Memory Eternal - George Kalfov

  • Sergei Kalfov
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      This morning, my father George passed away after long battle with
      Alzheimer's.

      My father was tonsured a reader in Shanghai by St John and served as his
      reader for years, in Shanghai, Tubabao and whenever Vladyka would come to
      Seattle. When Vladyka Ioann reposed, here in Seattle in 1966, my dad was
      the first one to his aide after he had fallen and placed him in the armchair
      where he reposed in my dad's arms. He was the choir director at our St
      Nicholas Cathedral and served on the Parish Council until he retired before
      the alzheimer's took him over.

      He was an active leader in the Russian emgiree community here, as one of the
      founders and charter members of the Russian Community Center in 1953 and
      served as its president for over 20+ years. He spearheaded the acquistion
      of an old theater complex and turning it in to a facility which over the
      past 50 years has become a place where all Russians could get together
      regardless of what jurisdiction they belonged, or whether they emigrated
      from the Far East or Europe, or regardless of faith to live in harmony.

      He was instrumental in ensuring that the Russian community did not feel the
      stigma of era of the cold war here as being a Russian meant that you were a
      Communist. He actively involved the mayors of Seattle, city council members
      as well as the various governors of Washington to participate in Russian
      community events both at the Russian Center as well as St Nicholas.

      He was active in the Seattle business community as well being on the
      forefront of making sure that all Russian émigrés got helped here,
      regardless of when and where they came from. He found jobs and employment
      for many of these to get them and their families on their feet. Tireless,
      he helped interpret for ailing Russians in hospitals, especially when there
      were some serious injuries from Russian fishing boats off the Pacific Coast.

      He gave himself to the church and to the community. He will be missed sorely
      by all. Services are tentatively scheduled for this Friday at St Nicholas.

      Vechnaya Pamyat'

      Sergei Kalfov

    • Nick Steblez
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        Let us never forget our Fathers and Mothers, at whose feet we learned of Holy Orthodoxy! As one whose parents now sleep in our Lord's Arms, I share your pain of the separation, but rejoice with the Holy Angels who stand with them before God's Throne!

        Vechnaya Pamyat' !

        The unworthy servant of God,
        Nicholas Steblez

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
          In a message dated 12/1/2003 9:26:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          skalfov1@... writes:

          > This morning, my father George passed away after long battle with
          > Alzheimer's.

          Dear Sergei Kalfov: Where can we send an alm/offering in his memory and for
          his memory to be eternal in God's Kingdom.

          rdr. john dunn