Fire Update: Thank God, All is Well

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28 11:25 AM
      Dear friends on the list.

      Thank you all for your prayers and expressions of support.

      Through the intercession of the Holy Mother of God and of the saints, Our
      Lord has been merciful to us.

      The terrible fire stopped just over the last ridge near our house--less
      than a mile away. The smoke was black and towering. The animals were
      frantic. All were prepared to evacuate--we had rented a van to carry what
      we could.

      And then--the fire simply started to move away. No homes were touched.

      We stayed at the house, prepared to leave if the fire threatened again--but
      by morning it was clear that the fire was nowhere near us.

      Thanking God for His unceasing mercies toward us, sinners,

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Sandra Thompson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28 4:36 PM
        Wonderful! Praise God in all things!
        At 11:25 AM 10/28/2003 -0800, you wrote:
        >Dear friends on the list.
        >
        >Thank you all for your prayers and expressions of support.
        >
        >Through the intercession of the Holy Mother of God and of the saints, Our
        >Lord has been merciful to us.
        >
        >The terrible fire stopped just over the last ridge near our house--less
        >than a mile away. The smoke was black and towering. The animals were
        >frantic. All were prepared to evacuate--we had rented a van to carry what
        >we could.
        >
        >And then--the fire simply started to move away. No homes were touched.
        >
        >We stayed at the house, prepared to leave if the fire threatened again--but
        >by morning it was clear that the fire was nowhere near us.
        >
        >Thanking God for His unceasing mercies toward us, sinners,
        >

        >With love in Christ,
        >
        >Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

      • Graham (Elias) Reeves
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29 1:26 PM
          Has anyone heard if this fire has affected the St. Herman's Monastery
          in Platina?

          -Elias in Michigan
        • Paul O. BARTLETT
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29 5:11 PM
            On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Graham (Elias) Reeves wrote:

            > Has anyone heard if this fire has affected the St. Herman's Monastery
            > in Platina?
            >
            > -Elias in Michigan

            I haven't heard specifically, but I doubt it. The fires are in
            southern California, in the regions of Los Angeles and San Diego. The
            St. Herman monastery is in far northern California.

            --
            Paul Bartlett
            bartlett at smart.net
            PGP key info in message headers
          • Graham (Elias) Reeves
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29 6:24 PM
              I guess no news is good news. One report that I heard mentioned
              that fires were found as far north as Mt. Shasta, so I just thought
              I'd check.

              Elias in Michigan

              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Paul O. BARTLETT"
              <bartlett@s...> wrote:
              > On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Graham (Elias) Reeves wrote:
              >
              > > Has anyone heard if this fire has affected the St. Herman's
              Monastery
              > > in Platina?
              > >
              > > -Elias in Michigan
              >
              > I haven't heard specifically, but I doubt it. The fires are in
              > southern California, in the regions of Los Angeles and San Diego.
              The
              > St. Herman monastery is in far northern California.
              >
              > --
              > Paul Bartlett
              > bartlett at smart.net
              > PGP key info in message headers
            • flue mail
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 30 6:16 AM
                There was a fire near Platina about a week ago. It threatened the monastery
                but by God's grace turned away. A 1700 acre fire in eastern Shasta county
                was this week, far from the monastery but threatened some parishioners
                homes. Two days ago it was 97 degrees. Tonight it may snow to 3000 ft. A
                good snow or rain would be a great blessing in terms of fire season.
                Paul Ferrari
                St Andrew Serbian church
                Redding, Ca.
                flue@...