List Guidelines

  • Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      The guidelines below have worked well for several
      lists over the years. The biggest difference
      between YahooGroups lists such as this, and Listserv
      lists such as the ORTHODOX list at Indiana U is
      that Yahoo provides no mechanism for automatically
      limiting the number of postings per person day.

      The ORTHODOX list limits postings to two per day.
      This is sufficient if you consolidate your replies
      by subject. If your response is to a individual
      poster it is better made off-list. Please self-
      limit your daily postings.

      -----------

      Periodic re-posting

      Some list guidelines adapted from the those
      found (by Athanasius Thompson) at the
      Cincinnati Linux Users Group

      =============================

      Keep messages on-topic. This is a group
      centered on issues of interest and benefit
      to the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
      - the "Synod." This list started more
      than ten years ago as the first sub-list of
      ORTHODOX@... , and as such
      has similar guidelines as well as an above
      average diversity of participants.

      Orthodox-Synod, with about 575 members,
      is one of the very largest Orthodox lists on the
      internet. Please use your access responsibly.

      Orthodox-Synod is not a bulletin board for
      posting items for as many people as possible
      to see. Your purpose in contributing should be
      to seek information and explanations etc.. or to
      inform, enrich or edify others, or to seek and
      build orthodox community and mutual understanding,
      connect the isolated, support the struggles of
      others, reflect the love of Christ, support His
      Church and promote the centrality of the Life in
      Christ, not to put something (esp. oneself) on
      display.

      "Praise in public; criticize in private." Some
      disagreements are inevitable but take flames
      off-line from the list.

      Post to the LIST (to all members), not to an
      individual. Personal mail should be private mail.
      Proclamations to the LIST about an individual
      are not allowed.

      Speak to the truth of the facts, quality of the
      premises, and logic of the conclusions of the
      other participants, not to their person (ad hominem).
      If you put another person's name in the subject
      line, you have already crossed the line.

      If you must correct factual errors on the list, be
      polite and correct just the facts. Don't attack
      the author - be careful about uses of "you" and
      "your" in such replies, since they can make the
      response appear to be personal.

      Consider whether your message is really worth
      sending to hundreds of people. If it is, don't
      hesitate.

      Do not send or attach entire documents to the
      list. Send a URL (web address) where interested
      readers can find it. Or offer to send it to those
      who request it.

      See http://www.makeashorterlink.com/ for help
      reducing the size of long links

      Don't send "me too" messages. One-line replies
      of agreement are wasteful. But feel free to respond
      if you have more to say than simple agreement (or
      disagreement - i.e. zingers).

      Remove most of the words quoted from messages
      to which you reply. Delete all but the most relevant
      text which is necessary to establish the context for
      your reply. Keeping an entire thread intact in every
      message is strongly discouraged. Top posting is not
      discouraged as it is on some lists since it is more
      efficient if the entire thread history is not required.

      **** Do not quote more lines of a message than you
      **** actually write yourself.

      If you didn't write it, or you haven't contributed
      anything to a posting's composition, haven't made
      clear its relevance or defined the context (or have
      violated any other guideline), ask yourself why you
      are thinking of sending it.

      Do not post private email correspondence on the
      lists without the permission of the author of the email.
      Private email is just that -- private.

      Not only does this list prohibit non-consensual posting
      of private mail, it also prohibits the consensual posting
      of private mail as a means for a non-member to participate
      at arms-length through others. Such "proxy posting" has
      been the source of many woes.

      "Proxy Posting" is defined as the remote participation on
      a list (by non-member or member) through the posting
      privilege of a third party who is a member of the list. This
      activity is not
      allowed.

      Proxy posting can allow avoidance of personalresponsibility
      for what one says. In this hair-trigger environment we want
      people to be more, not less, responsible. Religious discussions are
      especially prone to abuse in this realm.

      Think twice before cross-posting messages to the Synod
      list and other forums.

      Keep your e-mail signature short - 5 lines or fewer.
      This includes the -- separator line, allowing for up
      to four lines of content.

      Dense text is especially hard to read on a monitor.
      Remember the printed medium guide:

      "White space increases readership"

      Do not BCC anything to the lists - many people have
      mail filters which sort messages into a separate mailbox,
      based on the address on the message. Failure to put the
      list address in the message headers will mess up the mail
      filing for a lot of poeple.

      Members of the Orthodox-Synod list agree to abide by
      the above guidelines. The list owner reserves the right to
      restrict access to anyone from the email list for

      1.Repeated off-topic postings.
      2.Repeated personal attacks.
      3.Repeated disruptive behavior

      Do not sup at your neighbor's table and ridicule the host.
      Criticism of the decisions of ROCA hierarchs is one thing,
      and can be acceptable, but proclamations of judgement on
      ROCA or her hierarchs regarding such things as falling
      into heresy, or schism, or union with the same coming from
      those who are not members of this juridiction are not
      proper to this forum. One would have thought this last
      paragraph unnecessary ....
    • mark gilstrap
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2003
        Reiterating my request of Monday:

        ... two [postings] per day.

        This is sufficient if you consolidate your replies
        by subject. If your response is to an individual
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2003
          A couple of reminders about this list
          from the Group info:

          Group Info
          Language: English

          and from the Guidelines:

          > "Proxy Posting" is defined as the remote participation on
          > a list (by non-member or member) through the posting
          > privilege of a third party who is a member of the list. This
          > activity is not allowed.
        • Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
              Periodic re-posting

              emphasis this round:

              -------------

              Some list guidelines adapted from the
              those found (by Athanasius Thompson)
              at the Cincinnati Linux Users Group

              =============================

              Keep messages on-topic. This is a group
              centered on issues of interest and benefit
              to the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
              - the "Synod." This list started more
              than ten years ago as the first sub-list
              of ORTHODOX@..., and as such
              has similar guidelines -- as well as an
              above average diversity of participants.

              Orthodox-Synod, with about 590 members,
[...]

              thread intact in every message is discouraged.
              History is instead maintained by Subject title
              (so make sure it is releveant) and by date in
              the archives. Top posting is not discouraged
              since it is more efficient when the entire
              thread history is not required.

              Don't send "me too" messages. One-line replies
              of agreement are wasteful. But feel free to
              respond if you have more to say than simple
              agreement (or disagreement - i.e. zingers).

              General rule of thumb:

              **** Do not quote more lines of a message
              **** than you have yourself written.

              If you didn't write it, haven't contributed
[...]

              If membership to this list constitutes the
              basis for private harassment (such as a
              service provider would consider abuse, not
              just negative feedback) send the evidence
              to owner-orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com and
              the abusive member will be contacted to
              provide and explanation/rebuttal before
              removal.

              To stop undesired private feedback to your
              public postings, inform the sender that you
              do not wish to correspond privately (tell
              them to stop). If it continues it will be
              considered to meet the definition of abuse
              above and the offending member will be
              removed.

[...]

              priest Mark
            • Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap
              Message 6 of 7 , May 25, 2005
                Christ is Risen!

                ===============================

                LIST GUIDLEINES (Periodic re-posting)

                emphasis this round:

                Number of posts per day.

                The ORTHODOX list at Indiana University
                which spawned this list runs under the
                software package called LISTSERV. It
                has many features not available through
                yahoogroups. One of those features is
                the ability to limit the number of posts
                per person per day.

                In the '80s we were able to establish a
                voluntary restriction of "2 or 3" postings
                per day, but as time went by the hegemonist
                imperative to dominate the forum by repetitive
                postings overcame far too many people. It
                was then necessary to impose the administrative
                tool in LISTSERV and limit postings to 2 per
                day.

                Yahoogroups does not provide such a function,
                so I call upon each of you to voluntarily
                limit your frequency of posting. Thank you.

                ===============================

                Some list guidelines adapted from the
                those found (by Athanasius Thompson)
                at the Cincinnati Linux Users Group

                -------------

                Keep messages on-topic. This is a group
                centered on issues of interest and benefit
                to the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
                - the "Synod." This list started more
                than ten years ago as the first sub-list
                of ORTHODOX@..., and as such
                has similar guidelines -- as well as an
                above average diversity of participants.

                Orthodox-Synod, with about 760 members
                (250 more than 6 months ago).is one of
[...]

                History is instead maintained in the archives
                by Subject title (so make sure it is relevant)
                and by date. Top posting is not discouraged
[...]

                provide an acceptable explanation/rebuttal
                in lieu of removal.

[...]

                discussions are particularly prone to abuse
                in this realm.

                Think twice before cross-posting messages to
                the Synod list and other forums. Have you ever
                wondered about postinsg taht seem to be coming
                out of left field with no context ro hostory?
                They are probably a cross-posting from elsewhere.
                If you want to introduce to thsi list a topic
                being discussed elsewhere, start a new thread.

                Keep your e-mail signature short - 5 lines or fewer.
                This includes the -- separator line, allowing for
                up to four lines of content.

                Dense text is especially hard to read on a monitor.
                Remember the printed medium guide:

                "White space increases readership"

                Do not BCC anything to the lists - many people have
                mail filters which sort messages into a separate mailbox,
                based on the address on the message. Failure to put the
                list address in the message headers will mess up the mail
                filing for a lot of poeple.

                Members of the Orthodox-Synod list agree to abide by
                the above guidelines. The list owner reserves the right to
                restrict access to anyone from the email list for

                1.Repeated off-topic postings.
                2.Repeated personal attacks.
                3.Repeated disruptive behavior

                Thank you!

                Truly He is Risen!

                priest Mark
              • Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 6, 2006
                  LIST GUIDEINES (Periodic re-posting)

                  beginning in the early '90s.

                  The moderator continues to be priest
                  Mark Gilstrap (www.stjamesok.org)

                  I hope you will find the Synod list
                  informative and enjoyable. Please be
                  assured that you are welcome to
                  participate to whatever degree you wish,
                  or to simply read, if you prefer.

                  Please make sure your real name appears
                  on your subscription. Aliases are not
                  allowed, nor are organizational names
                  allowed w/o a specific responsible human
                  being listed. If you feel strongly that
                  using your real name is detrimental for
                  some reason, please contact me privately
                  and confidentially, to explain.

                  The following are some list guidelines
                  adapted from those found at the Cincinnati
                  Linux Users Group (by Athanasius Thompson
                  who hosted this list at geckonet in 1997)

                  -------------

                  Keep messages on-topic. This is a group
                  centered on issues of interest and benefit
                  to the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
                  aka "the Synod" This list started about
                  fifteen years ago as the first sub-list
                  of ORTHODOX@..., and as such
                  has similar guidelines -- and also an
                  above average diversity of participants.

                  Orthodox-Synod, with about 850 members
                  is one of the largest Orthodox lists on
[...]

                  wondered about postings that seem to be coming
                  out of left field without context or history?
                  This is probably a cross-posting from elsewhere.
                  If you want to introduce to this list a topic
                  being discussed elsewhere, start a new thread.

                  Keep your e-mail signature short - 5 lines or
                  fewer. This includes the -- separator line,
                  allowing for up to four lines of content.

                  Dense text is especially hard to read on a
                  monitor. Remember the printed medium guide:

                  "White space increases readership"

                  Do not BCC anything to the lists - many people
                  have mail filters which sort messages into a
                  separate mailbox, based on the address on the
                  message. Failure to put the list address in
                  the message headers will mess up the mail filing
                  for a lot of people.