Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: My Great Concern! Your councel.....

  • zina kochnaya
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 11, 2003
      I don't think you know what you are talking about, Father.
      I don't understand you. Anathema is cutting off. So,
      it does not matter what church it is Episcopalian or Serbian.
      Since they are in WCC, where they all pray together, then,
      they are under ROCOR's anathema of 1983 and 1998.
      But, since MP and OCA consider ROCOR schismatics,
      then this Anathema does not mean anything to them.

      That's what I learned from this list.
      Zina
      orthodoxchurch_sg <orthodoxchurch_sg@...> wrote:
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, zina kochnaya <zikonaya@y...>
      wrote:
      > What does Anathema of 1983 and 1998 anathematize?

      There are two possible answers ~

      a) just reading it, it clearly refers to those who hold the 'Branch
      Theory', a perculiarly Anglican idea, and one which is certainly not
      held or taught by any of the Historical Orthodox Churches.

      b) the Anathema must be applied and interpreted according to the
      official teaching of the Synod of Bishops who issued it. Again, ROCOR
      clearly does not understand it to mean it has anathematised any of
      the Historical Orthodox Churches.

      But as I said, we have been round and round on this one.
      Paradoxically those who wish to see the Anathema to be wide-ranging
      (and apply it to almost everyone but themselves) tend to be those who
      have left the Synod of Bishops who gave the Anathema its authority ~
      HOCNA, ROCiE, ROAC. While denying ROCOR grace, they base their
      eccentric ecclesiology on an even more eccentric interpretation of a
      document issued by a Church they do not recognise!

      God bless / Fr Daniel

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • michael nikitin
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 12, 2003
        The WCC is an organization built upon the "branch theory".
        ROCOR pronounced it in 1983 and
        reaffirmed it in 1998. If it doesn't fall on those in WCC who didn't
        proclaim it then it most
        certainly falls on those who proclaimed it, but transgress it.

        Anathema Against Ecumenism:
        "Those who attack the Church of Christ by teaching that Christ's Church
        is
        divided into so-called "branches" which differ in doctrine and way of
        life,
        or that the Church does not exist visibly, but will be formed in the
        future
        when all "branches" or sects or denominations, and even religions will
        be
        united into one body; and who do not distinguish the priesthood and
        mysteries of the Church from those of the heretics, but say that the
        baptism
        and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation; therefore, to
        those
        who knowingly have communion with these aforementioned heretics or who
        advocate, disseminate, or defend their new heresy of Ecumenism under
        the
        pretext of brotherly love or the supposed unification of separated
        Christians, Anathema!"

        Michael N.