Re: Change the subject line

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 2, 2003
      Dear Mr. Boitchenko,

      I believe that my references to the sacred texts were never used to
      support any position that would be against the tradition of the
      Church. As I said before, I believe that the revelation has come to
      us via the scriptures, the tradition and the saints. If we believe in
      Christ, it is first of all because the Church has taught us to do so.

      As you rightly point out, orthodoxy believes in the Church first.
      Whatever position an orthodox takes is subject to immediate amendment
      if it becomes apparent that it is in contradiction with the Church,
      that is to say with the tradition.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "V. Boitchenko"
      <venceslav@s...> wrote:
      > Quoting the Scriptures is one thing. Free interpretation of those
      quotes is another thing. My understanding has always been that it is
      not what we what to see in a particular excerpt from the Scriptures
      but how the Church and the Fathers define it. Is it not what
      Tradition is? Protestants quote the Scriptures all the time but deny
      the Tradition. I hope you, Mr. Kozyrev, do not assume the authority
      of the Church when you make your quotes.

      > Viatcheslav

    • vkozyreff
      Message 51 of 51 , Dec 8, 2003
        Dear Mr. Boitchenko,

        The most important think for a captain is the safety of the ship and
        crew. Captains can take whatever advice they want, but they should
        take first the advice of their experienced and respected teachers and
        colleagues before they embark for dangerous crossings by new routes
        to new destinations.

        They should also refer to the classical teaching that they followed
        when they were trained. Examples of authoritative messages of caution
        to innovative captains have been numerous on this forum recently (See
        messages 9613, 9695, 9693, etc.etc).

        The fact that those messages of caution are systematically denied,
        ignored or deleted by the shipping company is worrying and seems to
        sign a change in the latter's policy. The management's denial sounds
        like a confirmation. A significant part of the fleet seems to have
        been lost and more losses are predicted.