Re: [orthodox-synod] My Great Concern for Your Council.....

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2003
      Well then, pray:

      PRAYERS FOR A CHURCH SOBOR [Council].

      A. As texts inserted at the Divine Liturgy:

      At the Proscomide, when the priest commemorates the Metropolitan or
      ruling hierarch, he adds this Prayer:

      O Lord Jesus Christ our God, accept this sacrifice unto the remission
      of sins of Thy servants (here he commemorates all the bishops of the
      Sobor): and all the clergy gathered at this Sobor and in Thy name,
      and send down upon them the grace of Thy Holy Spirit, for good and
      profitable counsel unto the benefit of all, and unto the
      confirmation of the Orthodox Catholic faith and piety, the good order
      of the Church, and all that works for the wellbeing of souls, that
      the wonderful glory of Thy most holy name may be increased and
      multiplied.

      At the beginning of the Divine Liturgy, at the Great Litany, after
      the Petition ""For travelers by sea…", the following Petitions are
      added:

      For the consecration of the souls and bodies of [us] all, who have
      come together in the name of the Lord at this holy Sobor, and those
      present in this holy and all-honorable temple, and those who desire
      to be granted the Grace of the Holy Spirit, let us pray to the Lord.

      That we may be cleansed from all our sins, and be found worthy to be
      a temple and a dwelling-place of the Holy Spirit, let us pray to the
      Lord.

      That we may, without corruption, keep the Orthodox faith, and
      unfeigned love [charity], and unshaken hope by the grace of the Holy
      Spirit, let us pray to the Lord.

      That the grace and gift of the Most Holy Spirit may come upon us, and
      enlighten our hearts and minds with the light of His true, Divine
      understanding, unto the confirmation of the Orthodox faith and piety,
      let us pray to the Lord.

      That the Spirit of wisdom and reason and of all good counsel may be
      given by grace to those who have rule of the Church, unto the
      confirmation of the Orthodox faith and piety, and unto good order in
      the Church, let us pray to the Lord.

      That in harmony and one accord, without any fraternal dissonance and
      division, all that is unto the strengthening of His holy Church may
      be counseled and taught, by the power, and action, and Grace of the
      All-holy Spirit, let us pray to the Lord.

      That they may be given the word at their lips, and the power in the
      word, strength and boldness, for the uprooting of every heresy,
      blasphemy and deceit, wickedness and every disturbance of good order,
      unto the implanting of the right Faith and devotion and of all good
      Church order and of good morals, by the grace of the Holy Spirit, let
      us pray to the Lord.

      That He may hearken unto this fervent prayer of us sinners, and
      mercifully fulfill it, let us pray to the Lord.

      Here the Litany continues as usual with the Petition, "That we may be
      delivered from all tribulation…"

      After the Entrance with the Gospel, the Tropar and Kontakion of
      Pentecost are sung, and the Theotokion "O Protection of Christians…"

      The Prokeimenon of the Day [if it is to be sung], and the following:
      Prokeimenon T. 4:
      Thy good Spirit* Shall lead us in the land of uprightness. Verse:
      Create in us a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit wihin us.

      The Epistle for the Day, followed by this:

      I Corinthians 12:18-13:8.

      BRETHREN: Ye are the body of Christ, and members in part.
      28 And God indeed hath set some in the church; first apostles,
      secondly prophets, thirdly doctors; after that miracles; then the
      graces of healing, helps, governments, kinds of tongues,
      interpretations of speeches.
      29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all doctors?
      30 Are all workers of miracles? Have all the grace of healing? Do all
      speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
      31 But be zealous for the better gifts. And I shew unto you yet a
      more excellent way.
      IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not
      charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
      2 And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and
      all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove
      mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
      3 And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I
      should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it
      profiteth me nothing.
      4 Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not
      perversely; is not puffed up;
      5 Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger,
      thinketh no evil;
      6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth;
      7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things,
      endureth all things.
      8 Charity never falleth away.

      Alleluia, [of the day, and then:] Verse: Cast us not away from Thy
      presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from us.

      Gospel: Matth. (Zachalo [or pericope] 75): 18:10-22.

      The Lord said: See that ye despise not one of these little ones: for
      I say to you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my
      Father who is in heaven.
      11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
      12 What think ye? If a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them
      should go astray: doth he not leave the ninety-nine in the mountains,
      and go to seek that which is gone astray?
      13 And if it so be that he find it: Amen I say to you, he rejoiceth
      more for that, than for the ninety-nine that went not astray.
      14 Even so it is not the will of your Father, who is in heaven, that
      one of these little ones should perish.
      15 But if thy brother shall offend against thee, go, and rebuke him
      between thee and him alone. If he shall hear thee, thou shalt gain
      thy brother.
      16 And if he will not hear thee, take with thee one or two more: that
      in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may stand.
      17 And if he will not hear them: tell the church. And if he will not
      hear the church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican.
      18 Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be
      bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth,
      shall be loosed also in heaven.
      19 Again I say to you, that if two of you shall consent upon earth,
      concerning any thing whatsoever they shall ask, it shall be done to
      them by my Father who is in heaven.
      20 For where there are two or three gathered together in my name,
      there am I in the midst of them.
      21 Then came Peter unto him and said: Lord, how often shall my
      brother offend against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
      22 Jesus saith to him: I say not to thee, till seven times; but till
      seventy times seven.

      After the Gospel, at the Litany add this Petition:

      Again we pray for...

      (here the Bishops present are mentioned by name),

      and for all the clergy who have gathered at this holy Sobor in the
      name of the Lord, that the Lord our God will send down upon them the
      grace and gift of the All-Holy Spirit, and enlighten their mind with
      the light of His Divine understanding and truth, and make clear their
      lips and tongue, that they may counsel, proclaim and order all things
      unto the greater glory of His holy name, unto the confirmation of the
      Orthodox faith, the edification of the faithful people, and the
      furtherance of good Church order and good morals, and the uprooting
      and extermination of every heresy, disorder and wickedness, and do
      all things perfectly by the power and action and indwelling of the
      Holy Spirit.

      The choir sings "Lord have mercy" thrice with the greatest
      sweet-singing.

      The rest of the Divine Liturgy follows as usual, and after
      the Communion Verse of the day, the following is sung in T. 8:

      Take not Thy Holy Spirit from us, we pray Thee, O Lover of Mankind.
      Alleluia.

      B. This service as a Moleben:

      After the full beginning, Ps. 142, "O Lord hear my prayer".

      Great Litany with special Petitions as above.

      Before the Troparia, insert "God is the Lord", T. 8.

      After the Litany of Fervent Supplication, with the special Petition
      as above, we read the Prayer from the Proscomide, substituting "this
      Prayer" for "this Sacrifice", and with the concluding Doxology, "For
      Thine it is…"

      Dismissal, and Many Years.