Re: [orthodox-synod] Owen

  • mark gilstrap
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
      Yevgeni

      Not defnitive, but I did find this:
      The meaning of Owen
      Origin: Celtic
      Meaning: Young fighter.

      Origin: English
      Meaning: Variant of Ewen: Variant of Eoghan or Eugene.

      Origin: Greek
      Meaning: Variant of Eugene: Well-born. Famous bearer: Prince Eugene of
      Savoy.

      Origin: Welsh
      Meaning: Young warrior. Also can be a variant of Eugene: Well-born.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
        Thanks to all!
      • theoktist54
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko" <
          StefanVPavlenko@n...> wrote:
          > Does anyone know if the name "Owen" is that of an Orthodox
          Christian
          > origin, if not what is the closest to it in the Orthodox Calendar
          of
          > Saints.

          Yes there is. If you go to the following website http://
          www.odox.net/Icons-Western-Saints.htm you will see that there is a
          listing for a "St. Owen, Holy Hierarch of Wales".

          This site is very good for anyone looking for a listing and icons of
          Western Orthodox Saints.

          God Bless,

          N. Mischkinis
        • theoktist54
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
            StefanVPavlenko@n...> wrote:
            > Does anyone know if the name "Owen" is that of an Orthodox
            Christian
            > origin, if not what is the closest to it in the Orthodox Calendar
            of
            > Saints.

            Yes there is. If you go to the following website http://
            www.odox.net/Icons-Western-Saints.htm you will see that there is a
            listing for a "St. Owen, Holy Hierarch of Wales".

            This site is very good for anyone looking for a listing and icons of
            Western Orthodox Saints.

            God Bless,

            N. Mischkinis
          • StephenATL
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
              I found the following:

              St. Owen (Owin, Ouini) of Lichfield, Hermit (March 3rd or 4th)
              Died 680. Bede mentions Owen as a monk of great merit who forsook high
              office and a distinguished career for the love of his Lord. He came with
              Queen Etheldreda from East Anglia, and was her prime minister and the
              governor of her household. To these great employments he brought not
              only a high sense of duty, but also, under the influence of St. Chad
              (f.d. March 2) and other Celtic missionaries, a growing sense of
              Christian faith and obligation, until there came a day when he resolved
              to surrender his secular offices and devote himself entirely to the
              service of God.

              He did not go about this matter without careful thought, for a man does
              not lightly cast aside rank and honour for the humble and anonymous role
              of a serving monk in a religious community, nor does he easily shed the
              habits of a secular life. The story of his arrival at the monastery of
              Lastingham is worth recalling.

              One day a stranger was observed at its gates seeking admittance. He was
              plainly dressed, but obviously, he was no common pilgrim, and in his
              hand he carried an axe and a hatchet. When asked his business, he
              replied that he had come with all he possessed, having quit all that he
              had, and that he had come not to live idly but to work, hence the axe
              and the hatchet, which he would wield industriously in the service of
              the monastery. "For as he was less capable of meditating on the Holy
              Scriptures, he the more earnestly applied himself to the labour of his
              hands."

              Moved by his sincerity and humility, those who received him took him
              before the bishop, who was none other than the saintly Chad, and he,
              seeing before him in the guise of a labourer the former chamberlain of
              Queen Etheldreda, welcomed him gladly into their fellowship. Thus, Owen
              became their handyman. When the bell sounded, calling the monks to
              their studies, he took his tools and laboured in the fields: cutting
              wood, mending walls and fences, and doing it to the glory of God. He
              was of those of whom it is written: "In the handiwork of their craft is
              their prayer" (Benedictines, Encyclopaedia, Gill).

              (Aug. 24) Owen
              Ouen to possess Though Saint Ouen was a chancellor to the king, he
              also served the Church. Later, he was ordained and became an archbishop
              who encouraged learning and the growth of monasteries. He was known for
              his spirituality and generosity, and he supported missionary activities.

              http://wordbytes.org/saints/names-boys-nr.htm

              St. Owen
              Benedictine monk. Once a steward in the household of St. Etheldreda, he
              entered a Benedictine monastery at Lastingham, England, under St. Chad.
              He later migrated to Lichfield, following St. Chad. d. 680 (March
              4). http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=4929

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
                Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko wrote:

                > Does anyone know if there is a Orthodox Christian Saint with the name
                > Owen, if not what would be the closest to it?

                JRS: "Owen" can be treated as the same name as "Evan", or as a Welsh
                form of the names Eugene or John.

                There are also several early Western Saints named "Owen":

                St. Owen, Archbishop, in Rouen, Normandy (Aug. 24 OS).

                St. Owen, hermit, near Lichfield, England (March 3).

                St. Owen [Hywin] of Averdaron (Jan. 6).

                Translation of relics (June 7).

                St. Owen of Lastingham, disciple of St. Etheldreda (March 4).

                Tr. of relics (May 5).

                Then, there is St. EVAN, hermit of Ayrshire in Scotland (Aug. 18).

                There is St. EVANGELUS, hieromartyr, at Tomi (Costanza) Romania (July
                7).

                In Christ
                Fr John R. Shaw