the long procession of days before us, and
      > through the long evenings; we shall patiently bear the trials that
      > fate imposes on us; we shall work for others without rest, both now
      > and when we are old; and when our last hour comes we shall meet it
      > humbly, and there, beyond the grave, we shall say that we have
      > suffered and wept, that our life was bitter, and God will have pity
      > on us. Ah, then we shall see that bright and beautiful life; we
      > shall rejoice and look back upon our sorrow here; a tender smile--
      > and--we shall rest. I have faith
    • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 4, 2004
        I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
        attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
        Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
        Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

        PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
        flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!

      • vkozyreff
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 4, 2004
          Dear Father Stefan, bless.

          Considering the many hot confrontations that have taken place on this
          forum, I think it is appropriate to glorify God whenever, as now, we
          agree with one another in defending the purity of orthodoxy against
          those who attack it, in this particular case, our fellow Russian, the
          brilliant Tarkovsky.

          I think that this is more than just a social discussion about cinema.
          I do not want to take any undue advantage from agreeing with you
          about a film, but I am sure that if we were to scrap a little more
          the surface, we would find much deeper agreement than many would
          expect between many of us that consider themselves as antagonists of
          one another. May God help us to dig in that direction.

          As you, I am proud about the Russian creativity and scientific
          achievements. From what I found however, the Russian invention of
          aerostation, which would have taken place, by the way, much later
          than in Rubliev's time, about 50 years before the Montgolfier
          experiment, might be a forgery, as seen below. The Russian inventor
          might have been a German in fact. If it is so (I do not claim to have
          a final opinion on the subject), let us disseminate the news, as
          nothing can serve Russia better than the truth. She is sufficiently
          glorious on her own. In aeronautics, she might have to content
          herself with her sputniks, Tsiolkovsky, Sikorsky, Joukovsky, and a
          few others.

          http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/Features/1stStrtgcBmbrSq.html

          Unfortunately, in sciences as in spirituality, Russians have reached
          historical records both in lying and in proclaiming the truth. The
          Lyssenko affair (see below) is about one of the mot shameful deceits
          by Soviet scientists.

          It looks as though Russia can be only the best or the worst of all
          nations. In spite of all, she is our beloved country. Let us pray God
          that he help her to become only true.

          In God,

          Vladimir Kozyreff

          -----

          Aerostation

          In 1956 the book "Documents on the history of aeronautics and
          aircraft in the USSR " was published. In the chapter
          entitled "Aeronautics and aircraft in Russia until 1907", the story
          of Kryakutnoy, who allegedly first-ever travelled in a balloon is
          reported. This is given as the proof that the Russian were first in
          the field of aeronautics.

          Incidentally, the process that created this nonexistent character is
          well-known to the experts. As D.S. Likhachov reports, in the
          chronicle's text "in 1731 in Ryazan under voyevod "podyachy"
          nyeretkhtiets Kryakutnoy Furvin made a big balloon, inflated it with
          a nasty and smelly smoke", it could be established by photographic
          researches, that the word "nierekhtiets" is written on top of the
          word "niemiets" (German), and the surname "Kryakutnoy" covers the
          word "kreschenoy", as if to the surname "Furvin" a correction was
          made to the initial "Furtsel". Despite the protests by experts,
          Kryakutnoy continued his triumphal procession in the pages of the
          scientific and popular scientific literature until the last decade of
          the XXst century.

          Historical stories and mythology of the XXst century, Yury Shatin,
          The Novosibirsk state pedagogical university, Criticism and
          semiotics. May, 2002. pp. 100-108

          http://www.nsu.ru/education/virtual/cs5shatin.htm

          See also:

          http://www.utro.ru/column/2001082303201331381.shtml

          -----

          Scientific forgery in general, and Lyssenko specifically

          However, ideologies are not in themselves passive inert forms of
          consciousness but are part and parcel of practical and symbolic
          activities ; they federate interests, galvanize passions, permeate
          institutions and sometimes become official through State action.
          Consequently, their reaction to scientific news is often biased and
          is aimed at either confirming or refuting it. In extreme cases, as
          history has often shown, ideologies turn some items of information
          into dogma and declare war on others.

          The Lyssenko case is still the classic example of this. As, in the
          USSR of the middle of this century, " Mendel-Morgan genetics" were
          considered incompatible with Party and State philosophy, they were
          totally censored for nearly twenty years, with disastrous
          consequences in many fields....

          Ideologies thus emerge as very powerful selective distorting factors
          in the transmission of scientific news, the more so as they bias the
          judgement, not only of the public but also of journalists, and even
          in large measure that of many scientists...

          http://www.ccne-ethique.fr/english/avis/a_045p02.htm

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko"

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
            My understanding was that the first lighter than air flight (Balloon)
            took place in Russia during the reign of Ivan Grosni. My brother
            always claimed that the story in detail may have been a bit distorted
            but that there was a kernel of truth to the main point.

            What is the foundation, if any for such an account?

            I remember that in school (here in the States) when any inventions
            were discussed, no Russian inventors were ever credited properly for
            their contribution to the invention or development of any innovations.

            So I was sure that the Balloon flight was also an oversight as the others.

          • Fr. Gregory Williams
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
              There's an old joke which says that the most famous inventor in the Soviet
              Union was a fellow named Reguspatoff.
            • Gerald Herrin
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                Blasphemy is a very serious charge against any artist or movie. I don't
                think the film "Andrei Rublev" was an attempt to "prove" anything, but
                if it were such, then perhaps we should see the main character of the
                movie as being not Rublev (who, after all, historically we know almost
                nothing about) but rather the character Boriska who makes the bell for
                the Grand Duke.) Like the balloonist who first flies, then falls to his
                death, Boriska reaches out to create, dominating others by sheer drive
                of artistic exuberance. The film is not a biography of the saint. It is
                also not an "historical" film except in the sense that Tarkovsky wanted
                authenticity in set design, clothing (but he wanted very much for it
                not to be a "museum" piece). Tarkovsky did not want to create a movie
                to "prove" or "demonstrate" anything. He wanted a film to show life.
                Tarkovsky believed that without faith, no artist could create anything
                of worth. He believed that almost all the "entertainments" done in
                Hollywood were deeply wrong, distorted. The movie Rublev is a movie
                about the artist who attempts to create, who suffers, who struggles.
                Rublev is tempted, sins, repents, and it is only after repenting
                through suffering that he becomes the man who could draw the icon of
                the Holy Trinity. "For Tarkovsky Roublev is the first true Russian
                artist and his "Trinity" the first original Russian work of art, born
                of the hopes, struggles, and suffering of the times." page 89, The
                Films of Andrei Tarkovsky:A Visual Fugue" by Vida Johnson and Graham
                Petrie, Indiana University Press, 1994.
                If I believed that the movie was truly blasphemous, I would never watch
                it, nor would I ever encourage others to do so.
                Forgive me if I offend in any way for I do not intend to do so.

                Isaac (Gerald) Herrin

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                  I also meant no offence to anyone personally. So please forgive me is
                  my choice of words was to strong. A Joyous and Grace filled Nativity
                  feast to all!

                  <geraldherrin@e...> wrote:
                  > Blasphemy is a very serious charge against any artist or movie. I don't
                  > think the film "Andrei Rublev" was an attempt to "prove" anything, but
                  > if it were such, then perhaps we should see the main character of the
                  > movie as being not Rublev (who, after all, historically we know almost
                  > nothing about) but rather the character Boriska who makes the bell for
                  > the Grand Duke.) Like the balloonist who first flies, then falls to his
                  > death, Boriska reaches out to create, dominating others by sheer drive
                  > of artistic exuberance. The film is not a biography of the saint. It is
                  > also not an "historical" film except in the sense that Tarkovsky wanted
                  > authenticity in set design, clothing (but he wanted very much for it
                  > not to be a "museum" piece). Tarkovsky did not want to create a movie
                  > to "prove" or "demonstrate" anything. He wanted a film to show life.
                  > Tarkovsky believed that without faith, no artist could create anything
                  > of worth. He believed that almost all the "entertainments" done in
                  > Hollywood were deeply wrong, distorted. The movie Rublev is a movie
                  > about the artist who attempts to create, who suffers, who struggles.
                  > Rublev is tempted, sins, repents, and it is only after repenting
                  > through suffering that he becomes the man who could draw the icon of
                  > the Holy Trinity. "For Tarkovsky Roublev is the first true Russian
                  > artist and his "Trinity" the first original Russian work of art, born
                  > of the hopes, struggles, and suffering of the times." page 89, The
                  > Films of Andrei Tarkovsky:A Visual Fugue" by Vida Johnson and Graham
                  > Petrie, Indiana University Press, 1994.
                  > If I believed that the movie was truly blasphemous, I would never watch
                  > it, nor would I ever encourage others to do so.
                  > Forgive me if I offend in any way for I do not intend to do so.
                  >
                  > Isaac (Gerald) Herrin
                  >

                  > On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 03:18 AM, Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
                  > > attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
                  > > Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
                  > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                  > >
                  > > PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
                  > > flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!
                  > Gerald Herrin
                  > geraldherrin@e...
                • podnoss
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                    So much has been conveniently forgotten about the events from
                    February '17 to July '18.

                    On February 26, 1917 there were about 300 000 people on the streets
                    of Petrograd calling for the downfall of the Tsar. Repression was
                    impossible. All the Tsar's senior generals had told him this and - on
                    the advice of M. Rodzianko the Speaker of the Duma - convinced him to
                    abdicate.

                    The 250 000 soldiers of the Petrograd garrison had gone over to the
                    people's side on February 27, forcing the police in the capital to
                    flee. People called for the Tsar and the Empress to be shot. "And
                    they shouldn't spare the daughters" was a popular refrain. No armed
                    force could have put down what became a national uprising against the
                    monarchy. Perhaps someone such as yourself could've stepped forward
                    and warned the people that it was a sin to rise up against the Tsar.
                    If they failed to listen, what then?

                    <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:

                    > They condemn the passivity, sadness, indecision,
                    complacency, "états
                    > d'âme", in which those sentimental artists and writers dwelled. The
                    > country was drifting to the catastrophe and needed resolute action
                    > and faith while facing determined communist terrorists
                  • Igumeniya Iulianiya
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Subject: Nativity Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:45:08 -0500 A Nativity Reflection

                      In 1994, two Americans answered an invitation from the Russian Department of Education to teach morals and ethics (based on biblical principles) in the public schools. They were invited to teach at prisons, businesses, the fire and police departments, and a large orphanage. About 100 boys and girls who had been abandoned, abused, and left in the care of a government-run program were in the orphanage. They relate the following story in their own words. It was nearing the holiday season, 1994, time for our orphans to hear, for the first time, the traditional story of Christmas. We told them about Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem. Finding no room in the inn, the couple went to a stable, where the baby Jesus was born and placed in a manger. Throughout the story, the children and orphanage staff sat in amazement as they listened. Some sat on the edges of their stools, trying to grasp every word. Completing the story, we gave the children three small pieces of cardboard to make a
                      crude manger. Each child was given a small paper square, cut from yellow napkins I had brought with me. No colored paper was available in the city. Following instructions, the children tore the paper and carefully laid strips in the manger for straw. Small squares of flannel, cut from a worn-out nightgown an American lady was throwing away as she left Russia, were used for the baby's blanket. A doll-like baby was cut from tan felt we had brought from the United States. The orphans were busy assembling their manger as I walked among them to see if they needed any help. All went well until I got to one table where little Misha sat. He looked to be about 6 years old and had finished his project. As I looked at the little boy's manger, was startled to see not one, but two babies in the manger. Quickly, I called for the translator to ask the lad why there were two babies in the manger. Crossing his arms in front of him and looking at this completed manger scene, the child began to repeat
                      the story very seriously. For such a young boy, who had only heard the Christmas story once, he related the happenings accurately - until he came to the part where Mary put the baby Jesus in the manger. Then Misha started to ad-lib. He made up his own ending to the story as he said, "And when Maria laid the baby in the manger, Jesus looked at me and asked me if I had a place to stay. I told him I have no mamma and I have no papa, so I don't have any place to stay. Then Jesus told me I could stay with him. But I told him I couldn't, because I didn't have a gift to give him like everybody else did. But I wanted to stay with Jesus so much, so I thought about what I had that maybe I could use for a gift. I thought maybe if I kept him warm, that would be a good gift. "So I asked Jesus, 'If I keep you warm, will that be a good enough gift?' And Jesus told me, 'If you keep me warm, that will be the best gift anybody ever gave me.' "So I got into the manger, and then Jesus looked at me and
                      He told me I could stay with him - for always." As little Misha finished his story, his eyes brimmed full of tears that splashed down his cheeks. Putting his hand over his face, his head dropped to the table, and his shoulders shook as he sobbed and sobbed. The little orphan had found someone who would never abandon nor abuse him, someone who would stay with him, as he said - FOR ALWAYS. Like Misha, I have learned that it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that really counts. "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." In Him Who calls us, + Father Archimandrite Gregory

                      Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...> wrote:My understanding was that the first lighter than air flight (Balloon)

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Fr Michael Protopopov
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                        Every blessing to you and your family Father, for the Nativity and
                        Theophany.
                        Fr Michael

                        <geraldherrin@e...> wrote:
                        > Blasphemy is a very serious charge against any artist or movie. I don't
                        > think the film "Andrei Rublev" was an attempt to "prove" anything, but
                        > if it were such, then perhaps we should see the main character of the
                        > movie as being not Rublev (who, after all, historically we know almost
                        > nothing about) but rather the character Boriska who makes the bell for
                        > the Grand Duke.) Like the balloonist who first flies, then falls to his
                        > death, Boriska reaches out to create, dominating others by sheer drive
                        > of artistic exuberance. The film is not a biography of the saint. It is
                        > also not an "historical" film except in the sense that Tarkovsky wanted
                        > authenticity in set design, clothing (but he wanted very much for it
                        > not to be a "museum" piece). Tarkovsky did not want to create a movie
                        > to "prove" or "demonstrate" anything. He wanted a film to show life.
                        > Tarkovsky believed that without faith, no artist could create anything
                        > of worth. He believed that almost all the "entertainments" done in
                        > Hollywood were deeply wrong, distorted. The movie Rublev is a movie
                        > about the artist who attempts to create, who suffers, who struggles.
                        > Rublev is tempted, sins, repents, and it is only after repenting
                        > through suffering that he becomes the man who could draw the icon of
                        > the Holy Trinity. "For Tarkovsky Roublev is the first true Russian
                        > artist and his "Trinity" the first original Russian work of art, born
                        > of the hopes, struggles, and suffering of the times." page 89, The
                        > Films of Andrei Tarkovsky:A Visual Fugue" by Vida Johnson and Graham
                        > Petrie, Indiana University Press, 1994.
                        > If I believed that the movie was truly blasphemous, I would never watch
                        > it, nor would I ever encourage others to do so.
                        > Forgive me if I offend in any way for I do not intend to do so.
                        >
                        > Isaac (Gerald) Herrin
                        >

                        > On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 03:18 AM, Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
                        > > attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
                        > > Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
                        > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                        > >
                        > > PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
                        > > flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!
                        > Gerald Herrin
                        > geraldherrin@e...

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • vkozyreff
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 6, 2004
                          Dear "Podnoss",

                          This was the result of a long evolution and unwarranted tolerance
                          that had lasted for a long time.

                          The White army however took up arms and started a war, 1 against 25.
                          Many gave their life, they almost won, were finally defeated, and
                          saved Russia's honour. They acquired a certain right to speak about
                          those who had let it happen.

                          Indeed, the situation in the streets was terrible. For a lively,
                          American-sided and first account of what really happened, see below.

                          In God,

                          Vladimir Kozyreff

                          …Senator Nelson: can you tell to us how it has taken place?

                          Simons: It is a long history. To represent how it happened, hours are
                          needed.

                          …Senator Nelson: Please depict this for us.

                          Simons: I can tell only that in the air the most devil terrorism
                          ripened. <...> I dressed as a Russian worker, put on a Russian shirt
                          which hangs down almost up to knees, put on a felt hat with wide
                          lowered sides and nickel spectacles so my sister said that I looked
                          as a Bolshevik.

                          I went to the street, among these people and listened to their
                          conversations. I went to the barracks. I wanted to collect as much
                          data as possible, for I was going to write a book. I felt that
                          history was being written, I trusted Russia, I loved Russia, but I
                          did not trust at all this ongoing business, and I wanted to look,
                          what it would do to Russia in which I was going to live.

                          I tried to collect first-hand information among common people. These
                          propagandists appeared and spoke both about Lenin and Trotsky, and in
                          the crowd, people would say: "It is true, completely true. "And then,
                          after those propagandists had left in a lorry, there came another
                          lorry with other propagandists…

                          United States Congress/Senate. Judiciary Committee. «The Bolshevik
                          propaganda. Hearings before a subcommittee of the committee on the
                          judiciary. United States Senate. Sixty-fifth congress. Third session
                          and thereafter pursuant to S. Res. 439 and 469. February 11, 1919 to
                          March 10, 1919», Washington, Government Printing Office, 1919; U.S.
                          Supt. of Docs. No. Y 4.J 89/2:B 63/40

                          http://www.rus-sky.org/history/library/overman.htm

                          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:
                          > So much has been conveniently forgotten about the events from
                          > February '17 to July '18.
                          >
                          > On February 26, 1917 there were about 300 000 people on the streets
                          > of Petrograd calling for the downfall of the Tsar. Repression was
                          > impossible. All the Tsar's senior generals had told him this and -
                          on
                          > the advice of M. Rodzianko the Speaker of the Duma - convinced him
                          > abdicate.
                          >
                          > The 250 000 soldiers of the Petrograd garrison had gone over to the
                          > people's side on February 27, forcing the police in the capital to
                          > flee. People called for the Tsar and the Empress to be shot. "And
                          > they shouldn't spare the daughters" was a popular refrain. No armed
                          > force could have put down what became a national uprising against
                          the
                          > monarchy. Perhaps someone such as yourself could've stepped forward
                          > and warned the people that it was a sin to rise up against the Tsar.
                          > If they failed to listen, what then?
                          >

                          > -- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff"
                          > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > They condemn the passivity, sadness, indecision,
                          > complacency, "états
                          > > d'âme", in which those sentimental artists and writers dwelled.
                          The
                          > > country was drifting to the catastrophe and needed resolute
                          action
                          > > and faith while facing determined communist terrorists
                        • michael nikitin
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 6, 2004
                            Those that called for the Czar to be shot were
                            Communists who were enciting the people.

                            Because the war caused much hardship on the people
                            some did want a change, but the change was mostly
                            from the upper class(Kerensky, etc..) and the different
                            political powers such as the Communists, Mensheviks, etc...
                            who wanted power.

                            Most of the common people loved the Czar. The Serfs
                            received their freedom and were glad for it. The landowners
                            didn't particularly like the Czar.

                            Much of the demonstrations were prooganda in nature and
                            were purposely done in view of the Czars travelling route.
                            This was done to discourage the Czar and facilitate his
                            abdication which the likes of M. Rodzianko and Co. did well.

                            Unfortunately the Communists, with the help of bankers from
                            New York and England, had a different agenda. The rest is history.

                            Michael N.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 9, 2004
                              Dear List,

                              Regarding Chekhov's society, "The ideologies promoted by the Russian
                              intelligentsia tended to be socially radical, democratic, and
                              cosmopolitan, although they might have a concealed elitist,
                              authoritarian, or nationalist streak". (Presniakov)

                              "These theories, derived from the advanced thought of contemporary
                              Europe, often bore little relevance to the immediate problems
                              confronting Russian society, but this seldom detracted from their
                              appeal. Intellectuals were acknowledged to be their mentors by nearly
                              all educated Russians, that is, by everyone not closely identified
                              with the autocratic regime…Russian socialism was therefore a product
                              of the intelligentsia" (Pares, Bernard. A History of Russia. New
                              York: Alfred A. Knopf Inc, 1926, third edition revised. Pares)

                              Before the First World War the intelligentsia's dominance began to
                              wane, and they were discriminated against in the early days of the
                              revolution and during the Stalinist period. However, during later
                              communism, they were worshipped…

                              http://econc10.bu.edu/economic_systems/NatIdentity/FSU/Russia/Westerni
                              zation.html

                              In support of what Michael writes, I would like to remind that
                              the "Russian Revolution" was not really Russian and was a war
                              declared on the Russian people. As many revolutions, it depended on
                              an external (diaspora) financing.

                              Below, see a reference about the causes of revolutions/civil wars in
                              general, and another on Russian revolution specifically.

                              In God,

                              Vladimir Kozyreff

                              -----
                              1. Greed and grievances

                              ...Rebellion may be explained by atypically severe grievances, such
                              as high inequality, a lack of political rights, or ethnic and
                              religious divisions in society. Alternatively, it might be explained
                              by atypical opportunities for building a rebel organization.
                              Opportunity may be determined by access to finance, such as the scope
                              for extortion of natural resources, and for donations from a diaspora
                              population.

                              Opportunity may also depend upon factors such as geography: mountains
                              and forests may be needed to incubate rebellion. We test these
                              explanations and find that opportunity provides considerably more
                              explanatory power than grievance. Economic viability appears to be
                              the predominant systematic explanation of rebellion.

                              The results are robust to correction for outliers, alternative
                              variable definition, and variations in estimation method. Greed and
                              Grievance in Civil War by Paul Collier and Anke Hoeffler

                              http://www.worldbank.org/research/conflict/papers/greedandgrievance.ht

                              -----
                              2. The Russian revolution in particular did not originate from the
                              Russian people

                              "The biggest fallacy concerning the Bolshevik Revolution is that it
                              originated from the people ... from the poor huddled masses. In
                              reality, it was financed by: a) England's Lord Alfred Milner, b) Wall
                              Street bankers such as J. P. Morgan & company and the Rockefeller
                              Family c) Europe's Rothschild dynasty, and d) German bankers such as
                              Max Warburg, whose brother Paul was the key man in setting up
                              America's Federal Reserve System.

                              ...Money for the Bolshevik Revolution came from superrich Western
                              financiers, some of whom were Americans! In essence, then, the very
                              core of Communism was a partnership between monopoly-oriented
                              Capitalists and the international Socialist movement".

                              http://pub64.ezboard.com/frespectforthetencommandmentsfrm9.showMessage
                              ?topicID=1.topic

                            • Olga
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 28, 2004
                                hello all!

                                Way back in December, I asked for input on favourite Orthodox "desert
                                island" reading, and I would like to say a huge thank you to Father
                                Victor for recommending the book "Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest,
                                Prisoner, Spiritual Father" and for those of you who are interested,
                                the publisher is St. Vladimir's Seminary Press.

                                It took me awhile to get around to finding it, ordering it, and then
                                reading it, but all I can say is 'wow!'. I was sorry when I got to
                                the end of the book. So bittersweet, so moving, so inspirational!

                                It is not my intention to start any arguments here!! But my knowledge
                                of the Soviet church from the 30's to the 70's is obviously very
                                limited, which I realized after reading this book. Some of the
                                believers described in this book were persecuted, they preferred not
                                to attend the "open" church, and I don't think they were part of the
                                catacomb church, which raises a question for me - which church might
                                have they been a part of? This is just for my own personal
                                information.

                                And again no arguments please!!!

                                In Christ,
                                Olga