Re: [orthodox-synod] Lessons Learned.

  • Symeon
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
      Sorry, but this lister doesn't grock Russian...

      "lochmatow" <lochmven@...> writes:
      > " ZABILI TEBYA SPROSIT ".

      Babblefish renders this as:

      " CLOGGED TEBYA IT WILL ASK ".

      Somehow I think this isn't close.

      /Symeon
    • cantor71
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
        Ha!

        It means, "We forgot to ask you."

        George

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Symeon <fyh@n...> wrote:
        > Sorry, but this lister doesn't grock Russian...
        >
        > "lochmatow" <lochmven@n...> writes:
        > > " ZABILI TEBYA SPROSIT ".
        >
        > Babblefish renders this as:
        >
        > " CLOGGED TEBYA IT WILL ASK ".
        >
        > Somehow I think this isn't close.
        >
        > /Symeon
      • boulia_1
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
          Or "THEY forgot..."

          ... And I'm sure anyone who has known O. Kiprian can HEAR him saying
          this pearl of wisdom... In its cutting conciseness, it's classic!!

          ---Elizabeth

        • frvboldewskul@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
            This reminds me of another Fr. Kypian story. As many know, Father
            Archimandrite Kyprian was the spiritual father for thousands of Orthodox Christians
            during his life, and was the spiritual father for scores upon scores of seminarians
            who became priests. His iconography (and the school he established) make him,
            in my view, a theologian. His icon of the New Martyrs of Russia has become
            the symbol of the Russian Church Abroad in Russia. Archimandrite Kyprian was a
            true authority throughout our Church.

            In the summer of 1990 (when I was still a seminarian), a monk from the Pskov
            Percherski Monastery, Fr. Anastasius, was visiting Holy Trinity Monastery in
            Jordanville. I had met Fr. Anastasius the previous summer when I was in Russia.
            He was extremely helpful to me. Not knowing that he was in the Monastery, I
            was walking back to my room to the Seminary building from the Monastery
            printshop when I saw him in the reception room, through the window. He was talking
            to Fr. Kyprian. [Vladyka Laurus was away for several weeks (I think he was in
            Jerusalem) and Fr. Kyprian was in charge of the Monastery during Vladyka's
            absence.] As I looked through the window, Fr. Kyprian was showing so much
            kindness and joy. When I walk in and greeted Fr. Anastasius (or rather, interrupted
            their conversation) Fr. Kyprian rejoiced that he saw two friends saying hello.
            He treated Fr. Anastasius with love, respect and honor. He never said that
            "you can't serve here," because he knew Fr. Anastasius knew that already. I
            was "ordered" by Father Kyprian to take good care of our guest, and every day
            he asked "how is Batushka, does he need anything." What Fr. Anastasius saw
            that week in Jordanville was the true Russian Church Abroad. He encountered our
            Church's anchor and roots.

            Some have asked "why the rush to dialogue." Dear Orthodox-Synod list
            members, the process began no later than that summer day in 1990. It is true that
            that spirit was not followed up by others, even in the Monastery, but I have no
            doubt that Fr. Kyprian is rejoicing as he watches his spiritual children lead
            our Church back, as Vladyka Kyrill noted, "by miraculous means," ..."to its
            original path, the path of its founders." Last Monday would have been Fr.
            Kyprian's name's day. May his memory be eternal!

            In Christ,
            Priest Victor Boldewkul