[orthodox-synod] Re: on another note

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 1999
      However professorial that question, notice how well it deflected others from
      discussing the salacious.

      At least, I'm glad I gave you a chuckle.

      One of the most important persons in the last thousand years, at least to
      English jurispurdence, was John, King of England. Were it not for John's
      mistakes (or maladministration of the kingdom, take your choice), the barons
      would not have rebelled against him, would not have insisted upon the Magna
      Carta.

      There might have developed a "jury of one's peers" system, even without John,
      but it came much quicker with him. Runnymede and John's concessions came in
      1215.

      And, though torture doubtless continued to exist, and people were accused and
      convicted in what were called "Star Chamber proceedings," still the notion
      that one is innocent until proven to be guilty became the foundation of our
      system of jurispurdence. Thank God for King John! (Father Ambrose is
      right. We never should have abandoned England.)

      Hence, I say that John was very important to western civilization,
      particularly to the Anglo part of it.

      I might think that, even if both my mother and my father were not descended
      from John, via Joan of North Wales (John's bastard). Like a great many of my
      other ancestors, King John has been much maligned.

      In his defense, John even had his charming side. When he was being crowned
      duke of Aquitaine, as the delicate strawberry crown was being set upon his
      head (he was a corpulant, by that time), the people laughed. Realizing he
      must have seemed faintly ridiculous, John looked out at the assembled
      nobility and winked.

      Even important men ought not to take themselves too seriously. Or, so it
      seems to me.

      Father Andrew