Re: ROCA Bishops ask forgiveness from

  • cantor71
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      Father, bless:

      <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
      > George Skok wrote:
      >
      > > So it may, in fact, all depend what one is hoping for. Yet here
      > > where I live I have seen that the effect of Vladyka's statement
      has
      > > been, on the most ardent obviously-FSB-inspired unionists...
      >
      > JRS: I do not understand who/what FSB is [Flavian Sergeevitch
      > Bolotov?]. I'm sure that shows gross ignorance of something or
      other...

      FSB = Federal'naya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti = Federal Security Service,
      the successor group to the KGB.

      > to slow
      > > them down and give them reason to think things through,
      >
      > JRS: However, for someone in ROCOR to be in favor of Russian
      Church
      > reconciliation, I believe they would *already* have to have done a
      lot
      > of serious thinking, and for a long time.
      >
      > > and on the
      > > most determined anti-MP aka KGB aka anti-ecclesiastical virus of
      the
      > > day types, to give them hope that what happens next may be
      orderly.

      > JRS: Which, of course, simply shows that some people must have
      been
      > confused and ill-informed.
      >
      > For me, Metropolitan Lavr's statement contained *no* surprises,
      happy
      > or sad.
      >
      > It simply was a reminder of what everyone should have known, to
      begin
      > with: that this visit of our bishops to Moscow was only a "get-
      > acquainted session", and nothing more, for now.

      Unfortunately, where I am, the polarization of views is a reality,
      so there are people who are less well informed about things than one
      would hope. One priest had been giving the impression that there was
      little left to do but dot the i's and cross the t's, and on the
      other side people did not wish to hear one good thing about the
      church in Russia and condemned a union which had not yet taken
      place. The Metropolitans' letter, threfore, came at a good time!

      George
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
        George Skok wrote:

        > Unfortunately, where I am, the polarization of views is a reality,
        > so there are people who are less well informed about things than one
        > would hope. One priest had been giving the impression that there was
        > little left to do but dot the i's and cross the t's, and on the
        > other side people did not wish to hear one good thing about the
        > church in Russia and condemned a union which had not yet taken
        > place. The Metropolitans' letter, threfore, came at a good time!

        JRS: There are few people more deserving of trust than Metropolitan
        Laurus. And he is a *very* careful and safe captain, at the helm of the
        Church's ship!

        As for the "dotting of i's and crossing of t's" -- no doubt; except
        that there are still so many of both, that remain to be dotted and
        crossed!

        What has happened is that the two sides have finally resumed *talking*.
        It remains to begin the process of *rebuilding*.

      • michael nikitin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
          "Resumed *talking*."??

          Didn't know we were talking before these meetings
          of our bishops. Hope early next year Metr.Laurus
          will serve and commune at the Cathedral. I'm tired of
          waiting. They should just do what they'll do anyway
          and give everyone a rest.

          Michael N.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
            In a message dated 12/3/03 2:25:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            nikitinmike@... writes:

            > "Resumed *talking*."??
            >
            > Didn't know we were talking before these meetings
            > of our bishops. Hope early next year Metr.Laurus
            > will serve and commune at the Cathedral. I'm tired of
            > waiting. They should just do what they'll do anyway
            > and give everyone a rest.
            >
            > Michael N.

            Dear Michael,
            I will pass on your above stated feelings next week at the pastoral
            conference.
            Priest Victor Boldewskul