Some opinion from Russia

  • goossir
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2003
      Dear list,

      Today I had a very interesting conversation with one of my best
      friend in Russia.

      I told her about my sorrow and shame regarding the betrayal of the
      ROCOR. Her answer was: Irina, in Russia, people are so lost and
      miserable that the church (the MP) is a refuge. They do not
      understand the difference between duxhovnost and dushevnost. This
      kind of knowledge needs some spiritual education and instinct.
      Eighty years of godlessness killed their instinct. . They have been
      deceived in everything. The only thing they want is to cling to
      something tangible. Now they can go to churches, pray and believe
      without fear. They do not care that the patriarch and his bishops
      are corrupted. They want a church and they have it. They are so
      relieved to have something to worship that they think does not
      belong to this materialistic world, to politics, etc. Moreover,
      they are convinced that this church (MP) is a protection against the
      garbage coming from the west.

      My answer was: yes, I understand but this is why I am so
      devastated. The MP never renounced its errors truly and sincerely
      in an orthodox way. So it was the ROCOR's duty (dolg') to be the
      lighthouse of the Truth and show the way. She could not compromise
      (they call this "engaging in a dialogue") with a pseudo-church,
      which at one point decided with the secular power (communist) which
      churches can be destroyed and which saved - can you imagine the
      apostles making such deals with the Roman emperors? (someone
      knowledgeable whispered this to me).
      Saul of Tarse, the persecutor of Christians, showed the example on
      his way to Damas, when he fell from his horse and became St Paul,
      the Apostle. No lengthy, complicated, contradictory discussions are
      needed. Metanoia is turning your back completely and be reborn
      again.

      To this, my friend replied: Unfortunately, no one is strong enough
      nowadays. We live in world with no spirituality, a world of
      decadence – we are nearing the end of times. People are
      contaminated and strong statements frighten them. So they prefer
      something that do not disturb them too much. In other words, a bad,
      weak, human church is better than the True One who is too (in their
      eyes) demanding.

      I do hope that those who wanted to change subject will not be too
      much offended (or bored) by this mail. Please forgive me if you are.

      In Christ
      Irina

      PS: It is midnight (Brussels time) and everywhere the firecrackers
      are sparkling – I wish you all a very good new year 2004.