Re: Change the subject line

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 1, 2003
      Dear Brother in Christ,

      You mention possible reasons for quoting sacred texts.

      There are however more simple and normal reasons for doing so. The
      sacred texts define the orthodox tradition, and are one of the ways
      the revelation has come to us. Quoting sacred texts is referring to
      the tradition and is part of the tradition. Is it not expected that
      the Christians refer to their teachers, especially in troubled times?

      Moreover, the sacred texts are eternal. Is there anything more actual
      and consoling than Christ's words in Luke 12? He Warns and encourages
      us, gives us the Parable of the Rich Fool, tells us not to worry,
      to be watchful, to expect division because of Him, and to interpret
      the times? Do you see anything wrong in referring to this?

      I suppose you are not advocating a greater use of worldly or apostate
      texts.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:

      > I see a lot of people quoting sacred texts. Is this a way to use
      them
      > as power, as righteousness, a way of being in control, a way of
      being
      > more right or more saved?
      >

      > And it's hard to love,
      > There's so much to hate
      > Hanging on to hope
      > When there is no hope to speak of
      > And the wounded skies above
      > Say it's much too late
      > Well maybe we should all be
      > Praying for time
    • vkozyreff
      Message 51 of 51 , Dec 8, 2003
        Dear Mr. Boitchenko,

        The most important think for a captain is the safety of the ship and
        crew. Captains can take whatever advice they want, but they should
        take first the advice of their experienced and respected teachers and
        colleagues before they embark for dangerous crossings by new routes
        to new destinations.

        They should also refer to the classical teaching that they followed
        when they were trained. Examples of authoritative messages of caution
        to innovative captains have been numerous on this forum recently (See
        messages 9613, 9695, 9693, etc.etc).

        The fact that those messages of caution are systematically denied,
        ignored or deleted by the shipping company is worrying and seems to
        sign a change in the latter's policy. The management's denial sounds
        like a confirmation. A significant part of the fleet seems to have
        been lost and more losses are predicted.

        In God,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "V. Boitchenko"