Re: A change of topic, please!

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 31, 2003
      Dear List,

      Speaking about Tarkovsky's Rubliov, I am not sure the film is really
      orthodox. It is certainly not historical. If I remember, the script
      goes that monk Andreï Roublev is chosen to paint frescos in a
      cathedral, but he is disturbed by the subject: he cannot admit that
      God takes revenge on his creatures at the dread Judgement. Moved by
      the faith of original Christianity, he believes in a God of love and
      of pardon, and this condemns him to loneliness and doubt.

      I do not think that Tarkovsky had a good knowledge of what monachism
      and orthodoxy are about. Who told him that the Church did teach the
      vision against which his Rubliov struggled? Who told him that
      believing in a God of love threw him, an orthodox monk, into
      loneliness? The MP?

      In fact, this film was not totally disagreeable to the regime, as it
      gave a negative idea of the Church and presented Rubliev as a kind of
      protestant in rebellion against the Church and composing his personal
      orthodoxy. Considering that Rubliov painted among the most beautiful
      and most orthodox icons and frescoes, the film, whatever the talent
      of the author is almost a sacrilege. Please, Messrs. the non-orthodox
      film directors, keep your hands off orthodoxy before you convert.

      As you know, the regime was an expert in managing "dissidence" to its
      benefit (Vysotsky, Akhudjava, etc.)

      I confess that I saw the film a very long time ago, but the scent of
      it was very little orthodox and very much soviet in my memory.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Herrin
      <geraldherrin@e...> wrote:
      > I am pleased to answer this, or at least give my opinion:
      >
      > 1) The Northern Thebaid: Monastic Saints of the Russian North
      > 2) Early Fathers from the Philokalia, translated by E. Kadloubovsky
      and
      > G.E,H. Palmer
      > 3) Any of the biographies of the Optina Elders
      > 4) Dostoevsky.... Crime and Punishment, The Demons, and the
      Brothers
      > Karamazov
      > 5) Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (not Orthodox, of
      > course, but still one of the finest histories of the later Roman
      Empire
      > in English)
      > 6) Saint Augustine's Confessions
      > 7) and could I watch Andrei Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev and Fellini's
      La
      > Strada on this desert island?
      >
      > My suggestions for myself ....
      >
      > Isaac (Gerald) Herrin
      >

      > On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 09:45 AM, Olga wrote:
      >
      > > Therefore, I propose a change of topic:
      > > If you were stuck on a desert island, besides the Gospel, of
      course,
      > > which Orthodox books would you want to have with you? The ones
      that
      > > you find particularly close to your heart, the most inspiring, the
      > > most enlightening, the most moving!
      >

      > Gerald Herrin
      > geraldherrin@e...
    • podnoss
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 31, 2003
        Well, I'll give you my opinion.

        Anything by Dostoyevsky or Chekhov. Specifically Chekhov's "The
        Bishop" & Dostoyevsky's "Crime & Punishment".

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Griffing" <jmg@j...>

      • vkozyreff
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 1, 2004
          Dera List,

          It is odd to put Chekhov and Dostoyevsky in the came class. Chekhov's
          pessimism is viewed by many in Russia as the illness of society that
          paved the way to communism and atheism. In that sense, he is very
          Russian, but very sick and very little orthodox. According to a very
          unorthodox writer, Berdyaev, the Church is responsible. Alkexis II
          thinks so too, apparently.

          For those who struggled for their faith in the USSR, Chekhov was not
          really supportive. Since the battle is not over, I would not
          recommend Chekhov's works about senseless life as an item for the
          survival library.

          "Reflecting on the causes of the collapse of old Russia, we realise
          that the entire Russian Church bears the burden of responsibility for
          what happened to our beloved country and our people who proved to
          have had insufficient immunity against the pernicious false
          teachings..." (Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia: An Appeal
          to Metropolitan Laurus and the Bishops' Council of the Russian
          Orthodox Church Outside of Russia).

          "Despite its pessimism Anton Chekhov's (1860-1904) work conveys man's
          capacity to love his neighbor. Although he sees life as senseless, he
          also recognizes in man the capacity to strive for perfection and the
          ability for self renunciation. Unfortunately, part of the blame for
          the senselessness which Chekhov and more radical writers saw in life
          must fall on the Russian Church. As Berdyaev observed, the Church
          often "relegated spiritual life to another and transcendent world and
          created a religion for the soul that was homesick for the spiritual
          life it had lost." Confusion in the proclamation of the church's
          message brought confusion to the spiritual content of literature".
          http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7111.asp

          In God,

          Vladimir Kozyreff

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:

          > Well, I'll give you my opinion.
          >
          > Anything by Dostoyevsky or Chekhov. Specifically Chekhov's "The
          > Bishop" & Dostoyevsky's "Crime & Punishment".
          >

          > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Griffing" <jmg@j...>
          > wrote:
          > > In no particular order:
          > >
          > > The Psalter
          > > The Old Orthodox Prayerbook
          > > The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
          > > Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ (if for no other reason than to
          > remember my patron)
          > > The Northern Thebaid
          > > The Serbian Patericon
          > > Lives of the Monastery Builders of Holy Mt. Athos
          > > Ladder of Divine Ascent
          > > Way of the Ascetics
          > > Unseen Warfare
          > >
          > > In Christ,
          > > Justin

        • podnoss
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 1, 2004
            What can we do? We must live our lives. Yes, we shall live... We
            shall live through the long procession of days before us, and
            through the long evenings; we shall patiently bear the trials that
            fate imposes on us; we shall work for others without rest, both now
            and when we are old; and when our last hour comes we shall meet it
            humbly, and there, beyond the grave, we shall say that we have
            suffered and wept, that our life was bitter, and God will have pity
            on us. Ah, then we shall see that bright and beautiful life; we
            shall rejoice and look back upon our sorrow here; a tender smile--
            and--we shall rest. I have faith
          • vkozyreff
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2004
              Dear "Podnoss",

              I love Chekhov, maybe as much as you do. Chekhov used to say that it
              was impossible to be joyous in our world. In the emigration circles
              of the White army's survivors, as well as among those who now, in
              Russia, somehow survived morally and hence suffer bitterly from
              Russia's humiliation, destruction, spiritual and moral devastation,
              the judgement on the pre-Revolutionary "intelligentsia" is rather
              severe.

              They condemn the passivity, sadness, indecision, complacency, "états
              d'âme", in which those sentimental artists and writers dwelled. The
              country was drifting to the catastrophe and needed resolute action
              and faith while facing determined communist terrorists. This war
              against God and mankind is only continuing, in a much more vicious
              and subtle way however. The devil has just changed denomination and
              refined his tactics. He has become stronger. We have become weaker
              and lukewarm.

              I remember a description by Chekhov of a landscape with isbas, an
              willows under the moonlight, which Chekhov qualifies as "beautiful
              and sad" (not "beautiful but sad"), which is very Russian, close and
              familiar to my feelings. In his house in Yalta, a night landscape by
              Levitan with haystacks gives the same impression of beauty and
              sadness. Chekhov had an immense love for Russia and is thus so close
              to me in that sense. Moreover, how not being sad about Russia?

              I do not think however that Chekhov, with his hesitating faith in
              Christ and in the Church is what we need in our time of schisms and
              confusion. We need resolution and clarity. We need most of all an
              alert judgement, as well as an explicit and unambiguous faith in the
              Church and in Christ.

              This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah: "A voice of
              one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make
              straight paths for him.' "[ 3:3 Isaiah 40:3] Matthew 3:3

              We are indeed on a deserted island, we are calling in the desert, and
              we must make straight paths, I mean *straight* ones.

              In God,

              Vladimir Kozyreff

              " The calling of all mankind, says Chekhov through the artist of "
              the Small house with an attic ", is in spiritual activity, in the
              constant search for the truth and the meaning of life... only
              sciences, arts can religion can satisfy man... Sciences and arts,
              when they represent the truth, when they aspire not at worldly
              things, not at personal interests, but at the eternal and the
              universal, - they search the truth, the meaning of life, God, the
              soul ".

              The general content of Chekhov's work and himself can be summarised
              by these words. His work is devoted to what he saw as being the task
              of true science and art: to search for the truth, God, the soul, the
              meaning of life.

              SN Bulgakov , Chekhov as a thinker

              Very few valuable...writers of that time, reflected the Church life.
              Neither Leskov, nor Pisemsky and even less Chekhov were true and
              consistent mirrors of any church life in all of its completeness.
              They all a detached view of it. Chekhov called himself a non-
              believer, a non-orthodox.
              http://www.svet.orthodoxy.ru/2003/n23/s016.htm

              Merezhkovsky...says: " the Religion of mankind ", without God, the
              religion of mankind alone, always was and has been the unconscious
              religion of the Russian intelligentsia ". Chekhov and Gorky ... are
              the first conscious teachers and prophets of this religion...

              " We are the supreme beings, and if, we would really learn all the
              power of the human genius, we would be as gods ". (A.Chehov).

              The religious ideas the work of A.Chekhov, M.Gorky, L.Tolstoy and
              F.Dostoevsky's. (on the basis of D.S.Merezhkovsky's critiques).
              www.booksite.ru/fulltext/dos/toj/evs/kii/dostojevskii_f/sbor_stat/32.h
              tm

              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:
              > What can we do? We must live our lives. Yes, we shall live... We
              > shall live through the long procession of days before us, and
              > through the long evenings; we shall patiently bear the trials that
              > fate imposes on us; we shall work for others without rest, both now
              > and when we are old; and when our last hour comes we shall meet it
              > humbly, and there, beyond the grave, we shall say that we have
              > suffered and wept, that our life was bitter, and God will have pity
              > on us. Ah, then we shall see that bright and beautiful life; we
              > shall rejoice and look back upon our sorrow here; a tender smile--
              > and--we shall rest. I have faith
            • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 4, 2004
                ABBA DOROTHEI !!!

                Any of the books of Saint John of Kronstadt.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 4, 2004
                  I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
                  attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
                  Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
                  Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

                  PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
                  flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!

                • vkozyreff
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 4, 2004
                    Dear Father Stefan, bless.

                    Considering the many hot confrontations that have taken place on this
                    forum, I think it is appropriate to glorify God whenever, as now, we
                    agree with one another in defending the purity of orthodoxy against
                    those who attack it, in this particular case, our fellow Russian, the
                    brilliant Tarkovsky.

                    I think that this is more than just a social discussion about cinema.
                    I do not want to take any undue advantage from agreeing with you
                    about a film, but I am sure that if we were to scrap a little more
                    the surface, we would find much deeper agreement than many would
                    expect between many of us that consider themselves as antagonists of
                    one another. May God help us to dig in that direction.

                    As you, I am proud about the Russian creativity and scientific
                    achievements. From what I found however, the Russian invention of
                    aerostation, which would have taken place, by the way, much later
                    than in Rubliev's time, about 50 years before the Montgolfier
                    experiment, might be a forgery, as seen below. The Russian inventor
                    might have been a German in fact. If it is so (I do not claim to have
                    a final opinion on the subject), let us disseminate the news, as
                    nothing can serve Russia better than the truth. She is sufficiently
                    glorious on her own. In aeronautics, she might have to content
                    herself with her sputniks, Tsiolkovsky, Sikorsky, Joukovsky, and a
                    few others.

                    http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/Features/1stStrtgcBmbrSq.html

                    Unfortunately, in sciences as in spirituality, Russians have reached
                    historical records both in lying and in proclaiming the truth. The
                    Lyssenko affair (see below) is about one of the mot shameful deceits
                    by Soviet scientists.

                    It looks as though Russia can be only the best or the worst of all
                    nations. In spite of all, she is our beloved country. Let us pray God
                    that he help her to become only true.

                    In God,

                    Vladimir Kozyreff

                    -----

                    Aerostation

                    In 1956 the book "Documents on the history of aeronautics and
                    aircraft in the USSR " was published. In the chapter
                    entitled "Aeronautics and aircraft in Russia until 1907", the story
                    of Kryakutnoy, who allegedly first-ever travelled in a balloon is
                    reported. This is given as the proof that the Russian were first in
                    the field of aeronautics.

                    Incidentally, the process that created this nonexistent character is
                    well-known to the experts. As D.S. Likhachov reports, in the
                    chronicle's text "in 1731 in Ryazan under voyevod "podyachy"
                    nyeretkhtiets Kryakutnoy Furvin made a big balloon, inflated it with
                    a nasty and smelly smoke", it could be established by photographic
                    researches, that the word "nierekhtiets" is written on top of the
                    word "niemiets" (German), and the surname "Kryakutnoy" covers the
                    word "kreschenoy", as if to the surname "Furvin" a correction was
                    made to the initial "Furtsel". Despite the protests by experts,
                    Kryakutnoy continued his triumphal procession in the pages of the
                    scientific and popular scientific literature until the last decade of
                    the XXst century.

                    Historical stories and mythology of the XXst century, Yury Shatin,
                    The Novosibirsk state pedagogical university, Criticism and
                    semiotics. May, 2002. pp. 100-108

                    http://www.nsu.ru/education/virtual/cs5shatin.htm

                    See also:

                    http://www.utro.ru/column/2001082303201331381.shtml

                    -----

                    Scientific forgery in general, and Lyssenko specifically

                    However, ideologies are not in themselves passive inert forms of
                    consciousness but are part and parcel of practical and symbolic
                    activities ; they federate interests, galvanize passions, permeate
                    institutions and sometimes become official through State action.
                    Consequently, their reaction to scientific news is often biased and
                    is aimed at either confirming or refuting it. In extreme cases, as
                    history has often shown, ideologies turn some items of information
                    into dogma and declare war on others.

                    The Lyssenko case is still the classic example of this. As, in the
                    USSR of the middle of this century, " Mendel-Morgan genetics" were
                    considered incompatible with Party and State philosophy, they were
                    totally censored for nearly twenty years, with disastrous
                    consequences in many fields....

                    Ideologies thus emerge as very powerful selective distorting factors
                    in the transmission of scientific news, the more so as they bias the
                    judgement, not only of the public but also of journalists, and even
                    in large measure that of many scientists...

                    http://www.ccne-ethique.fr/english/avis/a_045p02.htm

                    --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko"

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                      My understanding was that the first lighter than air flight (Balloon)
                      took place in Russia during the reign of Ivan Grosni. My brother
                      always claimed that the story in detail may have been a bit distorted
                      but that there was a kernel of truth to the main point.

                      What is the foundation, if any for such an account?

                      I remember that in school (here in the States) when any inventions
                      were discussed, no Russian inventors were ever credited properly for
                      their contribution to the invention or development of any innovations.

                      So I was sure that the Balloon flight was also an oversight as the others.

                    • Fr. Gregory Williams
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                        There's an old joke which says that the most famous inventor in the Soviet
                        Union was a fellow named Reguspatoff.
                      • Gerald Herrin
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                          Blasphemy is a very serious charge against any artist or movie. I don't
                          think the film "Andrei Rublev" was an attempt to "prove" anything, but
                          if it were such, then perhaps we should see the main character of the
                          movie as being not Rublev (who, after all, historically we know almost
                          nothing about) but rather the character Boriska who makes the bell for
                          the Grand Duke.) Like the balloonist who first flies, then falls to his
                          death, Boriska reaches out to create, dominating others by sheer drive
                          of artistic exuberance. The film is not a biography of the saint. It is
                          also not an "historical" film except in the sense that Tarkovsky wanted
                          authenticity in set design, clothing (but he wanted very much for it
                          not to be a "museum" piece). Tarkovsky did not want to create a movie
                          to "prove" or "demonstrate" anything. He wanted a film to show life.
                          Tarkovsky believed that without faith, no artist could create anything
                          of worth. He believed that almost all the "entertainments" done in
                          Hollywood were deeply wrong, distorted. The movie Rublev is a movie
                          about the artist who attempts to create, who suffers, who struggles.
                          Rublev is tempted, sins, repents, and it is only after repenting
                          through suffering that he becomes the man who could draw the icon of
                          the Holy Trinity. "For Tarkovsky Roublev is the first true Russian
                          artist and his "Trinity" the first original Russian work of art, born
                          of the hopes, struggles, and suffering of the times." page 89, The
                          Films of Andrei Tarkovsky:A Visual Fugue" by Vida Johnson and Graham
                          Petrie, Indiana University Press, 1994.
                          If I believed that the movie was truly blasphemous, I would never watch
                          it, nor would I ever encourage others to do so.
                          Forgive me if I offend in any way for I do not intend to do so.

                          Isaac (Gerald) Herrin

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                            I also meant no offence to anyone personally. So please forgive me is
                            my choice of words was to strong. A Joyous and Grace filled Nativity
                            feast to all!

                            <geraldherrin@e...> wrote:
                            > Blasphemy is a very serious charge against any artist or movie. I don't
                            > think the film "Andrei Rublev" was an attempt to "prove" anything, but
                            > if it were such, then perhaps we should see the main character of the
                            > movie as being not Rublev (who, after all, historically we know almost
                            > nothing about) but rather the character Boriska who makes the bell for
                            > the Grand Duke.) Like the balloonist who first flies, then falls to his
                            > death, Boriska reaches out to create, dominating others by sheer drive
                            > of artistic exuberance. The film is not a biography of the saint. It is
                            > also not an "historical" film except in the sense that Tarkovsky wanted
                            > authenticity in set design, clothing (but he wanted very much for it
                            > not to be a "museum" piece). Tarkovsky did not want to create a movie
                            > to "prove" or "demonstrate" anything. He wanted a film to show life.
                            > Tarkovsky believed that without faith, no artist could create anything
                            > of worth. He believed that almost all the "entertainments" done in
                            > Hollywood were deeply wrong, distorted. The movie Rublev is a movie
                            > about the artist who attempts to create, who suffers, who struggles.
                            > Rublev is tempted, sins, repents, and it is only after repenting
                            > through suffering that he becomes the man who could draw the icon of
                            > the Holy Trinity. "For Tarkovsky Roublev is the first true Russian
                            > artist and his "Trinity" the first original Russian work of art, born
                            > of the hopes, struggles, and suffering of the times." page 89, The
                            > Films of Andrei Tarkovsky:A Visual Fugue" by Vida Johnson and Graham
                            > Petrie, Indiana University Press, 1994.
                            > If I believed that the movie was truly blasphemous, I would never watch
                            > it, nor would I ever encourage others to do so.
                            > Forgive me if I offend in any way for I do not intend to do so.
                            >
                            > Isaac (Gerald) Herrin
                            >

                            > On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 03:18 AM, Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            > > I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
                            > > attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
                            > > Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
                            > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                            > >
                            > > PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
                            > > flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!
                            > Gerald Herrin
                            > geraldherrin@e...
                          • podnoss
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                              So much has been conveniently forgotten about the events from
                              February '17 to July '18.

                              On February 26, 1917 there were about 300 000 people on the streets
                              of Petrograd calling for the downfall of the Tsar. Repression was
                              impossible. All the Tsar's senior generals had told him this and - on
                              the advice of M. Rodzianko the Speaker of the Duma - convinced him to
                              abdicate.

                              The 250 000 soldiers of the Petrograd garrison had gone over to the
                              people's side on February 27, forcing the police in the capital to
                              flee. People called for the Tsar and the Empress to be shot. "And
                              they shouldn't spare the daughters" was a popular refrain. No armed
                              force could have put down what became a national uprising against the
                              monarchy. Perhaps someone such as yourself could've stepped forward
                              and warned the people that it was a sin to rise up against the Tsar.
                              If they failed to listen, what then?

                              <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:

                              > They condemn the passivity, sadness, indecision,
                              complacency, "états
                              > d'âme", in which those sentimental artists and writers dwelled. The
                              > country was drifting to the catastrophe and needed resolute action
                              > and faith while facing determined communist terrorists
                            • Igumeniya Iulianiya
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                                Subject: Nativity Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:45:08 -0500 A Nativity Reflection

                                In 1994, two Americans answered an invitation from the Russian Department of Education to teach morals and ethics (based on biblical principles) in the public schools. They were invited to teach at prisons, businesses, the fire and police departments, and a large orphanage. About 100 boys and girls who had been abandoned, abused, and left in the care of a government-run program were in the orphanage. They relate the following story in their own words. It was nearing the holiday season, 1994, time for our orphans to hear, for the first time, the traditional story of Christmas. We told them about Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem. Finding no room in the inn, the couple went to a stable, where the baby Jesus was born and placed in a manger. Throughout the story, the children and orphanage staff sat in amazement as they listened. Some sat on the edges of their stools, trying to grasp every word. Completing the story, we gave the children three small pieces of cardboard to make a
                                crude manger. Each child was given a small paper square, cut from yellow napkins I had brought with me. No colored paper was available in the city. Following instructions, the children tore the paper and carefully laid strips in the manger for straw. Small squares of flannel, cut from a worn-out nightgown an American lady was throwing away as she left Russia, were used for the baby's blanket. A doll-like baby was cut from tan felt we had brought from the United States. The orphans were busy assembling their manger as I walked among them to see if they needed any help. All went well until I got to one table where little Misha sat. He looked to be about 6 years old and had finished his project. As I looked at the little boy's manger, was startled to see not one, but two babies in the manger. Quickly, I called for the translator to ask the lad why there were two babies in the manger. Crossing his arms in front of him and looking at this completed manger scene, the child began to repeat
                                the story very seriously. For such a young boy, who had only heard the Christmas story once, he related the happenings accurately - until he came to the part where Mary put the baby Jesus in the manger. Then Misha started to ad-lib. He made up his own ending to the story as he said, "And when Maria laid the baby in the manger, Jesus looked at me and asked me if I had a place to stay. I told him I have no mamma and I have no papa, so I don't have any place to stay. Then Jesus told me I could stay with him. But I told him I couldn't, because I didn't have a gift to give him like everybody else did. But I wanted to stay with Jesus so much, so I thought about what I had that maybe I could use for a gift. I thought maybe if I kept him warm, that would be a good gift. "So I asked Jesus, 'If I keep you warm, will that be a good enough gift?' And Jesus told me, 'If you keep me warm, that will be the best gift anybody ever gave me.' "So I got into the manger, and then Jesus looked at me and
                                He told me I could stay with him - for always." As little Misha finished his story, his eyes brimmed full of tears that splashed down his cheeks. Putting his hand over his face, his head dropped to the table, and his shoulders shook as he sobbed and sobbed. The little orphan had found someone who would never abandon nor abuse him, someone who would stay with him, as he said - FOR ALWAYS. Like Misha, I have learned that it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that really counts. "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." In Him Who calls us, + Father Archimandrite Gregory

                                Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...> wrote:My understanding was that the first lighter than air flight (Balloon)

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Fr Michael Protopopov
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 5, 2004
                                  Every blessing to you and your family Father, for the Nativity and
                                  Theophany.
                                  Fr Michael

                                  <geraldherrin@e...> wrote:
                                  > Blasphemy is a very serious charge against any artist or movie. I don't
                                  > think the film "Andrei Rublev" was an attempt to "prove" anything, but
                                  > if it were such, then perhaps we should see the main character of the
                                  > movie as being not Rublev (who, after all, historically we know almost
                                  > nothing about) but rather the character Boriska who makes the bell for
                                  > the Grand Duke.) Like the balloonist who first flies, then falls to his
                                  > death, Boriska reaches out to create, dominating others by sheer drive
                                  > of artistic exuberance. The film is not a biography of the saint. It is
                                  > also not an "historical" film except in the sense that Tarkovsky wanted
                                  > authenticity in set design, clothing (but he wanted very much for it
                                  > not to be a "museum" piece). Tarkovsky did not want to create a movie
                                  > to "prove" or "demonstrate" anything. He wanted a film to show life.
                                  > Tarkovsky believed that without faith, no artist could create anything
                                  > of worth. He believed that almost all the "entertainments" done in
                                  > Hollywood were deeply wrong, distorted. The movie Rublev is a movie
                                  > about the artist who attempts to create, who suffers, who struggles.
                                  > Rublev is tempted, sins, repents, and it is only after repenting
                                  > through suffering that he becomes the man who could draw the icon of
                                  > the Holy Trinity. "For Tarkovsky Roublev is the first true Russian
                                  > artist and his "Trinity" the first original Russian work of art, born
                                  > of the hopes, struggles, and suffering of the times." page 89, The
                                  > Films of Andrei Tarkovsky:A Visual Fugue" by Vida Johnson and Graham
                                  > Petrie, Indiana University Press, 1994.
                                  > If I believed that the movie was truly blasphemous, I would never watch
                                  > it, nor would I ever encourage others to do so.
                                  > Forgive me if I offend in any way for I do not intend to do so.
                                  >
                                  > Isaac (Gerald) Herrin
                                  >

                                  > On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 03:18 AM, Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
                                  > > attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
                                  > > Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
                                  > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                                  > >
                                  > > PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
                                  > > flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!
                                  > Gerald Herrin
                                  > geraldherrin@e...

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • vkozyreff
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 6, 2004
                                    Dear "Podnoss",

                                    This was the result of a long evolution and unwarranted tolerance
                                    that had lasted for a long time.

                                    The White army however took up arms and started a war, 1 against 25.
                                    Many gave their life, they almost won, were finally defeated, and
                                    saved Russia's honour. They acquired a certain right to speak about
                                    those who had let it happen.

                                    Indeed, the situation in the streets was terrible. For a lively,
                                    American-sided and first account of what really happened, see below.

                                    In God,

                                    Vladimir Kozyreff

                                    …Senator Nelson: can you tell to us how it has taken place?

                                    Simons: It is a long history. To represent how it happened, hours are
                                    needed.

                                    …Senator Nelson: Please depict this for us.

                                    Simons: I can tell only that in the air the most devil terrorism
                                    ripened. <...> I dressed as a Russian worker, put on a Russian shirt
                                    which hangs down almost up to knees, put on a felt hat with wide
                                    lowered sides and nickel spectacles so my sister said that I looked
                                    as a Bolshevik.

                                    I went to the street, among these people and listened to their
                                    conversations. I went to the barracks. I wanted to collect as much
                                    data as possible, for I was going to write a book. I felt that
                                    history was being written, I trusted Russia, I loved Russia, but I
                                    did not trust at all this ongoing business, and I wanted to look,
                                    what it would do to Russia in which I was going to live.

                                    I tried to collect first-hand information among common people. These
                                    propagandists appeared and spoke both about Lenin and Trotsky, and in
                                    the crowd, people would say: "It is true, completely true. "And then,
                                    after those propagandists had left in a lorry, there came another
                                    lorry with other propagandists…

                                    United States Congress/Senate. Judiciary Committee. «The Bolshevik
                                    propaganda. Hearings before a subcommittee of the committee on the
                                    judiciary. United States Senate. Sixty-fifth congress. Third session
                                    and thereafter pursuant to S. Res. 439 and 469. February 11, 1919 to
                                    March 10, 1919», Washington, Government Printing Office, 1919; U.S.
                                    Supt. of Docs. No. Y 4.J 89/2:B 63/40

                                    http://www.rus-sky.org/history/library/overman.htm

                                    --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:
                                    > So much has been conveniently forgotten about the events from
                                    > February '17 to July '18.
                                    >
                                    > On February 26, 1917 there were about 300 000 people on the streets
                                    > of Petrograd calling for the downfall of the Tsar. Repression was
                                    > impossible. All the Tsar's senior generals had told him this and -
                                    on
                                    > the advice of M. Rodzianko the Speaker of the Duma - convinced him
                                    > abdicate.
                                    >
                                    > The 250 000 soldiers of the Petrograd garrison had gone over to the
                                    > people's side on February 27, forcing the police in the capital to
                                    > flee. People called for the Tsar and the Empress to be shot. "And
                                    > they shouldn't spare the daughters" was a popular refrain. No armed
                                    > force could have put down what became a national uprising against
                                    the
                                    > monarchy. Perhaps someone such as yourself could've stepped forward
                                    > and warned the people that it was a sin to rise up against the Tsar.
                                    > If they failed to listen, what then?
                                    >

                                    > -- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff"
                                    > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > They condemn the passivity, sadness, indecision,
                                    > complacency, "états
                                    > > d'âme", in which those sentimental artists and writers dwelled.
                                    The
                                    > > country was drifting to the catastrophe and needed resolute
                                    action
                                    > > and faith while facing determined communist terrorists
                                  • michael nikitin
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 6, 2004
                                      Those that called for the Czar to be shot were
                                      Communists who were enciting the people.

                                      Because the war caused much hardship on the people
                                      some did want a change, but the change was mostly
                                      from the upper class(Kerensky, etc..) and the different
                                      political powers such as the Communists, Mensheviks, etc...
                                      who wanted power.

                                      Most of the common people loved the Czar. The Serfs
                                      received their freedom and were glad for it. The landowners
                                      didn't particularly like the Czar.

                                      Much of the demonstrations were prooganda in nature and
                                      were purposely done in view of the Czars travelling route.
                                      This was done to discourage the Czar and facilitate his
                                      abdication which the likes of M. Rodzianko and Co. did well.

                                      Unfortunately the Communists, with the help of bankers from
                                      New York and England, had a different agenda. The rest is history.

                                      Michael N.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 9, 2004
                                        Dear List,

                                        Regarding Chekhov's society, "The ideologies promoted by the Russian
                                        intelligentsia tended to be socially radical, democratic, and
                                        cosmopolitan, although they might have a concealed elitist,
                                        authoritarian, or nationalist streak". (Presniakov)

                                        "These theories, derived from the advanced thought of contemporary
                                        Europe, often bore little relevance to the immediate problems
                                        confronting Russian society, but this seldom detracted from their
                                        appeal. Intellectuals were acknowledged to be their mentors by nearly
                                        all educated Russians, that is, by everyone not closely identified
                                        with the autocratic regime…Russian socialism was therefore a product
                                        of the intelligentsia" (Pares, Bernard. A History of Russia. New
                                        York: Alfred A. Knopf Inc, 1926, third edition revised. Pares)

                                        Before the First World War the intelligentsia's dominance began to
                                        wane, and they were discriminated against in the early days of the
                                        revolution and during the Stalinist period. However, during later
                                        communism, they were worshipped…

                                        http://econc10.bu.edu/economic_systems/NatIdentity/FSU/Russia/Westerni
                                        zation.html

                                        In support of what Michael writes, I would like to remind that
                                        the "Russian Revolution" was not really Russian and was a war
                                        declared on the Russian people. As many revolutions, it depended on
                                        an external (diaspora) financing.

                                        Below, see a reference about the causes of revolutions/civil wars in
                                        general, and another on Russian revolution specifically.

                                        In God,

                                        Vladimir Kozyreff

                                        -----
                                        1. Greed and grievances

                                        ...Rebellion may be explained by atypically severe grievances, such
                                        as high inequality, a lack of political rights, or ethnic and
                                        religious divisions in society. Alternatively, it might be explained
                                        by atypical opportunities for building a rebel organization.
                                        Opportunity may be determined by access to finance, such as the scope
                                        for extortion of natural resources, and for donations from a diaspora
                                        population.

                                        Opportunity may also depend upon factors such as geography: mountains
                                        and forests may be needed to incubate rebellion. We test these
                                        explanations and find that opportunity provides considerably more
                                        explanatory power than grievance. Economic viability appears to be
                                        the predominant systematic explanation of rebellion.

                                        The results are robust to correction for outliers, alternative
                                        variable definition, and variations in estimation method. Greed and
                                        Grievance in Civil War by Paul Collier and Anke Hoeffler

                                        http://www.worldbank.org/research/conflict/papers/greedandgrievance.ht

                                        -----
                                        2. The Russian revolution in particular did not originate from the
                                        Russian people

                                        "The biggest fallacy concerning the Bolshevik Revolution is that it
                                        originated from the people ... from the poor huddled masses. In
                                        reality, it was financed by: a) England's Lord Alfred Milner, b) Wall
                                        Street bankers such as J. P. Morgan & company and the Rockefeller
                                        Family c) Europe's Rothschild dynasty, and d) German bankers such as
                                        Max Warburg, whose brother Paul was the key man in setting up
                                        America's Federal Reserve System.

                                        ...Money for the Bolshevik Revolution came from superrich Western
                                        financiers, some of whom were Americans! In essence, then, the very
                                        core of Communism was a partnership between monopoly-oriented
                                        Capitalists and the international Socialist movement".

                                        http://pub64.ezboard.com/frespectforthetencommandmentsfrm9.showMessage
                                        ?topicID=1.topic

                                      • Olga
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 28, 2004
                                          hello all!

                                          Way back in December, I asked for input on favourite Orthodox "desert
                                          island" reading, and I would like to say a huge thank you to Father
                                          Victor for recommending the book "Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest,
                                          Prisoner, Spiritual Father" and for those of you who are interested,
                                          the publisher is St. Vladimir's Seminary Press.

                                          It took me awhile to get around to finding it, ordering it, and then
                                          reading it, but all I can say is 'wow!'. I was sorry when I got to
                                          the end of the book. So bittersweet, so moving, so inspirational!

                                          It is not my intention to start any arguments here!! But my knowledge
                                          of the Soviet church from the 30's to the 70's is obviously very
                                          limited, which I realized after reading this book. Some of the
                                          believers described in this book were persecuted, they preferred not
                                          to attend the "open" church, and I don't think they were part of the
                                          catacomb church, which raises a question for me - which church might
                                          have they been a part of? This is just for my own personal
                                          information.

                                          And again no arguments please!!!

                                          In Christ,
                                          Olga