[orthodox-synod] Elsewhere in the news...

  • Matanna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 1999
      Today is the feast of St. Artemius, an Egyptian by birth, who was with the
      Emperor Constantine when he saw the Cross in the sky, and converted with him.
      The Emperor Constantus II sent him to bring the relics of St. Andrew from
      Patras and St. Luke from Thebes to Constantinople. He was appointed Imperial
      Representative in Egypt under Constantius II and, for a while, under Julian
      the Apostate....

      You can read about him at:
      http://www.pomog.org/readings/ochrid.shtml

      Things went poorly for St. Artemius under Julian.

      The Prologue tells us, in part:
      >At that time, the Emperor gave two Christian priests, Eugenius and Macarius,
      over to torture. Seeing this, St Artemius was profoundly alarmed, went to the
      Emperor and said to him: 'Why are you so inhumanly torturing these innocent
      and dedicated men, and why are you putting pressure on them to turn back from
      the Orthodox faith?' He also prophesied to the Emperor that his end was near.<

      St. Artemius was stripped of his rank, flogged, and beaten, but Christ
      comforted and healed him in prison.
      Then the Emperor ordered him to be laid out on a flat stone and had another
      stone put on him, crushing his body like a board. Didn't work. Then he had
      him beheaded, in 362.

      The Emperor then went out to fight the Persians, and died a dishonorable
      death.

      It's also the feast of another St. Artemius, the Holy and Righteous, of
      Verkol, who died at 13, of exposure, and his father wasn't able to bury him
      so he placed branches over him.

      TWENTY EIGHT years later, a man saw a light in the forrest, investigated, and
      found the Saint's body. Many of the sick who touched the Saint's relics were
      healed.

      There's also a Greek Saint, St. Gerasim the New, an ascetic who brought rain
      by his prayers, and a Bulgarian Saint, St. Ignatius the New Martyr, who
      voluntarily turned himself over to be tortured by the Turks for Christ. He
      died in 1814.

      Tomorrow is St. Hilarion the Great, Thursday is the Equal to the Apostle St.
      Averky (Abercius), and Friday is St. James, the Brother of the Lord.

      We use Tone Five until Saturday Vespers, when we switch to Tone Six.

      That's all for now.
      Updates as needed....