Re: [orthodox-synod] From the life of Saint Seraphim?

  • Elena Baranov
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2003
      It is too bad one cannot come to this place and venerate St. Seraphim now. According to Russian media reports on recent St. Seraphim celebrations, the faithful were not allowed to come and pray in Sarov because some years ago, it has been made into a top secret military installation and became a "zakrytaya zona", i.e. 'closed area'. No one is allowed into the area, unless they possess top secret military clearance.

      EAB
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
        Could you clarify this please? I know this was true during Soviet times,
        but I know many people who have gone to Sarov and venerated his relics at
        Diveyevo. Most of those did not possess Russian passports, so I am
        surprised that non-Russians could "slip in" but Russians could not.

        Hristofor

      • V. Boitchenko
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
          Diveevo and Sarov are two different places. St. Seraphim himself never visited Diveevo during his life. His relics are at the Monastery in Diveevo not in Sarov. The relics were found and brought from St. Petersburg to Diveevo in 1991. Sarov is no more a restricted area as far as I know. All of the statements in the post by EAB are simply not true. I was in Diveevo myself in 2000 and venerated the relics.

          For more information see http://www.diveevo.ru/

          Could you clarify this please? I know this was true during Soviet times,
          but I know many people who have gone to Sarov and venerated his relics at
          Diveyevo. Most of those did not possess Russian passports, so I am
          surprised that non-Russians could "slip in" but Russians could not.

          Hristofor

          At 10:32 AM 11/29/2003, you wrote:
          >It is too bad one cannot come to this place and venerate St. Seraphim
          >now. According to Russian media reports on recent St. Seraphim
          >celebrations, the faithful were not allowed to come and pray in Sarov
          >because some years ago, it has been made into a top secret military
          >installation and became a "zakrytaya zona", i.e. 'closed area'. No one is
          >allowed into the area, unless they possess top secret military clearance.
          >
          >EAB

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Elena Baranov
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
            Please explain your allegation -- "All of the statements in the post by EAB are simply not true". I would suggest that before making such categorical assertions, you check the geography and contemporary history of the city of Sarov.

            It is a well known fact that in 1946, one of key Soviet nuclear weapons research laboratories was set up in the city of Sarov and the buildings and monastic cells of Sarovskaya Pustyn' monastery were used to accomodate the scientists and equipment. At the same time, the city of Sarov was renamed Arzamas; aka Arzamas-16, a top secret military research installation. In 1994, Arzamas was renamed Kremlev. To date, Sarov remains under the control of MINATOM, i.e. Ministry of Atomic Energy.

            During Soviet times, many cities were frequently renamed, their locations transposed on maps, etc. for reasons of national and military security. Sarov was one of many such cities.

            Russian media and TV broadcasts, when reporting on recent St. Serafim of Sarov celebrations, noted the fact that the faithful could not worship in the Sarov because of its "closed site status". That is why St. Serafim relics are in Diveevo and not in Sarov Pustyn'.

            If you are also questioning the veracity of Russian media, I would suggest you visit the web site of Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) center, which monitors nuclear, chemical and bacteriological weapons facilities around the world. Two of their fact sheets for present day Russia are of relevance -- "Closed Cities and Weapons Complex Developments" and "Closed Nuclear Sites Map and Tables" both of which include city of Sarov along with other similar sites -- Ozersk, Tomsk-7, etc.

            FYI, their web address is www.nti.org.

            EAB
            Diveevo and Sarov are two different places. St. Seraphim himself never visited Diveevo during his life. His relics are at the Monastery in Diveevo not in Sarov. The relics were found and brought from St. Petersburg to Diveevo in 1991. Sarov is no more a restricted area as far as I know. All of the statements in the post by EAB are simply not true. I was in Diveevo myself in 2000 and venerated the relics.

            For more information see http://www.diveevo.ru/

            Could you clarify this please? I know this was true during Soviet times,
            but I know many people who have gone to Sarov and venerated his relics at
            Diveyevo. Most of those did not possess Russian passports, so I am
            surprised that non-Russians could "slip in" but Russians could not.

            Hristofor

            At 10:32 AM 11/29/2003, you wrote:
            >It is too bad one cannot come to this place and venerate St. Seraphim
            >now. According to Russian media reports on recent St. Seraphim
            >celebrations, the faithful were not allowed to come and pray in Sarov
            >because some years ago, it has been made into a top secret military
            >installation and became a "zakrytaya zona", i.e. 'closed area'. No one is
            >allowed into the area, unless they possess top secret military clearance.
            >
            >EAB

          • Hristofor
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
              Where were the relics of St Seraphinm kept before 1917? Sarov or Diveyevo?
              Is the Sarovskaya pustyn' still operating as a lab?

              Hristofor
            • V. Boitchenko
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
                Dear Elena,

                I was in Sarov and Diveevo myself and I can assure you that the relics are in Diveevo. The relics are in Diveevo not because Sarov is a restricted area but because everything in Diveevo is associated with St. Seraphim. His relics were found in SPb in 1991. Their location was unknown to the Orthodox during the Soviet period, therefore the believers had no reason to try to access them in Sarov. My recollection that they were found in the storage room of the Museum of Religion and Atheism (in the Cathedral of the Kazan Mother of God), which now returned to the Church and reconsecrated. In other words, when Sarov was a restricted area St. Seraphim's relics were nowhere near. Now that the relics are in Diveevo Sarov is hardly a restricted area anymore but the relics are in Diveevo and not in Sarov.

                >It is too bad one cannot come to this place and venerate St. Seraphim
                >now. According to Russian media reports on recent St. Seraphim
                >celebrations, the faithful were not allowed to come and pray in Sarov
                >because some years ago, it has been made into a top secret military
                >installation and became a "zakrytaya zona", i.e. 'closed area'. No one is
                >allowed into the area, unless they possess top secret military clearance.
                >
                >EAB

              • hoodpeters
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Elena Baranov"
                  <sungari2@m...> wrote:
                  > Russian media and TV broadcasts, when reporting on recent St.
                  Serafim of Sarov celebrations, noted the fact that the faithful could
                  not worship in the Sarov because of its "closed site status". That
                  is why St. Serafim relics are in Diveevo and not in Sarov Pustyn'.

                  St. Seraphim himself prophesized that his remains would be found not
                  in Sarov, but in Diveevo.

                  In Christ,
                  Dcn. John
                • V. Boitchenko
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
                    St. Seraphim's relics were found in Sarov in 1903 and remained there until 1927 (if my memory serves me right).

                    The Pustyn is still occupied by the VNIIEF, however, a good portion of it has been returned to the Church.

                    http://serafim.sarov.ru/chapters/

                    Another site run by the VNIIEF (there is an English section as well):

                    http://www.vniief.ru/russian/history.html
                    and
                    http://www.vniief.ru/church/index.html

                    and another site with pictures: