ROCOR News

  • StephenATL
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      How much can you learn in one weekend? Just ask an Orthodox Southerner.

      On the second weekend in November 2003, Orthodox clergy and laity from
      around the region converged on suburban Atlanta for the Southern
      Missions Conference of the Russian Church Abroad. The Parish of St. Mary
      of Egypt was blessed to play host to this gathering for the first time.
      The theme of this year's session was "Living Traditional Orthodoxy."

      Vladika Gabriel presided over the conference. He brought with him the
      ancient and wonderworking Kursk-Root Icon, and on Friday evening at St.
      Mary's, he led the faithful in a Moleben and an Akathist to the icon.
      This miraculous image of Our Holy Lady the Theotokos, which has traveled
      far and wide, was welcomed reverently by the people of the parish and
      our many visitors. It was a humbling experience to venerate it as so
      many pious Orthodox Christians have done before us.

      The first working session began Saturday morning at the auditorium of
      nearby Providence Christian Academy. For this weekend, at least, the
      place was perfectly named.

      Fr. John Moses began by speaking to the assembly about "Living
      Traditional Orthodoxy
      <http://www.allsaintsofamerica.org/orthodoxy/orthodoxlife.html>." Like
      the keynote address of a political convention, it set the tone for all
      that was to follow. But it was not a politician's speech. Fr. John
      reminded us very pointedly how our hearts have become deadened by the
      world.

      He made a stirring call for us to recover our Christian discipline and
      recommit ourselves to the Orthodox faith. He spoke in vivid imagery of
      how we can recover our sense of awe and joy at what the Lord has given
      us through His Church.

      Next on the platform was Fr. George Johnson, who spoke most
      informatively about the Vigil, a service that is beautiful, powerful and
      essential to the life of the Church, but one that is too often
      neglected. Reader Daniel Olson followed with a talk about the Liturgical
      Cycle, and how we can find in the Orthodox Calendar a design for living
      that is far above the world's "busy schedules," which occupy our minds
      and steal our time.

      Later in the day, there were rotating workshops on the Divine Liturgy,
      the Proskomedia and the Moleben and Panikhida. They were led,
      respectively, by Reader Daniel Olson, Fr. Anastasy Yatrelis and Fr.
      Viatcheslav Davidenko

      True to the traditions of Russia and the South, all the classes and
      workshops were informal and unpretentious. Veteran priests came to
      teach, but also to learn. No one was afraid to ask questions of any
      speaker. "Is this custom Orthodox?" "Can I pray for a person in this
      situation?" "Doesn't the Greek Church do that service differently?"
      Every question was answered respectfully and at length.

      At the Proskomedia workshop, the effect of the lesson was even visible
      in some people's faces. As they looked at a facsimile of "The Holy Bread
      Which Is the Lamb," there was a glimmer of understanding and awe in
      their eyes.

      On Saturday evening and Sunday morning, the people filled the chapel of
      St. Mary's for the Vigil and the Hierarchal Liturgy. Just as the Divine
      Liturgy on the Lord's Day is the crown of the week, it was the crown of
      this conference. In his homily at the end of the Liturgy, Vladika
      Gabriel spoke of the need to remain faithful to Orthodoxy in a world
      that is sinful, where even some groups that claim a Christian heritage
      perform blasphemous rites.

      On Sunday afternoon, the conference completed its wind-up sessions.
      After lunch in the Providence auditorium, Vladika and the clergy led a
      roundtable discussion on issues of faith and worship. And this being a
      missions conference, it was appropriate that Fr.Gregory Williams made
      the final presentation. He briefed the conference on the status of
      Mission Haiti, for which he labored mightily over the years.

      The people of St. Mary's are happy to have welcomed so many of our
      brethren during the conference. The brief summations of the speakers'
      remarks in no way do them justice. Even more so, the descriptions of the
      holy services are no substitute for having been there. But we pray that
      this article will encourage attendance at the 2004 Southern Missions
      Conference, scheduled for next November in Mobile, Ala. It will be a
      weekend wisely spent.

      http://stmaryofegypt.org/
    • Fr. Gregory Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
        >How much can you learn in one weekend? Just ask an Orthodox Southerner.

        What a warmly welcome change of fare, Stephen. Thanks so much! Maybe I
        won't sign off this list after all.
      • cdw
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2003
          I'm trying to find the company which posted here or
          was referred to on this site who sells calendars in
          Russian / English. Does anyone have that address
          please? Thank you.

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • Irene Dutikow
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2003
            The Russian Orthodox Youth Committee has a calendar in two languages. You
            can order by e-mailing me. Price is $15.00.... Matushka Irene Dutikow
            > I'm trying to find the company which posted here or
            > was referred to on this site who sells calendars in
            > Russian / English. Does anyone have that address
            > please? Thank you.

            > Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
            > http://companion.yahoo.com/

          • cdw
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
              Thank you to all who offered assistance on my finding
              a calendar.

              J�an-Claude

              http://photos.yahoo.com/
            • balsamifera12
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2005
                Could someone please tell me where I can get a copy of the Church
                Calendar (with directions from the Typikon included) in
                Russian/Slavonic?

                I believe that Jordanville publishes such a thing, but so far I haven't
                been able to find a source from which to buy one.

                Thanks.

                E. Cordier
              • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2005
                  Near San Francisco, CA you can by one in the Holy Virgin Community
                  Bookstore. 26th and Geary Blvd. San Francisco.

                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "balsamifera12"