Re: maximum list

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 1, 2004
      Dera List,

      It is odd to put Chekhov and Dostoyevsky in the came class. Chekhov's
      pessimism is viewed by many in Russia as the illness of society that
      paved the way to communism and atheism. In that sense, he is very
      Russian, but very sick and very little orthodox. According to a very
      unorthodox writer, Berdyaev, the Church is responsible. Alkexis II
      thinks so too, apparently.

      For those who struggled for their faith in the USSR, Chekhov was not
      really supportive. Since the battle is not over, I would not
      recommend Chekhov's works about senseless life as an item for the
      survival library.

      "Reflecting on the causes of the collapse of old Russia, we realise
      that the entire Russian Church bears the burden of responsibility for
      what happened to our beloved country and our people who proved to
      have had insufficient immunity against the pernicious false
      teachings..." (Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia: An Appeal
      to Metropolitan Laurus and the Bishops' Council of the Russian
      Orthodox Church Outside of Russia).

      "Despite its pessimism Anton Chekhov's (1860-1904) work conveys man's
      capacity to love his neighbor. Although he sees life as senseless, he
      also recognizes in man the capacity to strive for perfection and the
      ability for self renunciation. Unfortunately, part of the blame for
      the senselessness which Chekhov and more radical writers saw in life
      must fall on the Russian Church. As Berdyaev observed, the Church
      often "relegated spiritual life to another and transcendent world and
      created a religion for the soul that was homesick for the spiritual
      life it had lost." Confusion in the proclamation of the church's
      message brought confusion to the spiritual content of literature".
      http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7111.asp

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:

      > Well, I'll give you my opinion.
      >
      > Anything by Dostoyevsky or Chekhov. Specifically Chekhov's "The
      > Bishop" & Dostoyevsky's "Crime & Punishment".
      >

      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Griffing" <jmg@j...>
      > wrote:
      > > In no particular order:
      > >
      > > The Psalter
      > > The Old Orthodox Prayerbook
      > > The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
      > > Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ (if for no other reason than to
      > remember my patron)
      > > The Northern Thebaid
      > > The Serbian Patericon
      > > Lives of the Monastery Builders of Holy Mt. Athos
      > > Ladder of Divine Ascent
      > > Way of the Ascetics
      > > Unseen Warfare
      > >
      > > In Christ,
      > > Justin

      Russian,
      > > would love to hear about everyone's favorites!
      > >
      > > In Christ,
      > > Olga

      > of Service.

    • podnoss
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 1, 2004
        What can we do? We must live our lives. Yes, we shall live... We
        shall live through the long procession of days before us, and
        through the long evenings; we shall patiently bear the trials that
        fate imposes on us; we shall work for others without rest, both now
        and when we are old; and when our last hour comes we shall meet it
        humbly, and there, beyond the grave, we shall say that we have
        suffered and wept, that our life was bitter, and God will have pity
        on us. Ah, then we shall see that bright and beautiful life; we
        shall rejoice and look back upon our sorrow here; a tender smile--
        and--we shall rest. I have faith
      • vkozyreff
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2004
          Dear "Podnoss",

          I love Chekhov, maybe as much as you do. Chekhov used to say that it
          was impossible to be joyous in our world. In the emigration circles
          of the White army's survivors, as well as among those who now, in
          Russia, somehow survived morally and hence suffer bitterly from
          Russia's humiliation, destruction, spiritual and moral devastation,
          the judgement on the pre-Revolutionary "intelligentsia" is rather
          severe.

          They condemn the passivity, sadness, indecision, complacency, "états
          d'âme", in which those sentimental artists and writers dwelled. The
          country was drifting to the catastrophe and needed resolute action
          and faith while facing determined communist terrorists. This war
          against God and mankind is only continuing, in a much more vicious
          and subtle way however. The devil has just changed denomination and
          refined his tactics. He has become stronger. We have become weaker
          and lukewarm.

          I remember a description by Chekhov of a landscape with isbas, an
          willows under the moonlight, which Chekhov qualifies as "beautiful
          and sad" (not "beautiful but sad"), which is very Russian, close and
          familiar to my feelings. In his house in Yalta, a night landscape by
          Levitan with haystacks gives the same impression of beauty and
          sadness. Chekhov had an immense love for Russia and is thus so close
          to me in that sense. Moreover, how not being sad about Russia?

          I do not think however that Chekhov, with his hesitating faith in
          Christ and in the Church is what we need in our time of schisms and
          confusion. We need resolution and clarity. We need most of all an
          alert judgement, as well as an explicit and unambiguous faith in the
          Church and in Christ.

          This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah: "A voice of
          one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make
          straight paths for him.' "[ 3:3 Isaiah 40:3] Matthew 3:3

          We are indeed on a deserted island, we are calling in the desert, and
          we must make straight paths, I mean *straight* ones.

          In God,

          Vladimir Kozyreff

          " The calling of all mankind, says Chekhov through the artist of "
          the Small house with an attic ", is in spiritual activity, in the
          constant search for the truth and the meaning of life... only
          sciences, arts can religion can satisfy man... Sciences and arts,
          when they represent the truth, when they aspire not at worldly
          things, not at personal interests, but at the eternal and the
          universal, - they search the truth, the meaning of life, God, the
          soul ".

          The general content of Chekhov's work and himself can be summarised
          by these words. His work is devoted to what he saw as being the task
          of true science and art: to search for the truth, God, the soul, the
          meaning of life.

          SN Bulgakov , Chekhov as a thinker

          Very few valuable...writers of that time, reflected the Church life.
          Neither Leskov, nor Pisemsky and even less Chekhov were true and
          consistent mirrors of any church life in all of its completeness.
          They all a detached view of it. Chekhov called himself a non-
          believer, a non-orthodox.
          http://www.svet.orthodoxy.ru/2003/n23/s016.htm

          Merezhkovsky...says: " the Religion of mankind ", without God, the
          religion of mankind alone, always was and has been the unconscious
          religion of the Russian intelligentsia ". Chekhov and Gorky ... are
          the first conscious teachers and prophets of this religion...

          " We are the supreme beings, and if, we would really learn all the
          power of the human genius, we would be as gods ". (A.Chehov).

          The religious ideas the work of A.Chekhov, M.Gorky, L.Tolstoy and
          F.Dostoevsky's. (on the basis of D.S.Merezhkovsky's critiques).
          www.booksite.ru/fulltext/dos/toj/evs/kii/dostojevskii_f/sbor_stat/32.h
          tm

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:
          > What can we do? We must live our lives. Yes, we shall live... We
          > shall live through the long procession of days before us, and
          > through the long evenings; we shall patiently bear the trials that
          > fate imposes on us; we shall work for others without rest, both now
          > and when we are old; and when our last hour comes we shall meet it
          > humbly, and there, beyond the grave, we shall say that we have
          > suffered and wept, that our life was bitter, and God will have pity
          > on us. Ah, then we shall see that bright and beautiful life; we
          > shall rejoice and look back upon our sorrow here; a tender smile--
          > and--we shall rest. I have faith
        • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 4, 2004
            ABBA DOROTHEI !!!

            Any of the books of Saint John of Kronstadt.

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 4, 2004
              I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
              attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
              Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
              Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

              PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
              flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!

            • vkozyreff
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 4, 2004
                Dear Father Stefan, bless.

                Considering the many hot confrontations that have taken place on this
                forum, I think it is appropriate to glorify God whenever, as now, we
                agree with one another in defending the purity of orthodoxy against
                those who attack it, in this particular case, our fellow Russian, the
                brilliant Tarkovsky.

                I think that this is more than just a social discussion about cinema.
                I do not want to take any undue advantage from agreeing with you
                about a film, but I am sure that if we were to scrap a little more
                the surface, we would find much deeper agreement than many would
                expect between many of us that consider themselves as antagonists of
                one another. May God help us to dig in that direction.

                As you, I am proud about the Russian creativity and scientific
                achievements. From what I found however, the Russian invention of
                aerostation, which would have taken place, by the way, much later
                than in Rubliev's time, about 50 years before the Montgolfier
                experiment, might be a forgery, as seen below. The Russian inventor
                might have been a German in fact. If it is so (I do not claim to have
                a final opinion on the subject), let us disseminate the news, as
                nothing can serve Russia better than the truth. She is sufficiently
                glorious on her own. In aeronautics, she might have to content
                herself with her sputniks, Tsiolkovsky, Sikorsky, Joukovsky, and a
                few others.

                http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/Features/1stStrtgcBmbrSq.html

                Unfortunately, in sciences as in spirituality, Russians have reached
                historical records both in lying and in proclaiming the truth. The
                Lyssenko affair (see below) is about one of the mot shameful deceits
                by Soviet scientists.

                It looks as though Russia can be only the best or the worst of all
                nations. In spite of all, she is our beloved country. Let us pray God
                that he help her to become only true.

                In God,

                Vladimir Kozyreff

                -----

                Aerostation

                In 1956 the book "Documents on the history of aeronautics and
                aircraft in the USSR " was published. In the chapter
                entitled "Aeronautics and aircraft in Russia until 1907", the story
                of Kryakutnoy, who allegedly first-ever travelled in a balloon is
                reported. This is given as the proof that the Russian were first in
                the field of aeronautics.

                Incidentally, the process that created this nonexistent character is
                well-known to the experts. As D.S. Likhachov reports, in the
                chronicle's text "in 1731 in Ryazan under voyevod "podyachy"
                nyeretkhtiets Kryakutnoy Furvin made a big balloon, inflated it with
                a nasty and smelly smoke", it could be established by photographic
                researches, that the word "nierekhtiets" is written on top of the
                word "niemiets" (German), and the surname "Kryakutnoy" covers the
                word "kreschenoy", as if to the surname "Furvin" a correction was
                made to the initial "Furtsel". Despite the protests by experts,
                Kryakutnoy continued his triumphal procession in the pages of the
                scientific and popular scientific literature until the last decade of
                the XXst century.

                Historical stories and mythology of the XXst century, Yury Shatin,
                The Novosibirsk state pedagogical university, Criticism and
                semiotics. May, 2002. pp. 100-108

                http://www.nsu.ru/education/virtual/cs5shatin.htm

                See also:

                http://www.utro.ru/column/2001082303201331381.shtml

                -----

                Scientific forgery in general, and Lyssenko specifically

                However, ideologies are not in themselves passive inert forms of
                consciousness but are part and parcel of practical and symbolic
                activities ; they federate interests, galvanize passions, permeate
                institutions and sometimes become official through State action.
                Consequently, their reaction to scientific news is often biased and
                is aimed at either confirming or refuting it. In extreme cases, as
                history has often shown, ideologies turn some items of information
                into dogma and declare war on others.

                The Lyssenko case is still the classic example of this. As, in the
                USSR of the middle of this century, " Mendel-Morgan genetics" were
                considered incompatible with Party and State philosophy, they were
                totally censored for nearly twenty years, with disastrous
                consequences in many fields....

                Ideologies thus emerge as very powerful selective distorting factors
                in the transmission of scientific news, the more so as they bias the
                judgement, not only of the public but also of journalists, and even
                in large measure that of many scientists...

                http://www.ccne-ethique.fr/english/avis/a_045p02.htm

                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko"

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                  My understanding was that the first lighter than air flight (Balloon)
                  took place in Russia during the reign of Ivan Grosni. My brother
                  always claimed that the story in detail may have been a bit distorted
                  but that there was a kernel of truth to the main point.

                  What is the foundation, if any for such an account?

                  I remember that in school (here in the States) when any inventions
                  were discussed, no Russian inventors were ever credited properly for
                  their contribution to the invention or development of any innovations.

                  So I was sure that the Balloon flight was also an oversight as the others.

                • Fr. Gregory Williams
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                    There's an old joke which says that the most famous inventor in the Soviet
                    Union was a fellow named Reguspatoff.
                  • Gerald Herrin
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Blasphemy is a very serious charge against any artist or movie. I don't
                      think the film "Andrei Rublev" was an attempt to "prove" anything, but
                      if it were such, then perhaps we should see the main character of the
                      movie as being not Rublev (who, after all, historically we know almost
                      nothing about) but rather the character Boriska who makes the bell for
                      the Grand Duke.) Like the balloonist who first flies, then falls to his
                      death, Boriska reaches out to create, dominating others by sheer drive
                      of artistic exuberance. The film is not a biography of the saint. It is
                      also not an "historical" film except in the sense that Tarkovsky wanted
                      authenticity in set design, clothing (but he wanted very much for it
                      not to be a "museum" piece). Tarkovsky did not want to create a movie
                      to "prove" or "demonstrate" anything. He wanted a film to show life.
                      Tarkovsky believed that without faith, no artist could create anything
                      of worth. He believed that almost all the "entertainments" done in
                      Hollywood were deeply wrong, distorted. The movie Rublev is a movie
                      about the artist who attempts to create, who suffers, who struggles.
                      Rublev is tempted, sins, repents, and it is only after repenting
                      through suffering that he becomes the man who could draw the icon of
                      the Holy Trinity. "For Tarkovsky Roublev is the first true Russian
                      artist and his "Trinity" the first original Russian work of art, born
                      of the hopes, struggles, and suffering of the times." page 89, The
                      Films of Andrei Tarkovsky:A Visual Fugue" by Vida Johnson and Graham
                      Petrie, Indiana University Press, 1994.
                      If I believed that the movie was truly blasphemous, I would never watch
                      it, nor would I ever encourage others to do so.
                      Forgive me if I offend in any way for I do not intend to do so.

                      Isaac (Gerald) Herrin

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                        I also meant no offence to anyone personally. So please forgive me is
                        my choice of words was to strong. A Joyous and Grace filled Nativity
                        feast to all!

                        <geraldherrin@e...> wrote:
                        > Blasphemy is a very serious charge against any artist or movie. I don't
                        > think the film "Andrei Rublev" was an attempt to "prove" anything, but
                        > if it were such, then perhaps we should see the main character of the
                        > movie as being not Rublev (who, after all, historically we know almost
                        > nothing about) but rather the character Boriska who makes the bell for
                        > the Grand Duke.) Like the balloonist who first flies, then falls to his
                        > death, Boriska reaches out to create, dominating others by sheer drive
                        > of artistic exuberance. The film is not a biography of the saint. It is
                        > also not an "historical" film except in the sense that Tarkovsky wanted
                        > authenticity in set design, clothing (but he wanted very much for it
                        > not to be a "museum" piece). Tarkovsky did not want to create a movie
                        > to "prove" or "demonstrate" anything. He wanted a film to show life.
                        > Tarkovsky believed that without faith, no artist could create anything
                        > of worth. He believed that almost all the "entertainments" done in
                        > Hollywood were deeply wrong, distorted. The movie Rublev is a movie
                        > about the artist who attempts to create, who suffers, who struggles.
                        > Rublev is tempted, sins, repents, and it is only after repenting
                        > through suffering that he becomes the man who could draw the icon of
                        > the Holy Trinity. "For Tarkovsky Roublev is the first true Russian
                        > artist and his "Trinity" the first original Russian work of art, born
                        > of the hopes, struggles, and suffering of the times." page 89, The
                        > Films of Andrei Tarkovsky:A Visual Fugue" by Vida Johnson and Graham
                        > Petrie, Indiana University Press, 1994.
                        > If I believed that the movie was truly blasphemous, I would never watch
                        > it, nor would I ever encourage others to do so.
                        > Forgive me if I offend in any way for I do not intend to do so.
                        >
                        > Isaac (Gerald) Herrin
                        >

                        > On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 03:18 AM, Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
                        > > attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
                        > > Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
                        > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                        > >
                        > > PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
                        > > flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!
                        > Gerald Herrin
                        > geraldherrin@e...
                      • podnoss
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                          So much has been conveniently forgotten about the events from
                          February '17 to July '18.

                          On February 26, 1917 there were about 300 000 people on the streets
                          of Petrograd calling for the downfall of the Tsar. Repression was
                          impossible. All the Tsar's senior generals had told him this and - on
                          the advice of M. Rodzianko the Speaker of the Duma - convinced him to
                          abdicate.

                          The 250 000 soldiers of the Petrograd garrison had gone over to the
                          people's side on February 27, forcing the police in the capital to
                          flee. People called for the Tsar and the Empress to be shot. "And
                          they shouldn't spare the daughters" was a popular refrain. No armed
                          force could have put down what became a national uprising against the
                          monarchy. Perhaps someone such as yourself could've stepped forward
                          and warned the people that it was a sin to rise up against the Tsar.
                          If they failed to listen, what then?

                          <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:

                          > They condemn the passivity, sadness, indecision,
                          complacency, "états
                          > d'âme", in which those sentimental artists and writers dwelled. The
                          > country was drifting to the catastrophe and needed resolute action
                          > and faith while facing determined communist terrorists
                        • Igumeniya Iulianiya
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                            Subject: Nativity Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:45:08 -0500 A Nativity Reflection

                            In 1994, two Americans answered an invitation from the Russian Department of Education to teach morals and ethics (based on biblical principles) in the public schools. They were invited to teach at prisons, businesses, the fire and police departments, and a large orphanage. About 100 boys and girls who had been abandoned, abused, and left in the care of a government-run program were in the orphanage. They relate the following story in their own words. It was nearing the holiday season, 1994, time for our orphans to hear, for the first time, the traditional story of Christmas. We told them about Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem. Finding no room in the inn, the couple went to a stable, where the baby Jesus was born and placed in a manger. Throughout the story, the children and orphanage staff sat in amazement as they listened. Some sat on the edges of their stools, trying to grasp every word. Completing the story, we gave the children three small pieces of cardboard to make a
                            crude manger. Each child was given a small paper square, cut from yellow napkins I had brought with me. No colored paper was available in the city. Following instructions, the children tore the paper and carefully laid strips in the manger for straw. Small squares of flannel, cut from a worn-out nightgown an American lady was throwing away as she left Russia, were used for the baby's blanket. A doll-like baby was cut from tan felt we had brought from the United States. The orphans were busy assembling their manger as I walked among them to see if they needed any help. All went well until I got to one table where little Misha sat. He looked to be about 6 years old and had finished his project. As I looked at the little boy's manger, was startled to see not one, but two babies in the manger. Quickly, I called for the translator to ask the lad why there were two babies in the manger. Crossing his arms in front of him and looking at this completed manger scene, the child began to repeat
                            the story very seriously. For such a young boy, who had only heard the Christmas story once, he related the happenings accurately - until he came to the part where Mary put the baby Jesus in the manger. Then Misha started to ad-lib. He made up his own ending to the story as he said, "And when Maria laid the baby in the manger, Jesus looked at me and asked me if I had a place to stay. I told him I have no mamma and I have no papa, so I don't have any place to stay. Then Jesus told me I could stay with him. But I told him I couldn't, because I didn't have a gift to give him like everybody else did. But I wanted to stay with Jesus so much, so I thought about what I had that maybe I could use for a gift. I thought maybe if I kept him warm, that would be a good gift. "So I asked Jesus, 'If I keep you warm, will that be a good enough gift?' And Jesus told me, 'If you keep me warm, that will be the best gift anybody ever gave me.' "So I got into the manger, and then Jesus looked at me and
                            He told me I could stay with him - for always." As little Misha finished his story, his eyes brimmed full of tears that splashed down his cheeks. Putting his hand over his face, his head dropped to the table, and his shoulders shook as he sobbed and sobbed. The little orphan had found someone who would never abandon nor abuse him, someone who would stay with him, as he said - FOR ALWAYS. Like Misha, I have learned that it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that really counts. "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." In Him Who calls us, + Father Archimandrite Gregory

                            Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...> wrote:My understanding was that the first lighter than air flight (Balloon)

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            To visit your group on the web, go to:

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Fr Michael Protopopov
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                              Every blessing to you and your family Father, for the Nativity and
                              Theophany.
                              Fr Michael

                              <geraldherrin@e...> wrote:
                              > Blasphemy is a very serious charge against any artist or movie. I don't
                              > think the film "Andrei Rublev" was an attempt to "prove" anything, but
                              > if it were such, then perhaps we should see the main character of the
                              > movie as being not Rublev (who, after all, historically we know almost
                              > nothing about) but rather the character Boriska who makes the bell for
                              > the Grand Duke.) Like the balloonist who first flies, then falls to his
                              > death, Boriska reaches out to create, dominating others by sheer drive
                              > of artistic exuberance. The film is not a biography of the saint. It is
                              > also not an "historical" film except in the sense that Tarkovsky wanted
                              > authenticity in set design, clothing (but he wanted very much for it
                              > not to be a "museum" piece). Tarkovsky did not want to create a movie
                              > to "prove" or "demonstrate" anything. He wanted a film to show life.
                              > Tarkovsky believed that without faith, no artist could create anything
                              > of worth. He believed that almost all the "entertainments" done in
                              > Hollywood were deeply wrong, distorted. The movie Rublev is a movie
                              > about the artist who attempts to create, who suffers, who struggles.
                              > Rublev is tempted, sins, repents, and it is only after repenting
                              > through suffering that he becomes the man who could draw the icon of
                              > the Holy Trinity. "For Tarkovsky Roublev is the first true Russian
                              > artist and his "Trinity" the first original Russian work of art, born
                              > of the hopes, struggles, and suffering of the times." page 89, The
                              > Films of Andrei Tarkovsky:A Visual Fugue" by Vida Johnson and Graham
                              > Petrie, Indiana University Press, 1994.
                              > If I believed that the movie was truly blasphemous, I would never watch
                              > it, nor would I ever encourage others to do so.
                              > Forgive me if I offend in any way for I do not intend to do so.
                              >
                              > Isaac (Gerald) Herrin
                              >

                              > On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 03:18 AM, Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
                              > > attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
                              > > Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
                              > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                              > >
                              > > PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
                              > > flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!
                              > Gerald Herrin
                              > geraldherrin@e...

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • vkozyreff
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 6, 2004
                                Dear "Podnoss",

                                This was the result of a long evolution and unwarranted tolerance
                                that had lasted for a long time.

                                The White army however took up arms and started a war, 1 against 25.
                                Many gave their life, they almost won, were finally defeated, and
                                saved Russia's honour. They acquired a certain right to speak about
                                those who had let it happen.

                                Indeed, the situation in the streets was terrible. For a lively,
                                American-sided and first account of what really happened, see below.

                                In God,

                                Vladimir Kozyreff

                                …Senator Nelson: can you tell to us how it has taken place?

                                Simons: It is a long history. To represent how it happened, hours are
                                needed.

                                …Senator Nelson: Please depict this for us.

                                Simons: I can tell only that in the air the most devil terrorism
                                ripened. <...> I dressed as a Russian worker, put on a Russian shirt
                                which hangs down almost up to knees, put on a felt hat with wide
                                lowered sides and nickel spectacles so my sister said that I looked
                                as a Bolshevik.

                                I went to the street, among these people and listened to their
                                conversations. I went to the barracks. I wanted to collect as much
                                data as possible, for I was going to write a book. I felt that
                                history was being written, I trusted Russia, I loved Russia, but I
                                did not trust at all this ongoing business, and I wanted to look,
                                what it would do to Russia in which I was going to live.

                                I tried to collect first-hand information among common people. These
                                propagandists appeared and spoke both about Lenin and Trotsky, and in
                                the crowd, people would say: "It is true, completely true. "And then,
                                after those propagandists had left in a lorry, there came another
                                lorry with other propagandists…

                                United States Congress/Senate. Judiciary Committee. «The Bolshevik
                                propaganda. Hearings before a subcommittee of the committee on the
                                judiciary. United States Senate. Sixty-fifth congress. Third session
                                and thereafter pursuant to S. Res. 439 and 469. February 11, 1919 to
                                March 10, 1919», Washington, Government Printing Office, 1919; U.S.
                                Supt. of Docs. No. Y 4.J 89/2:B 63/40

                                http://www.rus-sky.org/history/library/overman.htm

                                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:
                                > So much has been conveniently forgotten about the events from
                                > February '17 to July '18.
                                >
                                > On February 26, 1917 there were about 300 000 people on the streets
                                > of Petrograd calling for the downfall of the Tsar. Repression was
                                > impossible. All the Tsar's senior generals had told him this and -
                                on
                                > the advice of M. Rodzianko the Speaker of the Duma - convinced him
                                > abdicate.
                                >
                                > The 250 000 soldiers of the Petrograd garrison had gone over to the
                                > people's side on February 27, forcing the police in the capital to
                                > flee. People called for the Tsar and the Empress to be shot. "And
                                > they shouldn't spare the daughters" was a popular refrain. No armed
                                > force could have put down what became a national uprising against
                                the
                                > monarchy. Perhaps someone such as yourself could've stepped forward
                                > and warned the people that it was a sin to rise up against the Tsar.
                                > If they failed to listen, what then?
                                >

                                > -- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff"
                                > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > They condemn the passivity, sadness, indecision,
                                > complacency, "états
                                > > d'âme", in which those sentimental artists and writers dwelled.
                                The
                                > > country was drifting to the catastrophe and needed resolute
                                action
                                > > and faith while facing determined communist terrorists
                              • michael nikitin
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 6, 2004
                                  Those that called for the Czar to be shot were
                                  Communists who were enciting the people.

                                  Because the war caused much hardship on the people
                                  some did want a change, but the change was mostly
                                  from the upper class(Kerensky, etc..) and the different
                                  political powers such as the Communists, Mensheviks, etc...
                                  who wanted power.

                                  Most of the common people loved the Czar. The Serfs
                                  received their freedom and were glad for it. The landowners
                                  didn't particularly like the Czar.

                                  Much of the demonstrations were prooganda in nature and
                                  were purposely done in view of the Czars travelling route.
                                  This was done to discourage the Czar and facilitate his
                                  abdication which the likes of M. Rodzianko and Co. did well.

                                  Unfortunately the Communists, with the help of bankers from
                                  New York and England, had a different agenda. The rest is history.

                                  Michael N.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 9, 2004
                                    Dear List,

                                    Regarding Chekhov's society, "The ideologies promoted by the Russian
                                    intelligentsia tended to be socially radical, democratic, and
                                    cosmopolitan, although they might have a concealed elitist,
                                    authoritarian, or nationalist streak". (Presniakov)

                                    "These theories, derived from the advanced thought of contemporary
                                    Europe, often bore little relevance to the immediate problems
                                    confronting Russian society, but this seldom detracted from their
                                    appeal. Intellectuals were acknowledged to be their mentors by nearly
                                    all educated Russians, that is, by everyone not closely identified
                                    with the autocratic regime…Russian socialism was therefore a product
                                    of the intelligentsia" (Pares, Bernard. A History of Russia. New
                                    York: Alfred A. Knopf Inc, 1926, third edition revised. Pares)

                                    Before the First World War the intelligentsia's dominance began to
                                    wane, and they were discriminated against in the early days of the
                                    revolution and during the Stalinist period. However, during later
                                    communism, they were worshipped…

                                    http://econc10.bu.edu/economic_systems/NatIdentity/FSU/Russia/Westerni
                                    zation.html

                                    In support of what Michael writes, I would like to remind that
                                    the "Russian Revolution" was not really Russian and was a war
                                    declared on the Russian people. As many revolutions, it depended on
                                    an external (diaspora) financing.

                                    Below, see a reference about the causes of revolutions/civil wars in
                                    general, and another on Russian revolution specifically.

                                    In God,

                                    Vladimir Kozyreff

                                    -----
                                    1. Greed and grievances

                                    ...Rebellion may be explained by atypically severe grievances, such
                                    as high inequality, a lack of political rights, or ethnic and
                                    religious divisions in society. Alternatively, it might be explained
                                    by atypical opportunities for building a rebel organization.
                                    Opportunity may be determined by access to finance, such as the scope
                                    for extortion of natural resources, and for donations from a diaspora
                                    population.

                                    Opportunity may also depend upon factors such as geography: mountains
                                    and forests may be needed to incubate rebellion. We test these
                                    explanations and find that opportunity provides considerably more
                                    explanatory power than grievance. Economic viability appears to be
                                    the predominant systematic explanation of rebellion.

                                    The results are robust to correction for outliers, alternative
                                    variable definition, and variations in estimation method. Greed and
                                    Grievance in Civil War by Paul Collier and Anke Hoeffler

                                    http://www.worldbank.org/research/conflict/papers/greedandgrievance.ht

                                    -----
                                    2. The Russian revolution in particular did not originate from the
                                    Russian people

                                    "The biggest fallacy concerning the Bolshevik Revolution is that it
                                    originated from the people ... from the poor huddled masses. In
                                    reality, it was financed by: a) England's Lord Alfred Milner, b) Wall
                                    Street bankers such as J. P. Morgan & company and the Rockefeller
                                    Family c) Europe's Rothschild dynasty, and d) German bankers such as
                                    Max Warburg, whose brother Paul was the key man in setting up
                                    America's Federal Reserve System.

                                    ...Money for the Bolshevik Revolution came from superrich Western
                                    financiers, some of whom were Americans! In essence, then, the very
                                    core of Communism was a partnership between monopoly-oriented
                                    Capitalists and the international Socialist movement".

                                    http://pub64.ezboard.com/frespectforthetencommandmentsfrm9.showMessage
                                    ?topicID=1.topic

                                  • Olga
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 28, 2004
                                      hello all!

                                      Way back in December, I asked for input on favourite Orthodox "desert
                                      island" reading, and I would like to say a huge thank you to Father
                                      Victor for recommending the book "Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest,
                                      Prisoner, Spiritual Father" and for those of you who are interested,
                                      the publisher is St. Vladimir's Seminary Press.

                                      It took me awhile to get around to finding it, ordering it, and then
                                      reading it, but all I can say is 'wow!'. I was sorry when I got to
                                      the end of the book. So bittersweet, so moving, so inspirational!

                                      It is not my intention to start any arguments here!! But my knowledge
                                      of the Soviet church from the 30's to the 70's is obviously very
                                      limited, which I realized after reading this book. Some of the
                                      believers described in this book were persecuted, they preferred not
                                      to attend the "open" church, and I don't think they were part of the
                                      catacomb church, which raises a question for me - which church might
                                      have they been a part of? This is just for my own personal
                                      information.

                                      And again no arguments please!!!

                                      In Christ,
                                      Olga