Re: [orthodox-synod] Lessons Learned.

  • frvboldewskul@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
      This reminds me of another Fr. Kypian story. As many know, Father
      Archimandrite Kyprian was the spiritual father for thousands of Orthodox Christians
      during his life, and was the spiritual father for scores upon scores of seminarians
      who became priests. His iconography (and the school he established) make him,
      in my view, a theologian. His icon of the New Martyrs of Russia has become
      the symbol of the Russian Church Abroad in Russia. Archimandrite Kyprian was a
      true authority throughout our Church.

      In the summer of 1990 (when I was still a seminarian), a monk from the Pskov
      Percherski Monastery, Fr. Anastasius, was visiting Holy Trinity Monastery in
      Jordanville. I had met Fr. Anastasius the previous summer when I was in Russia.
      He was extremely helpful to me. Not knowing that he was in the Monastery, I
      was walking back to my room to the Seminary building from the Monastery
      printshop when I saw him in the reception room, through the window. He was talking
      to Fr. Kyprian. [Vladyka Laurus was away for several weeks (I think he was in
      Jerusalem) and Fr. Kyprian was in charge of the Monastery during Vladyka's
      absence.] As I looked through the window, Fr. Kyprian was showing so much
      kindness and joy. When I walk in and greeted Fr. Anastasius (or rather, interrupted
      their conversation) Fr. Kyprian rejoiced that he saw two friends saying hello.
      He treated Fr. Anastasius with love, respect and honor. He never said that
      "you can't serve here," because he knew Fr. Anastasius knew that already. I
      was "ordered" by Father Kyprian to take good care of our guest, and every day
      he asked "how is Batushka, does he need anything." What Fr. Anastasius saw
      that week in Jordanville was the true Russian Church Abroad. He encountered our
      Church's anchor and roots.

      Some have asked "why the rush to dialogue." Dear Orthodox-Synod list
      members, the process began no later than that summer day in 1990. It is true that
      that spirit was not followed up by others, even in the Monastery, but I have no
      doubt that Fr. Kyprian is rejoicing as he watches his spiritual children lead
      our Church back, as Vladyka Kyrill noted, "by miraculous means," ..."to its
      original path, the path of its founders." Last Monday would have been Fr.
      Kyprian's name's day. May his memory be eternal!

      In Christ,
      Priest Victor Boldewkul