Re: Owen

  • theoktist54
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko" <
      StefanVPavlenko@n...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know if the name "Owen" is that of an Orthodox
      Christian
      > origin, if not what is the closest to it in the Orthodox Calendar
      of
      > Saints.

      Yes there is. If you go to the following website http://
      www.odox.net/Icons-Western-Saints.htm you will see that there is a
      listing for a "St. Owen, Holy Hierarch of Wales".

      This site is very good for anyone looking for a listing and icons of
      Western Orthodox Saints.

      God Bless,

      N. Mischkinis
    • theoktist54
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
        StefanVPavlenko@n...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know if the name "Owen" is that of an Orthodox
        Christian
        > origin, if not what is the closest to it in the Orthodox Calendar
        of
        > Saints.

        Yes there is. If you go to the following website http://
        www.odox.net/Icons-Western-Saints.htm you will see that there is a
        listing for a "St. Owen, Holy Hierarch of Wales".

        This site is very good for anyone looking for a listing and icons of
        Western Orthodox Saints.

        God Bless,

        N. Mischkinis
      • StephenATL
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
          I found the following:

          St. Owen (Owin, Ouini) of Lichfield, Hermit (March 3rd or 4th)
          Died 680. Bede mentions Owen as a monk of great merit who forsook high
          office and a distinguished career for the love of his Lord. He came with
          Queen Etheldreda from East Anglia, and was her prime minister and the
          governor of her household. To these great employments he brought not
          only a high sense of duty, but also, under the influence of St. Chad
          (f.d. March 2) and other Celtic missionaries, a growing sense of
          Christian faith and obligation, until there came a day when he resolved
          to surrender his secular offices and devote himself entirely to the
          service of God.

          He did not go about this matter without careful thought, for a man does
          not lightly cast aside rank and honour for the humble and anonymous role
          of a serving monk in a religious community, nor does he easily shed the
          habits of a secular life. The story of his arrival at the monastery of
          Lastingham is worth recalling.

          One day a stranger was observed at its gates seeking admittance. He was
          plainly dressed, but obviously, he was no common pilgrim, and in his
          hand he carried an axe and a hatchet. When asked his business, he
          replied that he had come with all he possessed, having quit all that he
          had, and that he had come not to live idly but to work, hence the axe
          and the hatchet, which he would wield industriously in the service of
          the monastery. "For as he was less capable of meditating on the Holy
          Scriptures, he the more earnestly applied himself to the labour of his
          hands."

          Moved by his sincerity and humility, those who received him took him
          before the bishop, who was none other than the saintly Chad, and he,
          seeing before him in the guise of a labourer the former chamberlain of
          Queen Etheldreda, welcomed him gladly into their fellowship. Thus, Owen
          became their handyman. When the bell sounded, calling the monks to
          their studies, he took his tools and laboured in the fields: cutting
          wood, mending walls and fences, and doing it to the glory of God. He
          was of those of whom it is written: "In the handiwork of their craft is
          their prayer" (Benedictines, Encyclopaedia, Gill).

          (Aug. 24) Owen
          Ouen to possess Though Saint Ouen was a chancellor to the king, he
          also served the Church. Later, he was ordained and became an archbishop
          who encouraged learning and the growth of monasteries. He was known for
          his spirituality and generosity, and he supported missionary activities.

          http://wordbytes.org/saints/names-boys-nr.htm

          St. Owen
          Benedictine monk. Once a steward in the household of St. Etheldreda, he
          entered a Benedictine monastery at Lastingham, England, under St. Chad.
          He later migrated to Lichfield, following St. Chad. d. 680 (March
          4). http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=4929

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
            Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko wrote:

            > Does anyone know if there is a Orthodox Christian Saint with the name
            > Owen, if not what would be the closest to it?

            JRS: "Owen" can be treated as the same name as "Evan", or as a Welsh
            form of the names Eugene or John.

            There are also several early Western Saints named "Owen":

            St. Owen, Archbishop, in Rouen, Normandy (Aug. 24 OS).

            St. Owen, hermit, near Lichfield, England (March 3).

            St. Owen [Hywin] of Averdaron (Jan. 6).

            Translation of relics (June 7).

            St. Owen of Lastingham, disciple of St. Etheldreda (March 4).

            Tr. of relics (May 5).

            Then, there is St. EVAN, hermit of Ayrshire in Scotland (Aug. 18).

            There is St. EVANGELUS, hieromartyr, at Tomi (Costanza) Romania (July
            7).

            In Christ
            Fr John R. Shaw