Re: Repentance of Sergianism?

  • Reader Timothy Tadros
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2003
      <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:

      > They never
      > > repented for Sergianism.
      JRS: Actually, they have: the Patriarch did so publicly in 1992. It
      might be more accurate to say that "Their repentence has not been
      recognized by some".

      "When some people refer to the fact that Patriarch Alexis
      II "repented " of
      Sergianism in one of his numerous interviews ("Golos" No. 33, p.11),
      this is
      very misleading. Firstly, official ecclesiastic positions and policy
      are made
      by the highest church authority, i.e., by the council of bishops, not
      by one
      hierarch in a newspaper interview even if it is the chief hierarch.
      Secondly,
      the Patriarch Alexis did not repent of Sergianism, but rather
      declared: "I do
      not renounce {i.e. the declaration of Metropolitan Sergius}, for it is
      possible to renounce one'e own history". "...I think that at in the
      present
      year we the Church i.e the Moscow Patriarchate have been able to
      withdarw from
      under the states trivial (sic!) charge and, therefore, we have the
      moral right
      to affirm the fact Metropolitan Sergius's declaration is a fact
      belong to the
      past, and we no longer are guided by it. At the same time, however,
      this does
      not mean that we are against the government...

      The newly elected Alexis II stated that even if the members of the
      Russian Church Abroad were to die as martyrs their sin of schism
      would not be
      washed away! Concerning the accusation the refraining from communion
      is a
      breach of Church discipline the Martyr Cyril of Kazan wrote, "… church
      discipline is capable of preserving its efficacy as long as it is an
      actual
      reflection of the hierarchical conscience of the Orthodox Catholic
      Church;
      and discipline can never itself replace this conscience." He again
      wrote to
      Metropolitan Sergius, "I consider you an usurper of church authority
      and
      refuse to submit to your administrative-ecclesiastical decrees, as
      well as
      the synod that you have established." Metropolitan Sergius in turn
      declared all sacraments performed by those who did not recognize him
      to be invalid.

      etc,
      Rdr Timothy Tadros
    • Benjamin William Champley Waterhouse
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2003
        Father Bless!

        This is news to me, how did they insult Arafat?

        KYRH
        Sinner Benjamin
        <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
        > > They steal our monasteries
        > > and parishes.
        >
        > JRS: The properties in the Holy Land that were given to them by
        Yasser

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2003
          > KYRH/ "Sinner Benjamin" wrote:

          > This is news to me, how did they insult Arafat?

          JRS: After the Synod had given its agreement for Patriarch Alexy II to
          visit several holy places that were in ROCOR hands, Bishop Varnava and
          Abbess Juliana set off into the Palestinian Autonomy, swearing not to
          let the Patriarch *or Yassir Arafat* enter the site at Hebron.

          On learning of this, Arafat sent his police ahead, and secured the area
          so that he could enter it.

          All of this has been described repeatedly on these lists.