Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Holy and worldly mathematics

    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 2, 2003
      Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:

      > Vl Seraphim has sent, at about the same moment that the article was
      > published, a letter of about the same content as the article's to Vl
      > Lavr. It would be most interesting to see whether the ROCOR will
      > publish it, but I fear she will not.

      JRS: As I wrote earlier, I had a correspondence with Vl. Seraphim of
      blessed memory, in late 1997 and early 1998, which was before his
      retirement.

      Most of the content was about liturgical matters, as Vl. Seraphim had a
      wonderful knowledge of these things.

      However, one point about "ecclesiology" that did come up, was his clear
      and strong support of our fraternal ties with the Serbian Patriarchate,
      for which he had great respect.

      We have already had long discussions about the authority of "private
      letters" and "personal opinions". But even these had been *signed*
      letters -- not anonymous writings, that appeared under a "nom de
      plume"!

      If Vl. Seraphim sent a private letter [not an "open letter"] to Vl.
      Lavr, and did not desire to make it public, how did you come to read
      it?

    • vkozyreff
      Message 51 of 51 , Dec 8, 2003
        Dear Mr. Boitchenko,

        The most important think for a captain is the safety of the ship and
        crew. Captains can take whatever advice they want, but they should
        take first the advice of their experienced and respected teachers and
        colleagues before they embark for dangerous crossings by new routes
        to new destinations.

        They should also refer to the classical teaching that they followed
        when they were trained. Examples of authoritative messages of caution
        to innovative captains have been numerous on this forum recently (See
        messages 9613, 9695, 9693, etc.etc).

        The fact that those messages of caution are systematically denied,
        ignored or deleted by the shipping company is worrying and seems to
        sign a change in the latter's policy. The management's denial sounds
        like a confirmation. A significant part of the fleet seems to have
        been lost and more losses are predicted.

        In God,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "V. Boitchenko"